JustAlfey
josh1273436

Should the Death Penalty be abolished?

JustAlfey

Con

I believe that the Death Penalty has no proper purpose in a first world society and is immoral.
josh1273436

Pro

I accept your challenge and I thank you for this opportunity. First off your first argument contradicts your position.
The death penalty should be abolished for many reasons. We can just sentence people to lifelong sentences in jail and not make them go through all the suffering of being executed, electric chaired, etc.
JustAlfey

Con

Restart, I just double negatived myself. Whoops. Maybe next time :(
josh1273436

Pro

Disregard the first two rounds
JustAlfey

Con

Now that I have had a life changing experience of some sort (I believe I was attacked by a pack of Velociraptors) I have had a completely unconnected change of heart that has somehow led me to believe that the Death Penalty is now completely good and Ethical. Now allow me to state my reasoning.

An action must come with a reaction. This is common physics. Newtons law if you will. If I where to punch a man in the face, said fist will convert my potential Energy into kinetic energy and send the said man or woman back. He/She gets knocked out and what happens next. Jail Time. This is the way things work correct?

Well the Death Penalty is the next step. it's at that point when sending someone to their death is the only option left in some cases. Now I admit mistakes can be made. But mistakes can also be made in car manufacturing, should we now outlaw cars? I believe not.

Quoting the Opinion of the Court Case from Farmer vs Brennan; "Simply because an execution method may result in pain, either by accident or as an inescapable consequence of death, does not establish the sort of 'objectively intolerable risk of harm." Those are the courts words, not my own. If they where my own, it would have read "Death Penalties awesome; I love Merica" Me.

Some people you can't just let live. If you let them live with the other prisoners, this could imply more death. It can cause unneeded damage. That's like the debate on whether I should let the anti christ live, if he were living in my home. I'd kill that sucker before he could walk. Simple as that. Could you live with all those deaths because you couldn't put one sick dog down?
josh1273436

Pro

Yes I realize that serious criminals should not be left in jail but that is why there is solitary confinement. Solitary confinment is explained in the link below.
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
As I was saying, people make mistakes. You said that we shouldn't outlaw cars if there are mistakes in car manufacturing. Then why are we "outlawing" a life of a person just because they made a mistake
JustAlfey

Con

Interesting rebutal... But I rebut your rebut!

Hehehehehe..... Butt...

Solitary Confinement. Solitary confinement is a special form of imprisonment in which a prisoner is isolated from any human contact, though often with the exception of members of prison staff.

An interesting way to deal with prisoners if you asked me. Keep them in a room, by themselves, all alone. Nobody. Solitary. Broken. Defeated. Withering away. Those are some words that I would use to describe your means of torture.

According to my friend Google, yes we are friends (I worship him before tests.), some of the symptoms of Solitary Confinement are " increased sensitivity to stimuli, hallucinations, and other changes in perception, as well as cognitive problems including memory loss, difficulty thinking, and impulsiveness." Wikipedia. The god amongst gods.

Now imagine that for the rest of your natural life. How much will that suck? It would suck a lot. I can't spend 5 minutes on my own; I end up putting pointy things in sockets. Life sentences of that? Kill me now or I'll do it myself, and i'll have to be pretty creative in solitary confinement. So creative, lethal injection doesn't sound like such a bad thing anymore does it?

Now onto your second point, which was a rebuttal to one of my own. You can't outlaw cars because some of them are broken. But if they are broken beyond compare, you scrap em. Same with people. If a car is shown to be capable of blowing up for no apparent reason and their is no means to stopping it, well then sir, you inject that car with Pentobarbital and watch its soul leave this planet for good.
josh1273436

Pro

First off, a car and a person are two completely different things. A car is not alive, a person is alive. But would you rather actually be able to live your life (even in jail) or just be killed and end it? Solitary Confinement might have these symptoms but I think that for someone who has done a horrible crime, wouldn't they just want to live in anyway possible?
JustAlfey

Con

I agree with your first point. People and cars are in fact not the same thing. This was a very astute observation by my opponent in which I did not make the connection. But onto his second point. A life of misery over death. You'd be surprised how many examples would contradict (1) "Suicides kill more inmates than homicide, overdoses, accidents combined" That's a lot of people who kill themselves. That's a lot of people who would rather die then spend another minute in prison. Our brains need stimulation. Did you know most brains suffer from a case of Thaasophobia? This scientifically means a fear of boredom. Even dogs have this fear. We where evolved with that trait. The trait that contained the requirement to socialize. Without it, we would have disappeared along time ago; possibly.

