swimboy309
DerKurbis

Should teenagers use profanity in everyday language?

swimboy309

Con

If you meet an average teenager these days, they are bound to swear. Give it about 5 sentences max, and then they will say some swear word in there. Now I myself am a young teenager, and I know that in school if you don't swear you are not considered "cool." I don't swear, so I know how it feels. Now it's not like I get bullied or anything, but people still look down on me for not swearing. What I am wondering is why? Why is swearing so good? See, if you want to answer the question, "Is profanity bad for teenagers," you first have to understand why they swear. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question. Teenagers swear because that's what they see all over the internet. When you hear phrases in school like "What are those" and "**** Daniel, back at it again with those white vans," you hear them because it is considered "cool" to say them. Those are considered "cool" because they became popular on the internet. Popular things that you can find on the internet have swears. Go on something a teenager would like in facebook, twitter, snapchat, or instagram and all they have is swears. So people that teenagers look up to on the internet all swear. This is what makes popular kids in school swear. Because that is what kids look up to in our little "society," it is considered popular and good to swear. So this is why kids swear. But should kids swear in everyday language? No, they shouldn't. What can they gain from swearing? A potty mouth when they grow up? So when we got to a job application, were going to have to worry about a swear accidentally spitting out? Also, swearing makes it harder to write in formal language. If you swear every minute, it will be hard to revert back to formal language, and it will make talking normally a chore because you have to think more. Now don't go saying that swearing once and a while is ok, though. Because it is! One time I let loose an f-bomb to release my anger and it worked better than beating a wall would've! So I conclude that teenagers should not use swearing in everyday language, it is only ok for them to use it once and a while.
DerKurbis

Pro

I am just clarifying your stance: it is fine for teenagers to swear if they do it occasionally and for good reason. I am happy to accept your challenge. Teenagers should be allowed to swear. It is better if they have reason to, but there are far worse things that they can be doing. This does not really hurt anyone. I am not familiar with "What are those" and "**** Daniel, back at it again with those white vans", and while they probably have some sort of sexual or criminal reference, the average teen would probably not be committing crimes or having sex. I appreciate that you tell why teens swear. I think that teenagers should have the right to choose what language they use. I am a teenager myself, and I have a few friends that are "cuss-aholics." I do not swear regularly, and if I do, I have a good reason. Where I go to school, swearing is not considered cool and it is frowned upon. My mom is an attorney, so if I hear her talking to another lawyer at the same firm, I often hear swearing. You stated that they are less likely to get a job. They are lawyers. Please explain that. Starting to swear while young could also lead to a good career in stand-up comedy. I haven't heard Jerry Seinfeld not swear in any of his routines. I also go back to my "cuss-aholic" friends. Many of them are "straight-A" students, and several of them are best in English. Please explain how it becomes a chore to revert back to "formal English". I do not think that the type of English that Americans speak even is formal. It is shocking how many grammar rules we break in everyday language. For example, if I ask, "Who is this for?" it is incorrect. I should ask, "For whom is this?"
swimboy309

Con

Thanks for accepting the challenge. Alright, let's start new with round 2. So I'm going to say that your main counterclaim is that if kids start swearing now, they can still get a job and might even get a better job. Ok. I'll start with one of your sentences, "Please explain how it becomes a chore to revert back to "formal English." I guess what I mean here is not "formal English," but English without swears. If you swear as a kid, you will think that it is ok to swear as an adult. Now swearing as an adult isn't horrible but if you instill the belief that you can swear as a kid on occasions where you think it's ok, you will want to swear more. This is because you will start thinking there are more times where it is ok to swear. When this happens, you do what your mom did, which is swear right back at that lawyer. Now as you stated, your mom is a lawyer, and lawyers are pretty darn smart. But even super-smart lawyers can make the mistake of what I said above, which is to think there are many occasions where it is ok to swear. This is when something like accidentally releasing an f-bomb when a 3 year old is in the room happens. Also, just because Jerry Seinfeld swears and is in a stand up comedy doesn't mean every kid that swears can make it into a stand up comedy for swearing. One last thing: In your school swearing is frowned upon, and it my school if you don't swear you're not cool. I think this might be some kind of crucial factor in our disagreement.
DerKurbis

Pro

DerKurbis forfeited this round.
swimboy309

Con

Ok, so since you did not counterclaim that argument, there are two things that you could have forfeited the round. The first one is that you couldn't think of a counterclaim against me, which for some reason I really doubt. The other reason is that you thought the argument was too stupid to counterclaim. Which one was it? And since you didn't counterclaim, I will not give an argument for round 3.
DerKurbis

Pro

DerKurbis forfeited this round.
Posted by jglass841 1 year ago
jglass841
It is still easy to write formally, despite if you swear or not. I swear all of the time, and still write formally in debates.
Posted by TheDom275 1 year ago
TheDom275
Pretty sure the internet has next to nothing to do with us swearing. Hell, most of us just do it for stress relief.
Posted by Jean-Paul_Blartre 1 year ago
Jean-Paul_Blartre
In this debate, a young person not understanding that teenagers have been swearing behind the backs of adults since before the US was founded.