yanagurl136
ShyreWolf

Should swearing in HS soccer be penalized with an immediate red card?

ShyreWolf has forfeited round #2.
Started: 10/21/2017 Category: Sports

yanagurl136

Pro

As many schools state in their athletic code, sports are supposed to be a fun, healthy way to encourage kids to stay busy and I quite agree. Sports are fun but a certain measure of enforcement must be put in place not only to protect the athletes but also to ensure good sportsmanship and that everyone is having a fun time.

Carding in soccer has always been a touchy subject but I believe that if you say something that would be considered a cuss world (including saying "s**t" after missing the ball) should be penalized with a red card because that is definitely detracting from the overall atmosphere on the field and from the fun factor of the game.
ShyreWolf

Con

I ACCEPT MATE
yanagurl136

Pro

Firstly (and most importantly) it is completely uncalled for. Soccer is a rough sport, and an extremely physical sport and especially in girls' soccer, people get ramped up because no one likes to win. No one likes to be made a fool of or juked around or any of that.

But sportsmanship should and is number # always when it comes to HS sports. This isn't FIFA and these aren't pro soccer players. They make mistakes. All the time. But there is never a reason to cuss. Ever.
Posted by JJDebates 2 months ago
JJDebates
Ok I'm a high school soccer player and I think that it seems unnecessary to give a player a red card just because he/she fell and he/she said s**t. It's unintentional and he/she wasn't trying to direct it at someone. It was a complete accident. When people reach our age,everybody tends to swear a lot. This is not a family atmosphere, people don't come to our games to watch teenage guys being as polite as possible. Those people don't care about that, they care about the game itself, no matter how rough it gets. These people come to our games knowing we will swear and get physical to win games, just as long as we don't cheat or get into fights.
Posted by JJDebates 2 months ago
JJDebates
Posted by SJM 2 months ago
SJM
1) Nowhere in the topic nor in your opening round did you mention nor exclude public vs private swearing. The topic clearly says

"Should swearing in HS soccer be penalized with an immediate red card?"

If someone debates you arguing that any type of swearing is encompassed by your topic, you can't respond by saying "oh but that's private, that's different." No one can read your mind and foresee that you meant this and not that.

You don't say some swearing, nor only these kinds of swearing, you just say swearing. Which means that the type of swearing you mention that would usually end in a yellow card, would also be in dispute as to whether it should be penalized with a red card. The argument is still valid.

2) This also assumes that the referee and the player hears it which is not very likely. And if you don't buy that, then let's change the story to where more than just the ref and player hears it. Should he still be penalized? Answer is clear here.
Posted by yanagurl136 2 months ago
yanagurl136
Techniqually it is not what you would call "public" meaning that it is only you and possibly the ref hearing it which would most likely be either a verbal warning or a caution (yellow card)
Posted by SJM 2 months ago
SJM
Highschool
Posted by yanagurl136 2 months ago
yanagurl136
@SJM What level are you playing? Competitive? Professional? Youth? Rec? Or HS?
Posted by SJM 2 months ago
SJM
I'm running and someone sticks their leg in front of me. I fall and in the short time before I hit the ground, I instinctively say "sh*t". The referee checks if I'm okay, I get up able to play, but before I do the referee says I'm out of the game for swearing.

Is this call really justified?