Progressivist
TheKINGOFALLDEBATES

Should the KKK be able to adopt a highway?

Progressivist

Pro

I'm even a little surprised by my side on this debate, but let's get on with it.

Should the KKK be able to 'adopt a highway'?
In other words, should the federal or state government be able to limit the cultural freedoms of some groups to be able to contribute to society in a positive way (a step forward) simply because they have a bad/hateful opinion?

What if an LGBT group was denied this by the state of Texas? Or a pro-gun control group? Or etcetera? If all they're doing is cleaning, who are we to discriminate?

As long as they don't plan on vocalizing their racist opinions on the highway, why not just rename the highway in question MLK highway (cause it's punny) and let them clean it?
TheKINGOFALLDEBATES

Con

Yes,but all of the others groups weren't as bad as the KKK. The KKK main purpose was to impose hatred to show that their race was supreme . It supports racism. The public would not want to drive across KKK boulevard everyday.
Progressivist

Pro

Progressivist forfeited this round.
TheKINGOFALLDEBATES

Con

TheKINGOFALLDEBATES forfeited this round.
Progressivist

Pro

Progressivist forfeited this round.
TheKINGOFALLDEBATES

Con

Posted by Maria_Magalhaes 3 years ago
Maria_Magalhaes
I would like to participate in this debate, but I came to late : (
Anyhow! this is what i think:
One thing is ignoring the existence of a group with certain ideologies, other thing is working with it.

I understand, due to certain human and american rights, that the government can't eradicate a group of people just because of their history, opinions and beliefs. But it would be outrageous for the government to have any kind of affiliation with a group, such as the KKK. They are not comparable with LGBT or a pro-gun control group... a comparison with Al Qaeda would be much more reasonable!

I don't want to get personal, but pretend a group of people, let's call them HBO (Hate it Because it's Old), would come to your town and kill everyone that's over 40 years old. After a few years, a group with the same name and same beliefs and ideologies comes back to your town. They are more friendly now and they don't try to kill anyone, they are just looking for a space to rent to give some parties. You happen to have a place for them... would you rent it to them? Even if they pay you well and the money from the parties is for helping poor children in need?

Just the remaining existence of such a group is terrible for the United States. But bestowing them with public property, even if it's just for maintenance, would be conceding their practices and ideologies.

I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I also believe that the government has the obligation of establishing moral grounds. And due to this obligation, it can't enable KKK to adopt a highway or any other public property.
Posted by Theunkown 3 years ago
Theunkown
so is con saying that the US Gov should limit cultural freedoms of organizations like the kkk?
or is it the opposite?
sorry its hard to understand
Posted by Progressivist 3 years ago
Progressivist
The reason I posted this was because back in August there was a lot of controversy about a KKK group being able to adopt part of a highway.

A lot of people demanded their rights to the highway be removed.
http://www.cnn.com...
Posted by black_squirrel 3 years ago
black_squirrel
I agree with the ACLU on this: PRO. So sorry, no debate here.