ILoveCars
Lavaguava

Should the 2017 Ford GT cost $400,000?

Lavaguava
Started: 8/5/2015 Category: Cars

ILoveCars

Con

The Ford GT sure is America's road-legal racecar, but when it comes to competition, you could buy a Dodge Viper ACR or Corvette Z06 3LZ Z07 for less than $130,000. That being said, they have more power (645 and 650 hp, respectively) than the 592bhp Ford GT. They all hit 0-60mph in less than 3.5 seconds and hit top speeds north of 177 mph.

"Car and Driver" estimates the ACR to be priced at over $122,000. In November 2014 they also test-drove the under-$99K Z06 with Stage 3 Z07, managing a 0-60 time probably two-tenths quicker than the GT will do. Earlier in September they made the 2015 Lamborghini Huracan do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds with all-wheel-drive. Even it costs less than $350,000.

I doubt the GT would cost anywhere past $230K, but some websites are claiming about $400,000 because apparently Ford will make 250 units a year (source: many websites!).
Lavaguava

Pro

This is an excellent example of a potential Veblen good. A Veblen good is a product which is extremely overpriced for the sole utilisation of the "Snob effect", access to a highly exclusive good due to the artificially high price. The mega rich, the type that can afford to throw away $400000 on a car, purely for show, are easily willing to pay this amount. Owning this car would be similar to driving a poster, reading: "Look at me, peasants, I can afford to throw away $400K on a car that is likely worth nowhere near that much! I am clearly far more successful than any of you!". Some people see the value in this.

The car is a product, it requires skilled workmen to design and construct the finished product to the required standard. If people viewing this car desired a car of value, they would buy a well built, general purpose, economical car, certainly priced at nowhere near this amount.

I have more potential arguments to use in this logic battle of opinions.
ILoveCars

Con

ILoveCars forfeited this round.
Lavaguava

Pro

As you have forfeited I will assume that you either found my argument highly compelling or were merely short on time. I am now unsure how to put forward an argument against a forfeit, I will nonetheless continue.

I have described within the first round the concept of Veblen goods, describing the phenomena which fits the occurrence. I reserved the concept of the free market for round two, assuming that you would argue that alternatives to the stated vehicle may be found elsewhere. Due to the presence of the free market, a defining feature of the successful capitalist world, goods may be priced at whatever figure the seller desires. Within many cultures historically, avarice was considered a sin and was punishable, and went against religious morality. However in the modern day, ethics and morality have little to do with capitalism, man is a cold calculator and all but a few are willing to go to great ends to ensure superiority. The free market thus allows the seller to attribute any amount of wealth and select the price of a product, no collusion has necessarily taken place, it is unlikely to have as the good being sold is not uniform amongst companies, therefore companies can not set and raise prices as the products are worth different amounts.

I would provide a more lengthy argument however I have no indication as to whether you are even reviewing the debate.
ILoveCars

Con

In November 2014 they also test-drove the under-$99K Z06 with Stage 3 Z07, managing a 0-60 time probably two-tenths quicker than the GT will do. Earlier in September they made the 2015 Lamborghini Huracan do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds with all-wheel-drive. Even it costs less than $350,000.

Lavaguava

Pro

It appears you have chosen to re-post much of your initial argument, hardly a valid rebuttal. I refuse to provide a lengthy argument until you manage something constructive against my point.

I will present what I find to be most contradictory against your heavily cloned argument. You have thus far compared the car in question to others designed for largely the same purpose. This comparison is mostly useless for the companies themselves, they are providing a product that is unique, for example a Ford fanatic (a wealthy one), would much rather a Ford to, for example, a Ferrari. In terms of specifications they may be compared, however in terms of what the cars mean to the buyer, they are not comparable.

I believe I have won this argument, unless of course you produce a revolutionary fourth round.

No sources are needed, only logical thinking.
ILoveCars

Con

ILoveCars forfeited this round.
Lavaguava

Pro

Once again you have forfeited, I have clearly won this debate. I am now unable to further my point as no counter-argument has been presented.
Posted by nba 1 year ago
nba
it should cost less like $100 a month
Posted by nba 1 year ago
nba
it should cost less like $100 a month
Posted by nba 1 year ago
nba
it should cost less like $100 a month
Posted by nba 1 year ago
nba
it should cost less like $100 a month
Posted by Lavaguava 1 year ago
Lavaguava
Please would you give indication as to your intentions.
Posted by Lavaguava 1 year ago
Lavaguava
Please give indication as to your intentions.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
ILoveCarsLavaguavaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture. Con failed to clash with Pro, so I'd have to give Pro the arguments points for that.