Shamoo2
Mattyh2

Should the NFL add new teams?

Mattyh2
Started: 3/15/2016 Category: Sports

Shamoo2

Pro

I believe that if the NFL added new teams then the season would be a lot longer, better post season, and longer regular season.
Mattyh2

Con

I absolutely do not believe the NFL needs any more teams. A professional football schedule is already brutal enough and adding more games would lead to a much higher risk for injury.
Shamoo2

Pro

If we add more teams I feel then we can get a longer season out of it. As we all know the NFL season is to short. It's season is shorter than any other sport. Adding more teams will increase the number of games in the season. Think about this as well if we add more teams then we could possibly have a longer post season. We could increase the number of teams that get to go to the playoffs. One more thing injuries don't matter. My opponent stated that And I quote " would lead to a much higher risk for injury." Well that's not true see the thing is even now players will get injured so what is different about it now then it would be if we added more teams. I have a question for my opponent. If we added more teams how would it increase the risk of injury?
Mattyh2

Con

The NFL does not need a longer season. There's a reason they have a shorter season than other professional sports. Playing professional football is extremely taxing on the body. Increasing the number of games would increase the stress placed on the bodies of players which would in turn raise the amount of injuries. The more games a player plays in, the higher chance he has of injuring himself. Fans who talk about making the season longer and adding more games are only thinking about their entertainment and not the safety and health of the players.
Shamoo2

Pro

Listen, when a player joins the NFL they know they are going to get hurt. Its the risk they take if they play they are basically saying I know I can get hurt. What stress would they feel when playing? I don't think they are stressed I think they are worried about losing a game. Plus here is the thing about sports they make sure players are protected in football. They wear pads and helmets. I'm not saying they can't get hurt but its a really low risk. So in conclusion, I say the NFL should add more teams because it would make the season longer, more teams could go to the playoffs, and finally my question for my opponent. If you think fans only care about entertainment then why is the NFL thinking about adding more teams.
Mattyh2

Con

I said physical stress on their bodies. I never mentioned anything about the stress they may or may not feel mentally. You think it's really low risk for a player to get hurt in football? Players get hurt every single game. You said yourself that they know this going in. So how can you turn around and say it's low risk? Not to mention all the concussion controversy. To answer your question, the NFL is thinking about adding more teams because all they care about is money. Most players do not want a longer season. So in conclusion, I am against the NFL adding more teams in this scenario because the increased length of the season leads to more chances for injury, whether they be minor or serious. 16 games in 17 weeks is extremely demanding for players, not to mention the ones that have to play more in the playoffs. There's no reason to add even more on to that.
Vote Placed by JayShay 1 year ago
JayShay
Shamoo2Mattyh2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I award points to Con for arguments. Con's main objection to adding more teams to the NFL and making the season longer was the increased risk of injury. I do not believe Pro was able to provide sufficient reason to add more teams which overruled the increased risk of injuries. Pro stated "I'm not saying [football players] can't get hurt but its a really low risk." This is simply not true, as Con pointed out. It seems that every game contains a couple injuries, whether major or minor in nature. Both sides were respectful, so conduct is tied. Spelling and grammar was never an issue on either side, ergo another tie. I would have liked to see some sources from both sides regarding football injuries; some stats would have been nice. Since neither side used any, it remains tied. Seeing that both debaters are new to the site (welcome!), I highly encourage them to utilize (credible) sources in future debates; they can only help your case and may earn you more points during the voting period