Peter Toohey's 'Boredom: A lively History' Quotes Norman Doidge's findings. "Nothing Speeds Brain atrophy more than being immobilized in the same environment: the monotony undermines our dopamine and attentional systems crucial to maintaining brain plasticity."

In order to avoid a lack of stimulation, our brain will even try to make up its own stimulation. This is what is known as Hallucinations. These can be induced in almost anyones brain if there isn't enough stimulation around. An example of this is the ganzfeld effect. When exposed to random noise while being deprived of all other senses, the brain freaks out. It begins to create hallucinations.

When deprived of mental stimulation, the brain goes through fazes that begin with boredom, but when left unchecked, can become worse. It's a well known phenomenon which has been documented to animals confined to cages on their own for long periods of time. In a horrific case, this occurred to a human child named Genie. She became one of the most abnormal cases of child psychology. He father was abusive and delusional. He sought to isolate his family from the outside world as best as he could. He confined Genie to a room with only two blacked out windows for the first thirteen years of her life. He often tied her to a toilet chair and never fed her non solid food. When authorities finally found her, she had not acquired a language and was incapable of speech at the time. She was at the mental age of an eighteen month old child. She was extensively studied and became a staple for psychology courses.

In the Bureau the most time spent denied social contact is held and still being held by Thomas Silverstein. Considered overly dangerous, he has been kept in solitude since 1983.

The recorded effects of Solitary confinement are (2)
. Visual and Auditory Hallucinations.
. Hypersensitivity to noise and touche.
. Insomnia and Paranoia.
. Uncontrollable of Feeling rage and Fear.
. Distortion of Time and Perception.
. Increased risk of Suicide.
. PTSD.

My grandfather suffered from PTSD after serving time in Vietnam. He killed himself when I was 12.

All horrible symptoms I wouldn't risk upon my most hated advisories. I would prefer to be water boarded. Having personally experienced loneliness, I can tell you that it is in no way a good thing.

When I was in High School. I was invisible, not only to my School, but to my family. It got to the point in which I would steal things and when I got caught, I would be happy. Someone would notice me. I had a relationship now; even if that relationship was a negative on.

I would find myself in my room, slashing my wrists. The pain felt almost pleasurable. It was when I was allowed to feel something. I wanted to feel something, because for the longest time, I couldn't feel anything. It got to the point where I took my dad's gun and placed it to my head.

I may be alive today, but I didn't want to be. I wanted to die. Anything was better then being alone for so long. Now imagine something even worse; for the rest of your life. Would you really think that is a possible alternative over the death penalty? When it has shown only negative results and made people worse then when they started. Broken and defeated.

Would you kill another mans humanity because you didn't want to kill him yourself? Just keep him alive and at some point be forced to feed him through a tube because your morality contradicted killing him? I hope this never is the case and Solitary confinement isn't going to be its own form of containment in prisons. That would be over the line. Just think about that.

Cite
http://usnews.nbcnews.com... (1)

https://afsc.org... (2)
josh1273436

Pro

josh1273436 forfeited this round.
Posted by Maria_Magalhaes 3 years ago
Maria_Magalhaes
Hahah :) josh1273436 completely saved the debate! I'm loving his arguments! But JustAlfey is still lacking some wording skills... (wording skill: the ability of disposing words in interesting ways, so they can make sense when read as an all)
Posted by josh1273436 3 years ago
josh1273436
ok let's go
Posted by JustAlfey 3 years ago
JustAlfey
Lets just roll with It. I am now for the Death Penalty and Shall try my best to defend it somehow. It shall be a challenge and should be some fun. Your next comment can just be Gibberish and well use the next three debate slots for actual debating. Sound like a plan?
Posted by josh1273436 3 years ago
josh1273436
We could just write gibberish and ignore it
Posted by JustAlfey 3 years ago
JustAlfey
This guys an idiot. Who Cons their own opinion.... Hehehehe.... How do you turn the debate off?
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 3 years ago
MyDinosaurHands
Basically you've contradicted yourself. To spare yourself a loss, I recommend canceling this debate before somebody takes advantage of your poor wording.
Posted by Maria_Magalhaes 3 years ago
Maria_Magalhaes
I just want to point out that you asked if the death penalty should be abolished and you took the con position, which leads to believe that you're against it to be abolished...
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 3 years ago
MyDinosaurHands
As 'Con' you are supposed to be against the title.