xTHExRADxREXx
Argentino

Should teens be able to purchase violent video games?

Started: 6/10/2016 Category: Games

xTHExRADxREXx

Pro

Do you really think teens are gonna go out on the streets and start hacking at dragons with battleaxes or whack zombies to death with electric guitars or put on futuristic military armor and battle each other with swords made of energy and shoot each other with plasma rifles? I don't.

teenagers are going to find a way to get one anyways. So you not get sell it to them?
Argentino

Con

Well, if nonexistent dragons and zombies were killed by teenagers using nonexistent equipment and weapons I would be very much more than impressed.

ESRB and PEGI ratings exist for a reason. There is never a case in which a child should be able to choose by themselves whether pornography, violence, and drugs should be a standard visual and auditory occurrence in their lives, and if a parent believes their child is ready for those things, then it is their call. Teenagers have not yet fully developed their brains to have good decision-making skills since it ends growth in their early twenties(1), and not having a developed brain is why many governments don't consider citizens independent until age 21 or older (or 18 in the case of video games and movies).

From a social standpoint, more and more parents are already neglecting their children from young with smartphones and tablets, which are already creating social and economic stunts(2) and allowing teenagers to purchase games without parental permission augments another barrier to conversation at a familiar level. At GameStop, the cashiers are required to say the graphic contents of the media being purchased, so that the parent or guardian can make a final decision on whether they want to buy the game or not for their underage child. Parents having no knowledge of these warnings and making children feeling as if they have a choice over themselves for adult themes just breeds a false sense of independence which can lead to a lot of things.

Teenagers are going to find a way to get marijuana and alcohol anyways, so why not just sell it to them?

Source(s):
(1) Decision-making is Still a Work in Progress for Teenagers: http://brainconnection.brainhq.com...
(2)Mobile and interactive media use by young children: The good, the bad and the unknown: http://www.eurekalert.org...
xTHExRADxREXx

Pro

xTHExRADxREXx forfeited this round.
Argentino

Con

The opponent has forfeited, and I have no rebuttal to a forfeit.
xTHExRADxREXx

Pro

xTHExRADxREXx forfeited this round.
Argentino

Con

Argentino forfeited this round.
Posted by Argentino 8 months ago
Argentino
My first debate and I already see I used irrelevant sources off a random tangent.
Posted by TheWorldIsComplicated 8 months ago
TheWorldIsComplicated
My previous comment made sense to me, maybe I put it awkwardly. Do you really want a 8 year old playing a game like Grand Theft Auto? A child does not need to be influenced by such a violent game. Yes, children can be influenced by them just like a child can be influenced by a parents political view.

Here is an explanation of the ratings: http://movies.about.com...

A child does not need to see things like nudity, certainly not swear words. I wouldn't want my young child learning and repeating swear words from a video game. They are there to tell us what the game is like.
Posted by Hanist 8 months ago
Hanist
@TheWorldIsComplicated

You make no sense.

If there are reasons for damn age restrictions, then list them. Don't remind me about the age restrictions that I know already. What reasons do you have. They probably aren't worth sh*t.
TheWorldIsComplicated
There are age restrictions for a reason. A teenager can not buy a game that is rated 18+ (Except if they are 18) unless they are with a parent.