Carnajusa
HaileyL

Should taxes be spent on welfare?

HaileyL
Started: 4/2/2015 Category: Economics

Carnajusa

Con

Basically money that people work for is going to people who don't work and allowing them to live jobless lives. It is an extreme waste of money and doesn't strengthen our economy it only cripples it. Instead it should be spent to get homeless people jobs and homes and a boost to live a normal life rather than normal healthy people living off it forever. This would insure everyone gets a job and not have homeless struggle for money.
HaileyL

Pro

1) Welfare is a federal program

Welfare is a federal program that is meant to be payed for with tax money because taxes are the government's primary source of revenue.

2) Recipients cannot live off welfare

Most welfare programs like S.N.A.P are only available for brief periods of time. The longest the government can provide welfare for is five years.
S.N.A.P- 3 months
T.A.N.F- 60 months (must have a job within 24 months)

3) 2 out 3 of welfare recipients are children

3/4 of T.A.N.F recipients are children, who cannot provide for themselves.

4) Welfare is an incredibly small portion of the budget
Welfare abuse is nearly impossible in this day and age, but when it does occur it has absolutely no major impact on the economy. Welfare only accounts for 11% of the federal budget. This ludicrous argument made by the Con is the equivalent of saying that a person losing a tooth is detrimental to their health.

http://www.childtrends.org...

http://www.forwardprogressives.com...

http://www.cbpp.org...
Carnajusa

Con

Carnajusa forfeited this round.
HaileyL

Pro

Extend all my arguments
Carnajusa

Con

Carnajusa forfeited this round.
HaileyL

Pro

The Con forfeited this debate vote Pro.
Posted by peda00 2 years ago
peda00
As a rule i do not agree with welfare. That being said my best friend came from Latvia with his mom and dad and 4 out 5 siblings. They were on welfare at first 15 years ago. Now all 4 of them have college degrees and jobs. That situation the system worked. Some help at first generated four higher education income jobs which they pay taxes on. Now as a personal choice i refuse to be on any type of government assistance. I work i make my own way. I don't have kids because at the time I could not afford them. I am no different than anyone else in fact i have to overcome personal struggles like dislexia ADD and extremely shy. I make a decent income at times by my choice i support kids not my own. I just don't see why people get benefits with out having to contribute. I don't want to appear insensitive I just know a lot of people that take advantage of the system. For the record i feel completely justified calling people out on benefits I am not different from them (other than having a job) i I one time came to the point of taking a job that would pay so well my money problems would be solved or i would die and money would not be an issue. i do think welfare has a place but there needs to be strict guide lines
Posted by lord_megatron 2 years ago
lord_megatron
why are you against your resolution then? you have written argument for pro not con
Posted by Cazaam 2 years ago
Cazaam
I'd try this debate if I knew what exactly we were talking about. Are we talking about lazy douches who do nothing or are we talking about giving homeless people shelter or a new suit for an interview? What exactly are we on about? If it was the second, I believe I could take you on.
Posted by genecroix 2 years ago
genecroix
I would challenge this but you should clarify what you define as welfare, because giving homeless people a boost in order to get a job is basically welfare, and much of welfare is spent to keep people from becoming homeless in the first place.
Posted by JesusYoloSwag 2 years ago
JesusYoloSwag
id take this if you drew the line first
Posted by ronanomalley 2 years ago
ronanomalley
Though I agree with the points you make, where do you draw the line? In other words where can you definitively say "Okay, you don't deserve this money as much as this other person"?
Vote Placed by Nac 2 years ago
Nac
CarnajusaHaileyLTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Con's forfeit leads to this point going to pro automatically. Spelling and Grammar - Tied. Both sides had notable errors. Arguments - Pro's numerous facts annihilated Con's bare assertions. Because the resolution denotes a shared BOP, Pro needed to only provide a more substantial case than Con, which was easily fulfilled. Sources - Pro used sources. No more explanation needed on this front.