Firesofthenether
RonPaulConservative

Should the Capitalist mode of production be preferred to a Socialist economy?

Firesofthenether has forfeited round #3.
Started: 10/27/2016 Category: Economics
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

Firesofthenether

Con

With the recent economic crisis of 2015, we face an interesting dilemma. On our hands is the worst economic crash since the great depression. Many youths have stated their support for a different form of economy, with polls showing 63% of youth 20 and under preferring Socialism, while only 33% prefer Capitalism. This gives us an interesting question, should the Capitalist mode of production be preferred to a Socialist economy?

Rules.

1 No Wikipedia.

2 No historical examples of either system, simply economic theory.

3 Attempt to use citation (I'll probably fail at that as well so no bother).

Definitions.
Capitalism: an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.

Socialism: a political and economic theory of social organization that advocates that the means of production, distribution, and exchange should be owned or regulated by the community as a whole.
RonPaulConservative

Pro

Capitalism should be prefered to Socialism because private property is a right, and everyone should be in charge of themselves- the goveronment should not be running our lives.
Firesofthenether

Con

My opponent fails to realize the Marxist definitions of property, of which there are four: Personal Property (which is exactly as you would assume) Communal Property (owned by the community democratically) State Property (owned by the state) and, Private property (owned privately to monetize off of). Marxism does, in fact, believe that property is a right, however, the property which it believes is a right is Personal rather than Private. Marxism believes in the abolition of Private property, and the division into, state, communal, and personal property depending on the usage of said property. Marxism also does believe in the eventual abolition of the state, however, it recognizes that the state has always been necessary for systematic transition.
RonPaulConservative

Pro

Private property is a right also- the govt has no right to rob people, that is just blattantly immoral.
Posted by Firesofthenether 1 month ago
Firesofthenether
I apologise for my forfeit, I simply did not have the last few days free. Yet as I understand it, my opponent simply restated his argument and did not provide any counterargument.