inuyasha_freak
Xera

Should teens that commit crimes have their parents charged too?

inuyasha_freak

Pro

It is the parent responsibility to control their children. The parent should have taught their teen NOT to commit the crime.
Xera

Con

First of all thank you for inviting me to this debate. I am happy to participate in this. Great topic choice in that it is relevant and it not over done. Rolling up my sleeves now and getting down to business:

One ground rules here for fairness sake:

1. The parent was not involved in the commission, planning, or evasion from the crime. In other words, the parent did not drive the get away car, help plan the crime out, cover up the crime, or encourage in anyway the teen to commit the crime.

Ladies and Gentlemen, my opponent has a very concise opening statement. Mainly: parents should teach their children not to break the law. This would be a very short debate in fact if that were what we were discussing. I agree. That is the job of the parent.

The resolution however is that parents should be charged for the crimes committed by their teenage children. There are three huge problems with this idea:

1. Personal responsibility must be assumed at some point.

Teens have enough world experience that they should know that laws exist and that breaking laws has a consequence. If an elementary child chews gum in school, s/he is disciplined. If the same young child wears Heelys to the library, s/he is expelled. Parents are not the only figures that enforce limitations upon the child. By the time a person becomes a teen, s/he has been exposed to rules and consequences in a variety of situations. Sometimes teens just make bad choices in spite of knowing better. Not the parents fault if that is the case. Therefore, by the time a child is 13 years old, s/he has some ability to determine the difference between right and wrong, independent of the parent's actions or lack there of.

2. Parents aren't puppeteers:

We teach our kids. We love our kids. Then we send our kids out into the word and hope it was enough. Sometimes it wasn't. Sometimes there are ‘bad' friends that have bad ideas about what constitutes fun. Just because we raise a child and teach the child doesn't mean that the child will do what we taught him/her to do.

3. The nature of the teen. Most of this can be backed up from http://www.ext.vt.edu...

a. Teens are rebellious. Mainly what this means is that teens don't just accept what they are told, they have to find out for themselves, they don't just do what they are told to do, they need to have an understanding of /why/. Without going through this stage, as adults, these people would be unable to function. This is where we learn not only that our opinions matter, but how to form, justify, and defend those opinions- by questioning what is told.

b. Teens are self-destructive. They have what is called ‘magical thinking' http://www.ext.nodak.edu.... They don't think bad things, like getting caught, can happen to them. They rarely are able to think through their actions to the consequences, because, in spite of hard proof to the contrary, they don't think consequences would happen.

The nature of the teen suggests that s/he will be thinking for his or her own self, questioning and sometimes refusing all information and limitations, and unable to grasp the concept of consequence related to self. This does not sound like the type of thought processes that would lead to sound judgments, regardless of parental attempts to guide and discipline.

What I have explained is that teens must be expected to assume personal responsibility for their own actions. Parents can not physically be there every step of the way to keep their kids from messing up, nor would society benefit from such a situation. Finally the nature of the teen is to act in a way contrary to authority. These issues combine to show that as teenagers, children can and do behave contrary to the law regardless of parents' teachings.
inuyasha_freak

Pro

Even if the child chewed gum in class, and is not supposed to, I bet that it's because their parents chewed a lot of gum. It's the parent's responsibility to take care of their teen. It'd their responsibilty to punish their teen for their wrong actions, and take almost all the blame from their teen's wrong action. it's the parent's responsibility to teach their child not to commit crimes and punish their teen if they do so.

Parents are supposed to be the role model for their child. The children learn from their parents. It's their fault for raising them badly.

That is why the parent should be charged equally as the teen.
Xera

Con

*Even if the child chewed gum in class, and is not supposed to, I bet that it's because their parents chewed a lot of gum.*

Not at all. It is most likely because his/her friends are chewing gum. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com...

*It's the parent's responsibility to take care of their teen It'd their responsibility to punish their teen for their wrong actions.*

Agreed, but that doesn't have anything to do with the resolution. However there is one thing you need to be aware of. Caring for the children is not the total job of parents. The most important job of the parent is to raise productive members of society. This is important to know for an argument I will present later.

*and take almost all the blame from their teen's wrong action. *

Extend my point 1 argument (Assumption of personal responsibility)

If we wait until a person is 18 in order to allow them to make choices based on the personal responsibility, we have not allowed them time to fail and learn so that they are prepared for the real big choices and consequences like- who to vote for, whether to go college or not, who to marry, how many children to have, and how to raise them. In other words, by failing to teach children personal responsibility for actions, society and parents fail in the primary job of making /good / future citizens.

*it's the parent's responsibility to teach their child not to commit crimes and punish their teen if they do so. *

That is not what we are arguing. We are in agreement that parents should punish their chidren for poor behavior. We are arguing if parents should be held equally responsible for the actions of their teen as the teen is. Not the same ting at all.

