lol101
OobsTheWise

Should terrible debaters be removed from Debate.org?

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

lol101

Pro

Rules:
-No trolling
-No kritiks/semantics
-Con cannot provide a definition
-You must accept that by "terrible" I mean debaters who have a reputation for being of a horrendously low quality in debating. I'm referring to the group of debaters who are absolutely terrible at debating and have been that way for quite some time; debaters who are only a little bad or have just started DDO are not "terrible debaters". So I will set up my criteria for terrible: If you have been in at least 50 debates and you have only a win ratio of 10% or less, you are a terrible debater and should be removed from DDO.
-Round 1 is acceptance only.
OobsTheWise

Con

simply put the exclusion of members from debate.org for the a low win loss ratio stands against the ideology of debate in general. In the 18th century during the age of enlightenment debate society's sprang up all around London, there purpose being to provide a place where any person regardless of gender or social background could come and express their ideologies and philosophies, it was a platform where anyone could express themselves.

Banning members for their win percentile goes against the fundamental principles of debate. Debate is not about having a superior intelect over another but rather about the enlightenment obtained through an outside perspective.
lol101

Pro

My opponent has chosen to post an argument on the acceptance round. That's okay, although it may cost you your conduct point.

I understand that removing terrible debaters may go against the principles of debate. However, I did set up a criteria for a terrible debater in the acceptance round. Those who have a reputation for being a terrible debater. If one has a low win ratio that is 10% or less and has been in quite a few debates, (50) then they are showing absolutely no sign of improvement. I'm not expecting everybody to be a genius, I am expecting that some of the worst debaters are removed from the website. They only defeat the purpose of debating, and that's having close debates between people so that their voices may be heard in these issues, or having people learning about debating. Winning only 5 debates out 50 while also losing 45 is absolutely terrible. They will never become that much better. Also, if we get rid of terrible debaters, people will be challeged more often and will get more intelligent. Like I said, I'm not expecting everybody to be a genius, I am expecting that any debater that is just THAT awful should be removed from the site. The fact of the matter, is that there are not THAT many terrible debaters in this website. I do not care if the site's popularity plummets a bit if that means our debaters are going to get smarter. Also, newcomers and people who are very close to becoming terrible debaters will become more aware of the consequences and will step up their game to a whole new level. Debating is a very important subject to learn. It has you practice arguing with people so that you'll know how to use your debating skills when you're older. Since lots of people in our generation have become less intelligent and more lazy, terrible debaters may start to flood Debate.org. I don't want this to happen, since less and less people are going to grow up not knowing how to argue their way out of a situation. If we're going to prevent a major dumbing down in our generation, we must start here in Debate.org.
OobsTheWise

Con

I would like to apologize to my opponent for the premature argument

In contrast to my opponents argument i would like to dispute the fact that there are many alternate strategy less severely cut and dry that can be set into place to insure that opponents are of a commensurate caliber. There are devices implemented into this site already that will insure an equal match for example the option to have "Only a member who is ranked as good as or better than me" or the option to choose the age range of your target opponent ensuring that you have an opposition of an equal maturity level and life experience. Alternatively there are many restrictive techniques that could be enforced, such as a level system where you have to win a certain number of debates to go up in rank. There could be a free for all board where members of any rank can post debates, and likewise there can multi level boards where a member would have to have achieved a certain rank to enter and participate. The aforementioned technique would also take care of my opponents concern regarding debaters not stepping up there game, rather then retaliate with consequence why not give them a positive pedestal to aim to achieve by implementing the level system. To be honest this website's system is by no means optimal, it could be that many of these "terrible" debaters might simply be taking on opponents and topics way over there heads, but they shouldn't be punished for that. My opponent has one good point, society has rolled backwards when it comes to challenging themselves intellectually but many outside forces are at fault for that. However the main thing to look at is that these members took the initiative to join an intellectually driven group of people at debate.org which means they have the desire to challenge themselves intellectually. We as humans must stop pushing the people who we think inferior aside because we deem them to be useless members of society , we cant give up on the human race. I've always had a saying, i would always pick the untalented passionate hard worker who persevere to be the best he can be, over the person born with natural talent.
lol101

Pro

lol101 forfeited this round.
OobsTheWise

Con

While there is not much to argue this round Pro does give one good example as to why some may have low win loss, debate.org is not a full time job. It stands to reason that not everyone is going to have time to respond with a well thought out argument meaning some are going to forfeit a round,however that does not mean they are a horrible debater. My previous argument still stands true.
lol101

Pro

lol101 forfeited this round.
OobsTheWise

Con

OobsTheWise forfeited this round.
lol101

Pro

lol101 forfeited this round.
OobsTheWise

Con

OobsTheWise forfeited this round.
Posted by jamccartney 2 years ago
jamccartney
People should really organize their arguments into paragraphs.
Posted by OobsTheWise 2 years ago
OobsTheWise
@krayracker i agree, depending on the outcome i believe it would be beneficial for the admins to read
Posted by krayracker 2 years ago
krayracker
This seems like it will be a great debate...
Posted by OobsTheWise 2 years ago
OobsTheWise
sorry about the incorrect format, this is pretty much my first debate, i am enjoying this thank you for allowing me to participate though my qualifications were not up to your requirement.
Posted by lol101 2 years ago
lol101
Fixed
Posted by lol101 2 years ago
lol101
There
Posted by OobsTheWise 2 years ago
OobsTheWise
it says i do not match the instigators age or rank requirements. I just created an account today
Posted by lol101 2 years ago
lol101
Like what?
Posted by OobsTheWise 2 years ago
OobsTheWise
if you would like to change your requirements i would be more then happy to support the opposition.
Posted by lol101 2 years ago
lol101
Well there are debates about people marrying their toasters so.... yeah.