Koraesboy
DedSecz

Should the Church St. Sophia in Istanbul be turned back into a Greek Orthodox Church.

Koraesboy

Pro

The Church St. Sophia at first was a Greek Orthodox Church. When the Ottoman Turks invaded Constantinople they turned into a muslim mosque. Later, they turned it into a museum. To this day it is still a museum. The Turks have almost no respect for the Orthodox Christian Church. Turkey has almost complete control of the church. This church used to be the center of the Christian Faith. Now, it is a museum for the Turks. This church needs to be a Orthodox Church. Thank you.
DedSecz

Con

Well, dear Koraesboy, as you stated, St.Sophia (or also known as Hagia Sophia), WAS a Greek Orthodox Church. I understand that what they did wasn't appropriate at all, especially for a church. A part of the damages cannot be repaired at all! But do not forget that the Byzantines did a lot of vandalism as well (not only to Ottomans).
Can you please explain as well, why the fact that St.Sofia is currently a museum is bad? I do not see anything "bad" about it. It is clearly income, and with the funds needed, St.Sophia will be repaired as much as possible (do not forget that St.Sophia is protected under UNESCO as well, which means that you can rebuild only a part of the monument in order to be called a "monument"). That way, more tourists will be able to visit such an astonishing historical building.
Last but not least, I must mention that St.Sophia wasn't the center of Christian Faith, it was the center of ORTHODOX Christian Faith, a religion of 300 million followers (while Catholics have over a BILLION followers [1.2 billion]). Even though this was a great impact for orthodoxy, things like this happened a lot throughout history. What can historians say about libraries (Great Library of Alexandria) being burned thanks to Julius Caesar?

Thanks for your time,
Dedsecz, Greece.
Koraesboy

Pro

Actually, Catholics and Orthodox used to be the same religion. Until the Orthodox left the Catholics for leadership reasons. But back to the point. I understand the Byzantines did vandalize many people. But you have to think about the Ottoman Turks. They took over what is today Turkey not to mention Greece, Serbia,etc. First they turn it into a mosque and then to a museum. Is that how you are suppose to treat a house of God? Not to mention the way they treat the Ecumenical Patriarch and all Orthodox Christians in Turkey.
Income? You mention the word income. So your telling me that the Turks are taking income of a Hagia Sophia. So your telling me the Turks invade Constantinople, turn the church into a mosque and then make it a museum, and take income of off it. I am sure that is fair.
DedSecz

Con

Well, indeed they were one, but their relations weren't the best as far as I remember, and they took their own paths before the conquest of Constantinople. Please prove me wrong if I am somewhere mistaken. Why does it matter that Ottoman took over Byzantine Empire and today it is named Turkey? This happened 561 years before! A lot of things occurred and we could do even more! Remember the Smyrna Incident my friend! If we handled the situation correctly, we could still have Asia Minor (Anatolia) at least. Do not blame it exclusively on the Turks.

And about your last point, you are partly right. However, do not forget that only a part of the income goes to the Turkish Government. And do not forget our gorgeous monuments as well! The Parthenon, Delphi and many more. This is just the two most important points of interests for a tourist!

My opinion might not be the best I can express but I think my points are valid to a point as well! If my grammar has some errors please do not hesitate to correct me, since I am only 15.

DedSecz,
Greece.
Koraesboy

Pro

Koraesboy forfeited this round.
DedSecz

Con

DedSecz forfeited this round.
Koraesboy

Pro

Koraesboy forfeited this round.
DedSecz

Con

DedSecz forfeited this round.
Posted by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
Yeah it should, but unless you have another crusade lined up it ain't happening...
Posted by dbushwacker 2 years ago
dbushwacker
Hmm, what's that about Creativist?
Posted by Creativist 2 years ago
Creativist
It is so funny how you turned this into an act of disrespect against Christians and I'm pretty sure there are more ancient buildings in other countries that you can say is disrespecting. Wow.
Posted by Creativist 2 years ago
Creativist
No it shouldn't.
Posted by dbushwacker 2 years ago
dbushwacker
Did you get this idea from me sometime? I know I brought it up unofficially when I proposed a radical idea of a 10th Crusade to retake Constantinople. I don't mind either way, I was just browsing the debates when I saw it so I thought I'd ask. >:P