bman7720
TBSmothers

Should the Confederate Flag be Banned?

bman7720

Con

The first round will be acceptance, stating your thesis, and addressing any definitions that may be confusing in later arguments.

I will argue that the Confederate Flag should be legally allowed on personal property.
TBSmothers

Pro

I accept this debate and wish the con the best of luck
bman7720

Con

bman7720 forfeited this round.
TBSmothers

Pro

Since the con forfeited the previous round I will keep this brief.

I want everyone reading this to think about what the confederate flag represents/ represented. Some people may say that

it represents racism, or even pride in one's heritage, but when I think of the flag the word rebellion comes to mind. This

flag hung high over eleven American states to show that they were no longer going to apart of the nation. As most of you

know there attempt to secede failed but resulted in the death of 620,000 soldiers,[1] If an event such as the civil war were

to happen today the casualties would be catastrophic, and would most likely collapse the United States economy. Another

example of the confederate flag being the forefront of

rebellion goes back to 1961 when it was raised over the state house of South Carolina during the height of the civil rights

movement. [2] These are the reasons why I feel that the confederate flag should be banned, since it tends to appear during

American crisis.

If the con doesn't forfeit the next round I will expand on this argument.
Source(s)
[1] http://www.civilwar.org...
[2] http://www.cnn.com...
bman7720

Con

bman7720 forfeited this round.
bman7720

Con

bman7720 forfeited this round.
TBSmothers

Pro

extended. vote pro!!!
Posted by adc 1 year ago
adc
Unless one would be using the Confederate Flag to intimidate civilian population, thus perpetrating an act of 'domestic terrorism' under U.S code title 18 section 2331, ownership, or just the flag in general, should, and cannot be banned under the 1st Amendment.
Posted by TBSmothers 1 year ago
TBSmothers
@megadehrock44 yeah I this will probably end in a loss, but I wanted have a challenging debate for my first one back
Posted by MegadethRocks44 1 year ago
MegadethRocks44
you do know the American flag flew over slavery for 80 years before the civil war right? the confederate flag was only for about 4 years.
Posted by MegadethRocks44 1 year ago
MegadethRocks44
wait are you really against it being on a person's private property? because that is completely different from it being above a federal building.
Posted by TBSmothers 1 year ago
TBSmothers
I think it's fine for personal possession , so this will be a tough debate for me.
Posted by WillSelenus 1 year ago
WillSelenus
I'm assuming this is talking about people being allowed to own Confederate flags on private property. I too have never heard anyone advocate making that illegal. I'm really excited to see you debate this. If no one accepts your challenge after a while, I may accept to simulate an opponent as best I can.
Posted by bman7720 1 year ago
bman7720
@Wylted, there are smaller groups of people who believe that it is an issue of public decency due to the history behind the flag.
Posted by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
I've never seen anyone say or imply it should be banned.
Posted by Lee001 1 year ago
Lee001
I don't think it should be at all.
Posted by bman7720 1 year ago
bman7720
Kasmic, there are in fact people who believe that it should not be.