Tatiana_14
Ra1n

Should teenagers be treated like adults?

Tatiana_14

Pro

Should teenagers be treated like adults in your opinion? By being treated like adults I mean making their own decisions, using their own judgment, not being told to do things like chores or any other responsibilities they have?
In my personal opinion teenagers should be treated like adults because in a few years they will be adults. They should learn responsibility before they become adults. They should be entitled to their own opinions and views. I feel like adults treating teens like children takes away from their growth and denies them the right to be mature and independent. Teenagers are in between birth and full growth, which means that they are developing adult minds. I am 14 and this is just my personal opinion.
Ra1n

Con

Definition of a teenager: People who are between 13-19 years old. [1]

My argument

Teenage brains are not fully developed. In particular, the judgement part which is found in the frontal lobes of the brain[2]. Teenagers should therefore not be given the same amount of responsibilities as adults, as they are more likely to make incorrect decisions they may regret later in life. This idea is clearly reflected in driving laws and minimum drinking ages in order to prevent reckless decisions at their impressionable ages. Such ideals are also embodied in the family unit, where parents are legally required to take responsibility over their children until they meet the age where they become an independent adult in their respective country. If your parents let you do whatever you wanted and you broke a law or something, they would be held responsible, so they will obviously need to excercise greater caution and treat you like a teenager.

Rebuttals

"By being treated like adults I mean making their own decisions, using their own judgment"

Teenagers can also make their own decisions and use their own judgements in numerous ways. There are simply reasonable restrictions being placed on them by their parents to ensure their safety.

"not being told to do things like chores or any other responsibilities they have?"

Chores and other household responsibilities are necessary for a family to function. If no one did any chores, your house would break down in disrepair. People of all ages are required to help out, especially adults. The fact that you prefer not to do chores highlights your inability to make good decisions and supports my argument that adults need to continue viewing teenagers as teenagers.

"They should learn responsibility before they become adults."

Exactly, and this responsibility is taught to them by their parents.

"They should be entitled to their own opinions and views."

They are.

"I feel like adults treating teens like children takes away from their growth and denies them the right to be mature and independent."

You supply absolutely no evidence for such a point. Adults viewing teenagers for what they are - teenagers - does not take away from their growth. Rather, it allows them to assist in their growth to adulthood by understanding their malleable nature.

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[2] http://www.npr.org...
Tatiana_14

Pro

Tatiana_14 forfeited this round.
Ra1n

Con

Ra1n forfeited this round.
Tatiana_14

Pro

Tatiana_14 forfeited this round.
Ra1n

Con

Ra1n forfeited this round.
Posted by Idiosyncratic 2 years ago
Idiosyncratic
As a teenager: adults have to do chores as well. If you have a responsibility like chores, they are good. They teach dependence, personal action, and yes, responsibility. Becoming an adult is filled with responsibilities. More than likely, by giving you chores and such, your parents are trying to train you with small things first, so when you are on your own and do have responsibilities, its not totally new. By giving you jobs or chores and by giving you limits and stipulations, they are giving you small doses of adulthood. Trust me, freedom has its limits when you become "adult", and you will find many of the things your parents are trying to teach you are simply them not wanting you to make the same mistakes / have the same issues they did. Just personal experience.
Posted by Zack95 2 years ago
Zack95
(liked)
Posted by Ra1n 2 years ago
Ra1n
@Zack95 It was fine when I first typed up the argument, but then something messed up and I had to copy paste everything and submit it again, but by then the layout was all messed up and I couldn't be bothered changing it or typing everything up again. It's still perfectly readable though! :)
Posted by Zack95 2 years ago
Zack95
@ra1n: Your formatting is off the charts. Literally.
Posted by Esiar 2 years ago
Esiar
Using their own judgment: Partly.
Not being told to do things like chores or any other responsibilities they have: No.
They should learn responsibility before they become adults: Yes.
They should be entitled to their own opinions and views: Yes.
Adults treating teens like children takes away from their growth and denies them the right to be mature and independent: Yes.