kelcyp18
Wishing4Winter

Should teenagers be allowed to have a say in their lunch options at school?

Wishing4Winter

kelcyp18

Pro

I believe that teenagers should have a say in some of the things that they eat in school. I'm not saying that they should be able to yell ice cream and chocolate but, you know whole grain bread vs white bread things like that.
Wishing4Winter

Con

I accept. I will be con and will negate whatever contentions you lay out in round two.
kelcyp18

Pro

kelcyp18 forfeited this round.
Wishing4Winter

Con

Overview:
It will be the Con’s position that teenagers should not be allowed to have a say in their lunch options at school while it seems to be the affirmative’s advocacy that teenagers should be able to have a say in healthy options for lunch at school which is a fair extrapolation as shown by the affirmative’s defining out of unhealthy options such as ice-cream, chocolate, etc.

My Opponent's Case:

“I believe that teenagers should have a say in some of the things that they eat in school…you know whole grain bread vs white bread things like that.

This option of healthy choices for students at school already exists without teenage intervention as of November 21st, 2012. The USDA explains,

Through the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act championed by the First Lady and signed by President Obama, USDA is making the first major changes in school meals in 15 years, which will help us raise a healthier generation of children.

The new standards align school meals with the latest nutrition science and the real world circumstances of America’s schools. These responsible reforms do what’s right for children’s health in a way that’s achievable in schools across the Nation. (3)

Therefore my opponent’s argument that students should be able to choose other (healthy) options at school is non-unique as this already exists in the negative world where adults in positions of power make choices.

My Case:

Contention 1: Teenagers’ brains are not developed enough to be trusted to make choices

During the phase of teenage hood a teenagers brain is developing however they (we) lack the ability to fully make decisions in regard to planning, reasoning, judgment, and impulse control until our early twenties. Amanda Schaffer explains,

During this time, gray matter—areas of the brain responsible for processing information and storing memories—increases in size, particularly in the frontal lobe of the brain, as a result of an increase in the number of synaptic connections between nerve cells. Around puberty, however, a winnowing process begins in which connections that are not used or reinforced begin to wither (hence the "use-it-or-lose-it" hypothesis). This pruning, which begins around age 11 in girls and 12 in boys, continues into the early or mid-20s, particularly in the prefrontal cortex, an area associated with "higher" functions such as planning, reasoning, judgment, and impulse control. (2)

Therefore during this time decisions such as that of what food is provided by the school should be left to those with brains developed enough to make full judgment calls in regard to reasoning, judgment, and impulse control.

Contention 2: The current system provides health lunch options for school aged children

As recently as November 21 healthy lunch options have been expanded for the entire nation. Changes such as:

• Ensuring students are offered both fruits and vegetables every day of the week;
      • Substantially increasing offerings of whole grain-rich foods;
      • Offering only fat-free or low-fat milk varieties;
      • Limiting calories based on the age of children being served to ensure proper portion size; and
      • Increasing the focus on reducing the amounts of saturated fat, trans fats and sodium. (1)

Therefore these changes which establish healthy food options for school age children show that the current system is actively seeking to improve and expand on current healthy lunch options.

Citations:

1. 1. http://www.fns.usda.gov...
  2. 2. http://www.slate.com...
  3. 3. http://www.fns.usda.gov...

Vote Con for the aformentioned reasons coupled with the fact that my opponent forfeited

kelcyp18

Pro

kelcyp18 forfeited this round.
Wishing4Winter

Con

Extend my case as my opponent has forfeited and I strongly urge a negative ballot.
Posted by i-always-win 4 years ago
i-always-win
they shouldnt!
Posted by Wishing4Winter 4 years ago
Wishing4Winter
I'll accept if you clarify something for me. Is the first round acceptance, then second round you lay out your point, I lay out my point and refute your points, then third round is just voters with no new arguments?
Vote Placed by Ike-Jin-Park 4 years ago
Ike-Jin-Park
kelcyp18Wishing4WinterTied
Reasons for voting decision: The debate ended with forfeit.
Vote Placed by tennis47 4 years ago
tennis47
kelcyp18Wishing4WinterTied
Reasons for voting decision: kelcyp18 basically forfeited the debate.
Vote Placed by UltimateSkeptic 4 years ago
UltimateSkeptic
kelcyp18Wishing4WinterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff