TrumpAmerica2020
frankfurter50

Should the Confederate Flag be banned?

TrumpAmerica2020 has forfeited round #2.

TrumpAmerica2020

Con

I believe that the Confederate flag shouldn't be banned because it is a part of American history and we can't efface our history. Also, it is heritage to those of us down south.
frankfurter50

Pro

Trump America. You poor, ignorant being. the confederate flag is a demonic symbol and should be considered an equal to the swastika. It represents centuries of injustice to the African race. To honor it is to glorify the sins of the white man. To even think about it makes me nauseous. It represents a time in American history when everything was on the verge of collapse. dear God, man, the civil war killed more people than World war 2. Did you know that? You can look at old photos, and see miles of corpses sprawled out on dirt. That, to me, is what the confederate flag represents.

Besides, honoring it makes no sense. The confederacy is long gone, it has been for over a century, and it never was a real country. However, we often forget that it COULD have been a real country, where slavery was a cold hard fact. I wouldn't live there, and I'm sure humanity would have moved past slavery at some point anyway, but thinking about it gives me the willies. The confederacy is the antithesis of everything that America stands for, they are polar opposites, like Jekyll and Hyde. One is good, the other evil, and the line between the two is very clear.

Burning confederate flags would not "Erase them from history," as many of you claim. You seem to fear that, without these records of history, the same thing might happen again. i can tell you for a fact that this is not the case. Just because we destroy statues of Robert E. Lee or burn confederate flags, it does not mean that the memory of the civil war is erased from the minds of people. That is not how memory works. We are simply destroying things which HONOR depravity and incorrect thinking, and we keep the artifacts which show an opposition to the horrible things.

Recently, I heard the Robert E. Lee statue being compared to holocaust museums. This is an inaccurate description. Holocaust museums are used to SHOW how horrible the holocaust was, that STATUE was built to HONOR a man who deserves no honor. There is a difference. The holocaust museums could be compared to the STATUE, I suppose, if they still burned thousands of Jewish people every day. That STATUE is not just a statue, it was built in a time where people whipped their fellow beings. The STATUE does not have an inscription at the bottom that reads how many people Robert E. Lee killed, it talks about what a nice person he was. The statue could be made more accurate if it represented him as he really was, not as a superhero riding a horse.

But now, a little bit more about confederate flags. It does not matter if they are a part of your heritage down South. If that's part of your heritage, you should change your heritage. I suppose you like the KKK cross, too, hmm? Because it's part of your HERITAGE. Your heritage can be whatever you want it to be. It doesn't have to be demonic. You can move past that.

I await your next argument.
Posted by frankfurter50 8 months ago
frankfurter50
I never said slavery was good. Can you point out where I said that?
Posted by Shad0wXx 8 months ago
Shad0wXx
@What50 Thanks for helping me out with your own arguments. @frankfurter50 I don"t recall claiming that slavery was good, which you seem to insinuate. I am anti-slavery. Common sense. Also, would you like to present any evidence that "The civil war was about nothing but slavery." ?
Posted by frankfurter50 9 months ago
frankfurter50
1. Racism is bad, and talking about it in a positive light should be illegal.

2. The civil war was about nothing but slavery.

3. The Confederacy may have had some support back then, but supporting it now is like supporting Ancient Rome. It's gone.

4. Any southerner who fought for the north is Ok in my book. If they fought for the south, they're demonic demons.
Posted by frankfurter50 9 months ago
frankfurter50

Posted by frankfurter50 9 months ago
frankfurter50

Posted by What50 9 months ago
What50
1. Racism is bad, but they have the right to freely express their view. Instead of being a bigot to racist how about talk to them, understand their point of view, and try to develop your own opinion instead of going to baseless sterotypes.
2. The civil war was not ONLY about slavery. It concered State Rights vs Federal Government, slavery was part of State Rights.
3. Confederacy was a country, though for a short time it was technically a country. It had a government, president, and a capital, with laws.
4. Just because you support the south in that time doesn't make you a KKK sympathizer. The KKK was formed after the Civil War so supporting the South in that time doesn't make you a KKK supporter. Again they didn't fought only for slavery but they fought for their country and state rights. It's a generalization to say that everyone who was in the south support slavery. Most of them were Yeoman famers who worked on the farm with no slaves. So I ask you Frank if the Civil war was fought for only slavery and only slavery than why did Southern farmers with no slaves wanted to fight for Slavery only?
Posted by frankfurter50 9 months ago
frankfurter50
1. There is something called the right of free speech, but if you talk about how your grandparents butchered people, you'll be less popular. That's what happened to Paula Deen.

2. We DO need another law that tells us what we can and can't do, if it prevents the glorification of racism. Laws are put in place to prevent things like that.

3. "Those who erase old blackface posters still know what blackface was, but interpret it correctly." (me)

4. The civil war was only about slavery. To black people, anyway. I'm sure white people had some little petty political issues, but for black people it meant the difference between life or death.

5. Abraham Lincoln may have been a jerk, but that doesn't mean racism is good.

6. The Confederacy was never a country, because the south lost the war. They had a president, and a governmental system all planned out, but it never came to fruition.

7. The Confederacy is a symbol of the south, and people who support the south as it was during the civil war also support hate groups from that time, such as the KKK. The correlation may be vague, but it's there.
Posted by Shad0wXx 9 months ago
Shad0wXx
@frankfurter I have some points to make.

1. There is something called the Right of Free Speech. Ever heard of it?

2. Do we really need ANOTHER law telling us what we can and can"t do?

3. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." (George Santayana)

4. I do not believe that the U.S. Civil War was entirely about slavery. Consider reading "The Red Badge of Courage" (yes, I do understand that it is fiction, but still a good resource)

5. Take a look at, for example, Robert E. Lee"s actual views on slavery, etc. vs. Abraham Lincoln"s views on the same. Let me start you out with this quote: "If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that. What I do about Slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save this Union, and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. " (Abraham Lincoln). I am not claiming that Abraham Lincoln was pro-slavery; the evidence seems to strongly support him being against slavery. I am merely trying to point out that this wasn"t necessarily black-and-white, pure good versus pure evil.

6. You claim that the Confederacy was never a country. Really? If today, everyone outside the U.S.A. claimed that it is not a country, does that make it so? I think not.

7. You seem to insinuate that those who fly the Confederate flag also support the KKK. This is a seemingly baseless claim. If they truly supported the KKK, why not fly one of their flags alongside it, to make it clear?

I hope that you take the time to respond. If so, thank you for taking the time. I wish to have a peaceful and mature conversation with you.
Posted by frankfurter50 9 months ago
frankfurter50
Because that flag represents the unholy practice of holding people captive against their will based on their skin color. It is nothing like our flag.
Posted by Swagnarok 9 months ago
Swagnarok
That isn't at all what I was saying. The act of BURNING down an American flag is constitutionally protected speech, even though doing so is arguably the ultimate expression of contempt for this country. Why should people be allowed to do that but not fly an old flag in their yards?