CamoSpiderman8
TheYoungManAndTheSea

Should the Confederate Flag be banned?

Started: 7/2/2015 Category: Economics

CamoSpiderman8

Con

Is the Confederate Flag really racist? Or just a Southern thing? It's not racist! It's Southern people (like me) showing pride in their country. The flag shouldn't be banned because it's a part of history. Now we can't buy confederate flags online but we can buy Isis and Nazi flags. What is wrong with this world?
TheYoungManAndTheSea

Pro

I believe the Confederate flag should be banned.

1. You argue that the Confederate flag is not racist. I argue that the flag is in fact racist for a number of reasons. The first is that many racist groups or individuals holding racists beliefs or convictions display the flag as a symbol of their beliefs or convictions. The Confederate Flag also represents the states that decided to secede from the union because they believed they should have the right to uphold laws protecting slavery in their own states.

2. You argue that displaying the flag is showing pride in your country. The current national flag is the stars and stripes. The 50 stars represent the unity of the 50 states. The Confederate flag, or the Confederate Battle flag represents the states that seceded from the union, which is a total contradiction to what the current national flag stands for.

3. You argue that the flag represents a part of US history. I agree that the flag IS a part of our history, but I do not agree with displaying it openly without a historical context. Having the flag in a museum is on thing, but having it on the back window up a pickup truck is another. Flying a flag suggests the individual supports the flag and what it represents, and does not suggest that they are merely flying it for historical purposes. In Germany it is illegal to display the Nazi flag, with the exception being in museum.

4. You argue that it is unfair to be able to purchase Nazi and ISIS flags online but be unable to purchase a Confederate flag online. Confederate flags can still be purchased from a number of websites excluding the major retailers that announced they would be removing the flag from their inventory. The same major retailers that no longer sell the Confederate Flag have never sold Nazi or ISIS flags. I would also like to argue that the confederate is much more likely to be flown as opposed to a Nazi or ISIS flag, which I, anecdotally, have never seen being publicly displayed.
CamoSpiderman8

Con

1. I do agree that the flag represents the states that decided to withdraw from the union because of their beliefs, but it's a part of history to show some of the mistakes America has made with the racism and split states. That may be a good thing to make sure America doesn't do it again or make the same mistakes.

2. You argue that the stars and stripes flag with 50 stars for the 50 states (American Flag) is the national flag because the Confederate flag shows the states that withdrew from the Union, yes but again it's a part of history just like the American flag. That's kind of like saying we should take the American flag down for fighting battles with other countries.

3. You argue that we should not display the Confederate flag without historical context and that someone may think that the person supports racism or the fight for it back then, yes I agree but some people do like to show it as history not just as racism or the split states. Some people fly it as a sign that their ancestors fought in the battle, or was some help in the fight at that time.

4. Lastly, you argue that some websites do still sell Confederate flags. Yes that is true but there are very few because of the newest debate. Also you argue that the confederate flag is flown more than Nazi or ISIS flags, that is true but there are still a lot of ISIS flags flown. If you look into craigslist or amazon and all those other websites then you will see that there are ISIS flags for sale while when I look up Confederate flag or Rebel flag there are no search results.
TheYoungManAndTheSea

Pro

1. The Confederate flag is continually used as a logo by many racist organizations to this day. And if preserving southern history is such a big concern, wouldn't a museum be the perfect place to see the flag?

2. It is absurd for an individual to claim pride in their country yet fly a flag that represents the disunion of their countries states as well as the seceding states that supported slavery. That would be like flying an apartheid era flag in South Africa.

3. The Confederate flag represents a conglomerate of states that seceded from the union because they felt their practice of slavery was threatened. The flag has continually been a part of racist actions from the opposition to the civil rights movement to the Facebook pictures of Dylan Roof posing with his gun and his Confederate flag (1).

4. You said that that there are ISIS flags being sold on Amazon. After a quick search of both 'ISIS flag' and 'Islamic State flag,' I found zero evidence of either being sold. You also stated that there are "still a lot of ISIS flags flown." That is inaccurate. From my research there has been one reported instance of an American flying an ISIS flag. According to inquisitr.com a New Jersey man mistakenly flew an ISIS flag and since discovering its true meaning has subsequently taken it down (2). The supposed ISIS flag being flown at a gay pride parade was actually a parody displaying sex toys instead of Arabic letters (3). Also the comparison between the Confederate and Nazi and ISIS flags suggests that it is contentious.

(1) http://theweek.com...
(2) http://www.inquisitr.com...
(3) http://www.washingtonpost.com...
CamoSpiderman8

Con

CamoSpiderman8 forfeited this round.
TheYoungManAndTheSea

Pro

I argue this debate would be better with fewer rounds.
CamoSpiderman8

Con

CamoSpiderman8 forfeited this round.
TheYoungManAndTheSea

Pro

TheYoungManAndTheSea forfeited this round.
CamoSpiderman8

Con

CamoSpiderman8 forfeited this round.
TheYoungManAndTheSea

Pro

Posted by Rami 2 years ago
Rami
I think its a issue that isn't important. It is trivial and timewasting to debate or to ban the flag. Just live with it. Its not like banning the flag will accomplish anything important.
Posted by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
Hmmm, I do believe the flag to be a racist symbol though I am not for it to be banned.