ksteelers
MacMiller

Should the Board of Education include the Bible into the Public School Curriculum?

ksteelers

Con

1st Round will be acceptance
2nd Round will be opening statements
3rd Round will be rebuttal
4th Round will be closing statements

I'm going to debate on why the Bible should stay out of the public school curriculum.

In this debate, I'll be using the Constitution itself to show how adding the Bible into public school systems is unconstitutional. Note, when I say adding the Bible, I mean as in making the kids read it during class times.
MacMiller

Pro

I accept your challenge and I hope you further elaborate your points.
ksteelers

Con

Before we begin, I'd like to thank you for accepting this debate.

The First Amendment of the United States Constitution states 'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.'

Within this amendment, the freedom of religion has been given to us. Adding the Bible into the school's curriculum would violate this freedom (unless the Bible was being read for literature purposes only).

In the Supreme Court case of Engel v. Vitale in 1962, the Supreme Court ruled that mandatory prayer and mandatory Bible readings was deemed unconstitutional. The case ruling begins with 'Because of the prohibition of the First Amendment against the enactment of any law "respecting an establishment of religion," which is made applicable to the States by the Fourteenth Amendment, state officials may not compose an official state prayer and require that it be recited in the public schools of the State at the beginning of each school day -- even if the prayer is denominationally neutral and pupils who wish to do so may remain silent or be excused from the room while the prayer is being recited.'

-U.S. Supreme Court; Engel v. Vitale

Many kids of different religions attend public schools. Why should we force them to follow a single religion when it doesn't match up with their beliefs? Public schools should remain a neutral ground when it comes to religion and should only teach subjects that don't involve religion.

According to a poll, about two-thirds of Americans want to place the Bible back in schools. Unless the Bible is only being read for literature purposes, I do not agree with that idea, and neither does the constitution. As an atheist, I don't believe that we should teach kids from a religious book. It'd be like forcing the kids to read the Quran.
MacMiller

Pro

MacMiller forfeited this round.
ksteelers

Con

Since my opponent had forfeited the second round, I'll have to push my rebuttal to round 4 with my closing statement.

MacMiller

Pro

MacMiller forfeited this round.
ksteelers

Con

ksteelers forfeited this round.
MacMiller

Pro

MacMiller forfeited this round.
Posted by ksteelers 2 years ago
ksteelers
I have a feeling that he's not going to respond to the debate at all.