kevin_bennettxs
TBR

Should the Affordable Care Act be repealed?

TBR

kevin_bennettxs

Con

Obamacare, or the Affordable Care Act, is plummeting our nation's economy and raising our debt. If we replace the Affordable Care act with something that is more thought out and approved by more of the majority of congress.
We need to decide to repeal this unorthodox program and replace it with a more, thought out plan that both parties believe with.
TBR

Pro

I accept - I assume that kevin_bennettxs has reversed Pro/Con and is supporting the question.
kevin_bennettxs

Con

Yes, you are deemed correct.
As for the Affordable Care Act, it is a huge, corrupt program that included a government shut down for about two weeks last year.
After implication, the program has increased federal debt and taxes. It is costing the American government and people funds that they don't necessarily have.
The government needs to figure out this issue and propose a new bill that is less corrupt and doesn't cost the American people as much of their tax money.
TBR

Pro

`My opponent has yet to offer a shred of evidence that the Affordable Care Act is 1) plummeting our nation's economy or 2) raising our debt.

The most recent news that I can only assume my opponent may be aware of is a new report from the GAO[1]. Up to this newest report, the GAO had projected cost savings, the new report seems less rosy. However, this is not the case. From the report - “The effect of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), enacted in March 2010, on the long-term fiscal outlook depends largely on whether elements in PPACA designed to control cost growth are sustained.”. The report also still projects the insurance component to be revenue neutral regardless. Far from “plummeting our nation's economy”, from the same report “ "There was notable improvement in the longer-term outlook after the enactment of [the health care law] under GAO's Fall 2010 Baseline Extended simulation, which assumes both the expansion of health care coverage and the full implementation and effectiveness of the cost-containment provisions over the entire 75-year simulation period."

My opponent blames the ACA for the government shutdown, and labels it as “corrupt”. The ACA may be the issue that the government was shut down over, but it was not the law that shut it down, it was the Republican and TEA party’s that attempted to subvert the will of the people by forcing the issue through a government shutdown. One that was costly, on top of the extraordinary and pointless costs of the 50 plus fruitless attempts to overturn the law in its entirety or parts of the law or defund the law [2]. As for the charge of corruption, I have no knowledge of any corruption, and without any supporting evidence from my opponent, can only assume it’s a fallacious charge.

http://www.gao.gov...

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com...

kevin_bennettxs

Con

kevin_bennettxs forfeited this round.
TBR

Pro

No great supprise. My points stand.
Posted by kevin_bennettxs 2 years ago
kevin_bennettxs
I am pro. I believe it should be repealed. Sorry for the mix up
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Sorry are you pro or con on it being repealed?
Vote Placed by maydaykiller 2 years ago
maydaykiller
kevin_bennettxsTBRTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture from Con. In addition, Pro clearly had better arguments.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
kevin_bennettxsTBRTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture