LogicalPen
Seth_MIller

Should taxes for smoking be raised?

LogicalPen
Started: 12/14/2016 Category: Economics

LogicalPen

Con

Now, I don't smoke, but here are my thoughts on this. If taxes for cigarettes were increased, sure, people would probably think something along the lines of "But, that would mean that the price for cigarettes would increase. How is that bad?" I have two words for you. Black market. I will explain more in the next round. Also, this is my first making a debate, so if the format of this doesn't make sense, I apologize. Thank you and good luck.
Seth_MIller

Pro

I also do not smoke, so this is easy for me to say. I think we should increase the taxes on smoking should be increased. Cigarettes are very expensive as it is, costing up to $8 a pack. By increasing the tax it would make them even more expensive. If you raise the taxes overall it makes it more expensive the more expensive something is the harder it is to pay for, and less people have it. By increasing the taxes I think it would force many people to stop smoking because they would not be able to afford it, if they can afford it but it is putting a dent in there monthly income they might try to find ways to quit. So what I am saying is that if you raise the taxes for smoking more people would stop smoking and less people would be smoking. Which always helps the environment, because less smoke will be put into the air, and there will be less cigarettes thrown on the ground. Also people being forced to stop smoking with make the number of people getting cancer from smoking decrease. This is why I think we should raise taxes on smoking.
LogicalPen

Con

Thank you for accepting. I believe that it is their decision to smoke, so if they want to waste their money on something as useless and petty as that, they can. I agree with you in the sense that yes, the prices for cigarettes are increasing, therefore making people think twice about buying them, but people with addictions could care less about the price. They can steal, they can sell their belongings, it doesn't matter to them. Also, as said before, the black market is a problem. The black market, by definition, is "an illegal traffic or trade in officially controlled or scarce commodities"- Google search. What that means is that by raising taxes, addicts are relying on seller's outside of America. For example, say an addict is tired of paying our amount for cigarettes. They trade with Mexico, who is a lot cheaper. Why is that a problem? Well, it's the government's money originally, correct? So instead of letting the money recycle back into the economy, they are giving it to Mexico. That might not seem that bad, but it's more than one person.
Seth_MIller

Pro

If people are having to sell their belongings to support their addictions, they will realize they should quit. When they realize they are losing everything they will try to find a way to stop. And it makes NO sense for someone to buy cigarettes on the black market. It would cost way more to buy cigarettes on the black market, unless this person lives close to mexico it would be impossible to get cigarettes that cost cheaper than buying them from a place in America. First if you didn't live near Mexico, the cigarettes would have to go from dealer to dealer, and make there way into the United States which would raise the price a lot. And you cannot ship cigarette in the United States. Also if you were buying cigarettes on the black market the person you are buying them from would most likely not have a license to sell cigarettes, and if you got caught buying them you could get into trouble. Also buy raising the taxes people who would keep smoking, would be paying that higher tax which would be giving the government more money. If the government is getting more tax money from cigarettes purchases, they could lower tax on other things more essential to live and things more people buy that don't do harm to their bodies. So what I am saying is people who smoke still have brains and will realize their addiction is costing way to much and will try to find ways to stop. And your argument about the black market make No sense, and would not help it would just make the cigarettes more expensive.
LogicalPen

Con

How does my argument not make sense? If it is more expensive to buy cigarettes on the black market, why does it exist? Dana Meager, State Secretary of the Ministry of Finance Government of the Slovak Republic, believes that illicit trade is driven by demand.
"Consumers want to buy cheap products and save money and criminals want to take advantage of high taxes which they do not pay to make high profits with low risk of being caught and penalised." This is saying that, yes, the taxes here for cigarettes are cheaper than the prices in a different country. Also, the users have use E-cigs. It's better for the environment, since it's only steam, and they are cheaper than normal cigarettes, so why doesn't everybody convert? It's because the black market is still cheaper.
"If the government is getting more tax money from cigarettes purchases, they could lower tax on other things more essential to live and things more people buy that don't do harm to their bodies. So what I am saying is people who smoke still have brains and will realize their addiction is costing way too much and will try to find ways to stop." For the past eight years, cigarette taxes have been increasing. I'm pretty sure that something would have shown up by now. A new government study finds almost 70 percent of American smokers want to quit, and more than half tried last year, but only 6 percent succeeded. Also, you said that people who are smoking "still have brains". If anybody who smokes is smart enough to realize that smoking is bad, they wouldn't have started in the first place.
Seth_MIller

Pro

People will realize their things are disappearing and they will find a way to stop. And buying cigarettes on the black market is more expensive and you take a risk of being caught. The tax being raised will result in more money for the government to spend on certain things and help with the debt the United States is in. And people who smoke do still have brains, some started because it used to be cool to smoke and they didn't know all the risk back then. Lots of smart people smoke. I know teachers that smoke cigarettes and they are smart enough to teach students. People who smoke do have brains. I think I won this debate for the following reasons. First the only thing you defended was the use of the black market, you need more than just one argument to win. The black market is the only argument you made and the only argument you defended. I had many arguments that you did not come after. I had more reasons why raising the tax on smoking is a good thing and not bad. Also they one argument you had did not make one hundred percent sense to me. . You did not counter anything I said except what I said about the black market. These are the reason I think you should vote for me, and vote pro.
Posted by LogicalPen 1 year ago
LogicalPen
Seth, you completely ignored the first paragraph of round 3.
Posted by Beardon87 1 year ago
Beardon87
What about how higher taxes would make it a major source of revenue for the government, thus making the government want to make sure the tobacco companies cannot fall on their own?
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
LogicalPenSeth_MIllerTied