best_debator
platoandaristotle

Should the Confederate Flag be flown?

best_debator has forfeited round #2.

best_debator

Pro

First, I would like to start off that I am not from the South. However, I think that the flag should be flown because it is a sign of one of the hard struggles that the U.S. overcame. Sure, It could be seen as a sign of slavery, but it is also a sign of how the U.S. had the strength to overcome that harsh time. If you can't fly the Confederate flag, shouldn't you not be able to fly the American flag because it is a sign of struggles?(Sarcastic)
platoandaristotle

Con

I once debated on the Pro side, but that was to explore the Pro side.
Let's begin.
Historically, the Confederate Battle Flag as it is today has been a symbol of the Confederacy, which was founded because the leadership of the US was increasingly federalist and abolitionist.
Flying a flag is supporting a cause - for example, the Gay Pride flag shows support for the rights of those with unconventional sexual orientations/identities.
The Confederate Battle Flag, thus, supports the cause of... well... the Confederacy's battles. In other words, battles fought by the Confederacy in support of slavery and states' rights.
Essentially, flying it is equivalent to saying "I support the Southern Democratic Party of the 1860s!"