georgecostanza
RespectfullyDisagree

Should the Drinking age be lowered?

georgecostanza

Con

I will be arguing that the drinking age should in fact remain at 21 and not be lowered to 18. My opponent will be arguing for it.
Round 1 is acceptance. :)
RespectfullyDisagree

Pro

I gladly accept my opponents challenge. I would just like to clarify if we are restricted to lowering the drinking age across the entire country (as it is a Federal law) or can we argue for the law to be changed in certain states only? I'll turn it over to my opponent now, as I look for to his arguements.
georgecostanza

Con

I would just like to thank my opponent for accepting my challenge. For my opponents clarification, it's on a national scale.

There are many reasons to keep the drinking age at 21 (Urls for citations will be posted at the bottom of the argument):

1.) According to Heathland, people that drank alcohol under the age of 21 recieved higher rates of drug and alcohol problems. So if you lower the drinking age, your saying its ok that you raise the drug and alcohol problems.

2.) Studies have shown that more teens drink alcohol than smoke or use drugs. This time by lowering it, you are giving them permission to use a drug, not to mention what it does to the brain at a younger age (look below at point 4)

3.) Children that have faced hardships ( a divorce in the family, a death in the family, physical abuse, etc.), have an increase chance of drinking at a young age. So why lower it and make it easier for them to get their hands on what will hurt them furthermore?

4.) "CEREBRAL CORTEX—Alcohol slows down the cerebral cortex as it works with information from a person's senses.
CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM—When a person thinks of something he wants his body to do, the central nervous system—the brain and the spinal cord—sends a signal to that part of the body. Alcohol slows down the central nervous system, making the person think, speak, and move slower.
FRONTAL LOBES—The brain's frontal lobes are important for planning, forming ideas, making decisions, and using self-control.
When alcohol affects the frontal lobes of the brain, a person may find it hard to control his or her emotions and urges. The person may act without thinking or may even become violent.
Drinking alcohol over a long period of time can damage the frontal lobes forever.
HIPPOCAMPUS—The hippocampus is the part of the brain where memories are made.
When alcohol reaches the hippocampus, a person may have trouble remembering something he or she just learned, such as a name or a phone number. This can happen after just one or two drinks.
Drinking a lot of alcohol quickly can cause a blackout—not being able to remember entire events, such as what he or she did last night.
If alcohol damages the hippocampus, a person may find it hard to learn and to hold on to knowledge.
CEREBELLUM—The cerebellum is important for coordination, thoughts, and awareness. A person may have trouble with these skills when alcohol enters the cerebellum. After drinking alcohol, a person's hands may be so shaky that they can't touch or grab things normally, and they may lose their balance and fall.
HYPOTHALAMUS—The hypothalamus is a small part of the brain that does an amazing number of the body's housekeeping chores. Alcohol upsets the work of the hypothalamus. After a person drinks alcohol, blood pressure, hunger, thirst, and the urge to urinate increase while body temperature and heart rate decrease.
MEDULLA—The medulla controls the body's automatic actions, such as a person's heartbeat. It also keeps the body at the right temperature. Alcohol actually chills the body. Drinking a lot of alcohol outdoors in cold weather can cause a person's body temperature to fall below normal. This dangerous condition is called hypothermia." says the too smart to start program. (if you want to see where they got this info, its listed at the bottom of the page in which i found this)
5.) Alcohol ranks fourth on a study for the most addictive substances, heroine, cocaine, and Nicotine being the top three... and you want us to lower the drinking age to once again, make it easier for teens to get their hands on yet another drug?... OK (sarcastic)
RespectfullyDisagree

Pro

RespectfullyDisagree forfeited this round.
georgecostanza

Con

georgecostanza forfeited this round.
RespectfullyDisagree

Pro

georgecostanza

Con

georgecostanza forfeited this round.
RespectfullyDisagree

Pro

georgecostanza

Con

georgecostanza forfeited this round.
RespectfullyDisagree

Pro