jazzi
Debateking121

Should teachers be armed?

jazzi

jazzi

Con

There's teachers out there who victimize children. A lot probably goes unnoticed. Imagine if those same teachers possessed a gun at school? There's should be more school resource officers present. They are trained to use guns and it's their job to protect citizens. What if a student got a hold of the gun? Then there would be a lot of trouble. If every teacher brought a gun to school, I think there be corruption. Leave it the police to have guns on school campus, not teachers.
Debateking121

Pro

In my opinion teachers should be able to carry weapons in the school. This would help protect the students and faculty in the building. Having this would've helped saved many lives in the past and would help save lives in the future. If teachers were armed it would not only save lives, but decrease the willingness of a shooter to pick on a school to shoot. Without having teachers armed, the students and faculty are basically sitting ducks, because the police don't get there until its over. Imagine if the teachers at Sandy Hook were armed, I can almost guarantee you no one would have died. No student would get a hold of the gun anyway, in fact they don't even have to know its there, its not hurting them.
jazzi

Con

There are truly many reasons that teachers should not be armed. One reason is that this causes the teacher to be a target. In shooting situations, the shooter would target the teacher first to eliminate the greatest threat. Not only would this put the teacher's life in greater danger, the other adults could be targeted because the killer assumes they all have guns.

Having guns is just a bad idea for teachers, in a matter of fact for anyone around children. You don't know what kind of situation you're going to get into. I believe if you have a gun that you are just looking for a fight. More guns=more violence.
Debateking121

Pro

Causes teachers to be the target? They would be the target regardless if they had a gun or not. That makes no sense whatsoever. How is it a bad idea for teachers? How is it bad around children? What do you mean I don't know what kind of situation I'm going to get into? You are not looking for a fight, only to protect yourself. How come the presidents and many famous celebs have people caring guns in there schools but wont allow it in other schools? The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun. Plain and simple its not a hard concept to grasp.
jazzi

Con

Arming teachers with guns is crazy. I'm in 6th grade and I wouldn't be able to do anything knowing my teacher has a gun. What if a teacher flips out and pulls the gun out? What if a student flips out and steals the gun? What if a young student finds the gun and thinks it's a toy. I have a niece and nephew in preschool and if they would see a gun they might think it's a toy gun ,cause they have some pretty realistic looking guns, and they accidentally shoot the gun!I would probably cry my eyes out in fear. School is suppose to be a safe place. There should be less fear and violence not more. I cant even imagine this. I want to be a middle school teacher and I cant and will never see myself holding a gun. I could go on for much, much longer on this. People need to think about the 6 years in first grade to the 12th graders that are about to graduate. Even if they are trying to save me I don't think I would be able to trust that teacher again if they pulled out something that was meant to kill.
Debateking121

Pro

Teachers in a school in Arkansas have been armed with weapons and so far there have been no problems there. There would be no problem if the gun the teachers carried were concealed or locked up but in close reach. Teachers would be carrying a gun to protect their students as well as themselves. The argument in which one makes about a teacher "flipping out" is absurd. The teacher would be held responsible just as any other person carrying a gun would be. Gun violence occurs at schools because thugs and lunatics know that there is no one there to protect the students. I can guarantee they would look elsewhere if it were known that teachers were armed. The only way to protect ones self is to be able to defend ones self . Police will arrive after the fact to solve the crime so good luck during the mass shooting when you have nothing to protect yourself.
jazzi

Con

Trained policemen, when intentionally firing at someone when they are usually prepared for the situation, have about 30% accuracy. These are people that train at least two times a month and usually much more than that. At ranges of zero to six feed accuracy is closer to 50%. How accurate would a teacher or resource officer be who isn't nearly as trained with a firearm or who doesn't keep in practice nearly as much. If the teacher cannot aim and shoots a student that would be their death on their hands.

Using violence to solve violence is not something we should be encouraging, especially not in a school setting. If the gun is really only for "self-defense," then why carry the gun at all? If it's only there to scare people off then a fake one would do just as well, or better security systems, or perhaps just making sure the 'bad guys' don't have guns in the first place. Really there has to be a better solution.
Debateking121

Pro

A teacher could be very accurate, you don't know how much they train or go to the shooting range. Obviously you have no common sense to tell that you cant rely on police to save you, because they get there after the fact. Look at all the shootings that have happened lately if there were armed teachers in the buildings there would have been no deaths. The police men have gotten there after the fact 10 minutes later after 20 kids have been killed. If there were armed teachers no one would want to target a school. But if they did they would be met with 3 or 4 teachers with glocks, and get shot down almost immediately after they enter the building. Bad guys will always get guns or have guns no matter how many laws there are. Maybe ill debate you when you have lived some more, your in the 6 grade and obviously have no common sense.
jazzi

Con

jazzi forfeited this round.
Debateking121

Pro

Unfortunately my opponent forfeited in the last round.
Posted by tentakejack 3 years ago
tentakejack
If a classroom is breached, the gunman will take out the teacher first. No time to grab a gun. In Texas for instance, the teachers must keep the gun in a Lock Box with a keyed lock. No time to waist so
teachers can and should Barricade the classroom door if there is a Lockdown Event in progress.
Why let an intruder into the classroom to begin with. They need a door barricade device like Nightlock Lockdown attached to the classroom door. Piling desks and classroom furniture in front of the door is slow and uneffective, and doesn't work on outward swing doors. But this device will and is now active in many school districts across the country. A simple device keeps bad guys out, and gives a teacher more time to prepare and hide students.
Vote Placed by DeFool 4 years ago
DeFool
jazziDebateking121Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct points offset, since the personal insults ("Obviously you have no common sense") neutralize the forfeiture. Arguments saw compelling reasons why teachers might create dangers or slow police response that were never rebutted. Moreover, hyperbolic statements by PRO marred the affirmative argument: (" I can almost guarantee you no one would have died. No student would..." "There would be no problem if..." " The only way to protect ones self..." " if there were armed teachers in the buildings there would have been no deaths...") These statements are exaggerated, polemic, over-broad and incautious. Statements such as "all, always, never, 99.999% of the time, 9 times out of 10," etc. often cannot be taken seriously. This hyperbole represents false absolutism and general extremes, and cannot be useful gambits in argument. Arguments, CON.