Extend my point 2 argument: (teens don't always do what they have been taught to do) and my 3a argument (teens are, naturally, rebellious)

If this argument were valid then every single one of the issues on my profile should be reflected by I'm Always Right. Obviously she has the ability to have opinions that differ from mine, regardless of how I taught her.

Ladies and Gentlemen the clear choice here is a vote for Con. My opponent offers nothing but opinion that teens are not able to make choices that differ from the teachings of the parents. Clearly a vote for Con is the only logical vote.
inuyasha_freak

Pro

I agree with Xera that it is possible that the teens friends could be chewing gum, but what i really mean is those big time crimes, such as rape or murder. If the teen had raped or murdered someone in their past, then the parent should have disciplined the teen to any extent and sent the teen to juvie. If you don't discipline the teen, then you just put them back on the road of crimes. And the best person in the world to discipline someone is their parents.

What I'm trying to say is that its the parents job to praise the teens for their rights, and discipline to any extent for their wrongs.

I agree with Xera that it is not the parent that took part in any of the crime, but its their responsibility to discipline the teen for their wrongs. Like I said, wrong is wrong, no matter how you look at it.

I agree with Xera that teens are rebellious and it is hard to straighten them up, but if you discipline them severely, they WILL listen.
Xera

Con

"big time crimes, such as rape or murder. If the teen had raped or murdered someone in their past, then the parent should have disciplined the teen to any extent and sent the teen to juvie."

Ok, this is kind of corverd in my one and only ground rule: the parents did not actively try to cover up the crime. If the parents knew their child was guilty, and kept the police from jailing them, the parent is guilty of a crime called accessory after the fact, and it is usually judged as equal to commiting the crime. This applies to all people that help to hide evidence of a crime they know happened. I do not dispute that this is a valid law.

"its their responsibility to discipline the teen for their wrongs. Like I said, wrong is wrong, no matter how you look at it."

I have never argued this point.

"I agree with Xera that teens are rebellious and it is hard to straighten them up, but if you discipline them severely, they WILL listen."

lol, that kind of discipline could quickly turn into abuse. It is VITAL to society that at this age, teens be given opportunities to think and reason for themselves. IF they are not given those chances, then they won't be able to make the real hard choices later in life.

Ladies and Gentlemen I would like to take this opportunity to restate my case.

1. Teens are old enough to take responsibility for their own behavior

2. Parents can not control what their teens do, think, or how they act.

3. Peers have more influence on teen behavior than parents do

4.The nature of the teen is to take chances, make mistakes, rebel against all forms of authority, and to think consequences won't apply to them

My opponant has admitted she agrees with me on major issues. Our only true argument is over the statement that it is the parent's job to take responsiblity for the teens behavior. She has failed to explain why this is.

I urge you- vote CON
Posted by stfuss 7 years ago
stfuss
It is the teens who needs to be charged for their activities, but involving parents into the charges is not good. But being a responsible parent, one must provide better parenting to children to make them learn good things, if they are irresponsible definitely children will be a problem to the society. http://www.troubledteensguide.com...
Posted by mufasa 9 years ago
mufasa
i am a teenager.I would like to express my views against this topic..In the school i study in study in we are not allowed to mintain long hair.When we do happen to violate this law,our hair is cut by the school barbour disproportionately.But acoording to the proposition when a boy is caught with long hair he should be given a haircut along with his parents sitting right next to him...as they are solely responsible for their child's discipline..
Posted by Xera 9 years ago
Xera
Inuyasha Freak, thank you for a great debate. I very much enjoyed myself, I look forward to debating you again :D.
Posted by Im_always_right 9 years ago
Im_always_right
it does suk.

a "half demon" looking for a jewl??
His GF already got killed over the stupid jewl.

Whats so great about the show???
Posted by Xera 9 years ago
Xera
Inuyasha is an ongoing discussion between IAR and myself. She says it sucks, I say it's not bad. Good Luck.
Posted by inuyasha_freak 9 years ago
inuyasha_freak
Inuyasha dosen't suck.It's kinda in the middle.
Posted by Im_always_right 9 years ago
Im_always_right
Go Xera!!!

BTW Inuyasha sux, it really does.

Maybe inuyasha freak doesn't, but the show does.
Vote Placed by Killer542 9 years ago
Killer542
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by MrsBlueBalls 9 years ago
MrsBlueBalls
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by indianajones644 9 years ago
indianajones644
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by Karoz 9 years ago
Karoz
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by mufasa 9 years ago
mufasa
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by lorca 9 years ago
lorca
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by I_am_Einstein 9 years ago
I_am_Einstein
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by Im_always_right 9 years ago
Im_always_right
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by JoeBob 9 years ago
JoeBob
inuyasha_freakXeraTied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
inuyasha_freakXeraTied