Bigs2016
Arfmeow

Should teens have the ability to leave home at there own will? (14-17)

Bigs2016

Pro

I come here to ask one simple question, and that Is, should teens ages 14-17 have the opertunity to leave home? Now when I say "opertunity", I mean they would have the chance to go in front of a authority figure and be given the chance to show he/she is capible of being independent and should be allowed to have the dissition to move out. Now the reason I bring this argument is because a close friend of mine is disowned by his parents and breaks down in tears regularly. What I think should be allowed is for him to move in with a friend. As of now that is agaisnt the law, the only way to get out of that situation now is for CPS to get involve and then the teen has no say of where he/she goes. I'm looking for a opponent that disagrees about my idea of giving teens a chance to be independent and for that said person to present a reasonable example situations
Arfmeow

Con

Parents are often concerned of the safety of their child, after all they raised it. Teens should tell their parents where they're going in case they get lost or something bad happens to them. If you were a patent I'm sure you wouldn't want your son or daughter running the streets getting involved in illegal things. I'm not arguing that teens shouldn't be allowed to go anywhere, I'm starting that parents have concern for the safety of their offspring and should be able to have the ability to prevent potential bad things. Many parents are over strict of their child denying them the fun of childhood. Many parents have been to loose and apathetic with their child allowing them to run the streets on the road to degeneracy. This is my first post.
Bigs2016

Pro

I do see your your point. Yes, there is no reason for the teens that have good parents to leave home but what about those teens who don't have that luck and are forced to be in a household where they are exposed to cruelty each day of there life but don't want to report it because then they would be dragged away from the little things they have such as friends and mentors. I believe that we should give them a chance, they could get a job and rent a apartment and get a check from the government such as those that foster parents get but it goes to the child instead or they could be given the option to move in with a close friend or possibly a romantic partner. This is all going by the assumption that this is a reaposible and monitored kid
Arfmeow

Con

However the majority are not abused like you say. Those ones can get away from their parents, it's not really their choice of if they go out, they should be held accountable to their parents. Your post was about ALL teens and you argue that they should be able to leave without their parents permission. You argue by only talking about abused kids. Since you only want to talk about some children I'll do the same. How about all those kids who sneak out of their family's house to go meet boys, do drugs, get involved in illegal things, and other acts of degeneracy. When I was young my parents were apathetic and open to my sister's and I. They would always sneak out the window and return home at 3:00 am at night. Since then they both dropped out of high school, one got pregnant at 15 and now as two babies she struggles to raise as she's verbally abused by her psychotic boyfriend on a daily basis and the other got in a fatal car crash when they're were out drinking and smoking weed.
Bigs2016

Pro

My argument is not just for abused kids, I was just using them as a example, but like I stated before, we should give the kids a opportunity, not a for sure leave whenever you like. I'll restate this, we should give these kids a chance to step up in front of a authority figure and let them state their plan and how the plan to accomplish it. Now, since we are going to bring up childhoods let me do the same. I was poisoned when I was 2 years old by my own mother so she could get attention for a dieing son and I was put into a group home were I was abused daily by the staff. I eventually just shut them out and basically lived in my room away from contact of all humans. But as for today I run a origination that helps kids with emotional issues. From my experience I believe there should be a way for kids to be given the chance to live with friends or away from there parents while keeping the dissuasion of where they go in the teens hands, with exceptions of course.
Arfmeow

Con

I understand that things have been difficult for you and your friend. You must realize that this is not most parents or adults, mostly it's teens who want to go out and put their life in jeopardy. Your mother poisoned you that means she doesn't care if you lived or died, the same mindset can apply to parents who don't want the responsibility of caring for safety of the children. I could say "I'm going to go out to Wal-Mart today dad." He could say "I don't think you should go you've been puking all day and it's raining hard out there." You shouldn't deny parents their role of being parents, your bad experiences doesn't apply to everyone. Some parents care for their child or teenager and wants to be assured they won't make bad choices or do bad things that put their safety at risk. Upon earning their parents trust they'll be able to go out when they want but they should notify their parents. I think it should be up to the parents, if the child is proper then they'll have no reason to forbid them from going out. A lot of children get molested, raped, or even worse when they don't listen to their parents. After all mother knows best.
Bigs2016

Pro

I perfectly understand that, as my later years I was taken in by other family members, but just cause some people have good lives doesn't mean we should deny all kids to a better one. If you had good parents like that why would you want to leave home? Further more the opportunity would problem be denied without extremely good reason. What I suggesting would act as a parole board. Your case would be reviewed by authority figures and would be decided of you should be allowed the opportunity to leave home. Just because a lot of kids have these perfect lives doesn't mean all do, if this would be a thing think about how many lives it could improve. We would be giving these kids a future rather than tearing them away from what little they have. If you were abused and forgotten but the one thing that kept you going was your puppy, would you rather move in with a willing friend that would allow you to take the puppy or be dragged away from your friends, your family, and your future just to go into a even more abusive group home? The fact is that the system we have places these abused kids with total strangers when we could be placing them with close friends.
Arfmeow

Con

It will still be in the hands of parent where their child goes or doesn't. I've may of mistakenly interpreted this, are you talking about the CPS? Because if not there's only one logical choice and that choice lies in the hands of the parents. The CPS is already able to send them to close friends if given permission by those friends. They can be taken by family members.You're arguing that parents shouldn't have authority over their child, they already do and it's a good thing. You're only seeing this from one perspective, look at it from the eyes of the parents absolutely powerless. They couldn't tell their own child no even if it meant certain danger. That's why I support the only logical side.
Bigs2016

Pro

Once again, I totally get where your coming from. The problem however is that staying at a friends is only temporary as the investigation is conducted and once the investigation is completed they will either be shipped out to a foster home or returned to their parents or parent. This is going by the assumption that the state actually has good child protection laws, which I'm most states, that doesn't exist. And of the parent didn't take care of their kid and then suddenly starts being reaposible and telling them they can't leave just to keep control. Why should parents like that have that kind of control? And if your a kid lucky enough to have a family, why in the world would you want to leave? So, I believe that the proper action would be to have a parole board available to kids to where they can go and their case would be individually investigated and decided if they have proper reason to leave. The main goal in this idea is just to give some control of a kids life back to the kid. The thing you aren't realizing is just because your a kid doesn't mean you shouldn't have say in your life. Current laws require you to have a foster license to take in a kid, this prevents a ordinary person such as a friend to take you in. So, would you rather be torn from the little you have if you were abused or be placed in a friends home permanently.
Arfmeow

Con

This isn't about bad abusive degenerate parents, if it is then fix the title next time. This is about whether or not parents should lose their authority and role as parents. This is much more bad kids out there as they're ignorant, they have no respect for others or themselves. Parents should ultimately be in control of their child, after all they raised it, fed it, took care of it. No parent should have to watch their own child die, no parent should be left to be worried of whether the child would return or not. Parents they care if their children, they really do. With all the sickos out there such as pedophiles and homosexuals, they have reason to be worried for their child's safety. There's so much gang violence and crime out there now days. It's not as safe as it use to be. That's why parents should and will be parents in matters relating to their child, after all its ultimately their decision. Thanks.