kawaiidesu97
lw38

Should the ESRB be more strictly enforced and/or re-evaluated?

Started: 9/25/2014 Category: Games

kawaiidesu97

Con

As I am an avid gamer, I will be taking the con side. I believe that video games do not make a person violent nor can they be seen as culprits for a crime. I believe that while video games desensitize a person they do not recreate the person. Therefore, to someone who might say that the rating system does need to be re-evaluated, I would say that the rating system is fine. I believe we should look at the environment around the kid and/or the parents who buy these games for their kid as a way around the system they persist in criticizing.
lw38

Pro

As an somewhat avid gamer, I agree with the notion that the ESRB should be more strictly enforced. This younger generation that is exposed to petrifying amounts of violence on a daily basis, and the fact that children can play games re-enacting wars and killing people is sickening to me. It only tells them that "Hey this is a normal occurrence in our society today, so it is okay to act like these criminals on these games." I have a 9 year old brother, and all he ever talks about is Grand Theft Auto. I sit there with a disappointed and worried look on my face as I watch him aimlessly rob and kill pedestrians. When I was his age, I loved video games, and never had any game rated over E for my PlayStation One. The fondness I had for such games as Crash Bandicoot would always put me in a good mood. But now I feel like video games and their developers almost relish the violence and gore, because it gets them more money, and it happens to be a societal issue in today's world. Having said that, the rating system is very flawed in my eyes. How can you give only a Mature rating to a game that shows exposed breasts and has more curse words than most Eminem songs? These people need to rethink how a game's content can have an effect on young minds, and rather than worry about money, they have to re-evaluate what exactly is going on in these games and fit them to a rating that is more realistic.
kawaiidesu97

Con

I can agree with you that the rating system is flawed, but to be redone is further than necessary. For instance, in the case of your cousin, I don't mean to pry but may I ask how he obtained the game? Even I, before the age of 17 bought games like grand theft auto or Saints Row through the permission of my parents. I could suggest maybe that game sellers go over the product with the customer, but it should be standard that parents should look through what they're buying for their child. I see no importance in the changing of the ESRB.
lw38

Pro

He obtained the game from one of his friends. I agree that the parents should take more responsibility in knowing what they are buying for their kids, but still I believe that ratings should be re evaluated. If I remember correctly there used to be an AO rating for adults only. It states that 18 year olds and up can buy these games. However, these games can no longer be released on consoles, meaning PC is the way to play them. I believe they should be discontinued altogether, because by the looks of the games on the adults only list, they are basically porn in a video game. PC companies don't make money off of video games like they used to, and it wouldn't hurt them a bit to discontinue the few AO games left.
kawaiidesu97

Con

It's true, that the Adults Only category is a majority of sexual content, but to be disbanded is not an ideal concept. To each his own. If someone wants to make a sexy game, let them. However, the rating is in place. The ratings are set there, so there isn't a need to have them re-evaluated. At the age of eighteen, the age of becoming an adult, one is set to not only watch porn, but participate in it. So, the fact that there is a pornographic video game exclusive to adults does not provide sufficient reasoning to rebuild the rating system. Also, there is a thin, yet noticeable line between Mature and Adults Only. This being said, some games are not in the right category. Grand Theft Auto 5, certainly should not have been Mature, with torture scenes, such freedom to kill all and when as you please, and sexual themes/nudity. However, there isn't a need for a new separate category between Mature and Adults Only. So where can we place it? It can't fall in Adult's Only, as it's not severe enough. I don't think the issue is the ratings. As repetitive as it sounds, it's the people who misinterpret the ratings. Mature back then isn't what Mature is now. From 2002-2004 multiple new content descriptors were added to the ESRB. Nudity, partial nudity, reference to drugs, reference to alcohol, intense violence, sexual violence. I think that people would rather compare games to games instead of reading and reviewing the actual content. For instance, I am familiar with a few friends and parents of friends who proceed to think that all M rated games are similar to Call of Duty, and Medal of Honor, so they proceed to imagine that as the face of M rated games. If you sift through the content descriptors on the back you'll see what you're buying and that's the issue, is that people are not precise about their actions so instead they seek to blame what they overlook.
lw38

Pro

I believe that the adults only rating is pretty much obsolete at this point. Not many people play games of that variety, and I don't recall seeing any in game stores. I believe there is no need to have this rating whatsoever. If you're the developers of grand theft auto, I'm sure you could figure out a way to make the game rated teen. I am sure the sales of teenagers would skyrocket because there definitely are parents who are strict about the very concept of following rating systems to a tee. At the end of the day, changing ratings on numerous video games would be a money grab if nothing else, so why not water every M game down to T? It would surely increase profit as well as popularity. Your morals may be different than mine, but kids playing video games should not be exposed to that type of trash at such a young age, and the ESRB should be conscious about that also.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
kawaiidesu97lw38Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con acknowledged flaws, but asserted no need for change. Pro asserted flaws, and...well, didn't really propose a solution. I'm nulling this vote because I just didn't see a coherent line of argumentation either for or against the motion. This was more a conversation about the various aspects of the ESRB.