bug.lesly
SupaDudz

Should teens have social media

bug.lesly has forfeited round #3.
Started: 11/29/2017 Category: Technology
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

bug.lesly

Pro

I believe that teens should have social media because it helps them to connect with friends , family and peers. But teens should be limited on how much social media in one day because back when I was in school 4 years ago teens spent most of their lunch break on social media bullying others if their siblings ruined their photo or if their voice sounded funny through the voice recorder on the phone or Ipad.
SupaDudz

Con

'I believe that teens should have social media because it helps them to connect with friends , family and peers. But teens should be limited on how much social media in one day because back when I was in school 4 years ago teens spent most of their lunch break on social media bullying others if their siblings ruined their photo or if their voice sounded funny through the voice recorder on the phone or Ipad."

Kids should not have social media because restrictions don't prevent bullying, can connect without the media, and social media contains inappropriate content.

1)Restrictions don't prevent bullying
On Instagram let's say for example; implied a restriction for children under 18. Children can easily lie about their age, name, etc. Simple as cake. If kids were to be auto put on an instagram kids, it could not properly filter bad info out because humans could be humans are not care about these kids, just for general audience.

2)Connect with people without social media
Phone numbers, schools, extracurricular activities, and hanging out can easily connect people. You do not need your phone to communicate with people as people have done it through most of our history

3) Social contains inappropriate info
Little children should not be exposed to racism, nudity, pornography, vulgarity, etc. It leads to bad life choices in the future with being associated with the KKK, American Nazis, etc because of the social media ideas that influence them
bug.lesly

Pro

Also Obama"s 2008 campaign succeed because of social media. Social media can increase student participation in the classroom and outside of the classroom. If you were to let student get on social media they could make sure that their family are ok, but it also serves as something to do during lunch or when we have finished class. So that we could have something to do to quit bugging them during class. So that our teachers can grade papers or do whatever they need to do. You can also us social media to save money, and did you know Pete Chapman says, "Social media is one of the main reasons that old friends reconnect." Rob Jelly also says, "I use social media to engage people on my radio show."

Did you know that social media lets students who are disabled communicate with others? According to Swhelper.com "People with disabilities of all ages are seen using Twitter, Facebook, blogging platforms, businesses websites, and Kickstarter campaigns to share their life experiences. Additionally, it is providing a platform for people with disabilities to voice the changes they want to see in expanding inclusion, education, employment, and advocacy opportunities. The advancements in technology, for example iPads and other tablets, have broken down barriers to allow people of various limitation levels to display their presence on social media and in society. The invention of these devices has opened doors when it comes to communication, therapeutic progress, and educational enhancement for students and adults with disabilities. Social media also allows people with disabilities a platform to educate the public about what it means to be disabled while allowing people with disabilities to become self-advocates without having to leave their own homes. Advocacy and self-advocacy are key components for people with disabilities in order to promote empowerment within the population. Additionally, it allows for discussion and advocacy for the implementation of effective and efficient programs and policies in order to improve the well-being, social, educational, and economic needs of the group."

Just because people say that teens not having social media means that they will not get bullied is not true. Teens will get bullied no matter what, the percentage of teens that commit suicide because of bullying, or cyberbullying the percentage of teens that commit suicide every year is almost 25% of teens. 14% of high schoolers have considered suicide and almost 7% of teens have actually attempted it.
SupaDudz

Con

My rebuttals

I have been experience of cyberbullying because someone posted a bad picture of me, so it doesn't distract them, in fact it gives them a drive to do it because they are anonymous and the school will not be able to catch them. It might distract them in real life, but it doesn't distract them from cyber bullying that can lead to real life bullying, Your other claims are also not relevant to the point I made in the rebuttals.

Your claim only solves for minor mental diseases, not for major autisms or ADHD's. The mentai severity of autism is so big that they will not be able to talk. No point in saying that they help special needs communicate when it doesn't solve for all special needs. My source is my sister and my cousin. They are unable to communicate verbally and are severe autistic. Your claim doesn't apply to all special needs, therefore, judge disregard the false R2 arg made here.

Please read my claim for this argument. Cyber bullying can lead to real life bullying. 52% of teens reported being cyber bullied and that leads to suicide as well. Tech can lead to suicide

In conclusion your arguments apply to technology as well, judges vote CON
Posted by FanboyMctroll 1 month ago
FanboyMctroll
So what happened to face to face communication? Are you telling me the hipsters now are all socially inverted nerds that can't communicate unless it's through a text and a sh!t emoji
Posted by LogicalPen 1 month ago
LogicalPen
@FanboyMctroll

"Most teens don't even know how to talk to someone of the opposite sex because all they know is how to text instead of communicating like a normal human being". That is a total fallacy. If anything social media has only increased the communication between opposite sexes. It's increased the communication of people in general.
Posted by FanboyMctroll 1 month ago
FanboyMctroll
No

Teens should socialize face to face like they have for the last 5000 years instead of being the social awkward nerds and texting all the time. Most teens don't even know how to talk to someone of the opposite sex because all they know is how to text instead of communicating like a normal human being.