debatemaster10
manofrose

Should the NFL change their rule about tackles above the neck?

Started: 9/17/2013 Category: Sports

debatemaster10

Pro

The NFL is a huge sports company that makes millions, possibly billions of dollars a year. However, they have too many players getting hurt because of hard hits above the neck. The NFL should change their rules with tackles above the neck because if this rule is enforced to not allow tackles above the head, injuries, such as, concussions would be less frequent, and there would be less confrontations on the field.
manofrose

Con

Tackles above the neck can only include the head some I'm not sure where you are going with this argument. Football is a contact sport, that will never change. I agree with the rules and regulations that the NFL have recently implemented and I think it is more then fair to keep those rules. Refs sadly cannot control a players actions, the only thing that can govern them is the rules and fines (which I'm pretty sure not most of them care about). Football would not be the same without the hard initiation of contact that is just how it is. Coaches most likely encourage hard hits, for there is a flair of some sort that is created when doing so. I think players right now maintain that flair that makes the NFL so interesting to watch, so until a study comes out to disapprove of contact all together, I am fine with the rules and laws and believe they should be kept.
debatemaster10

Pro

With the rules and regulations the way they are, it's not really that fair. Refs won't know if the hit was intentional or not. However, with further review after the situation, there can be a change in the law. If hits above the neck continue to happen, you could see players, key and top players, leave. For example, look at what happened to Bret Farve. He got hit above the neck more than twice in a game, and the refs never called it, even though that it was against the rule. What I'm saying is, the more this rule is implemented in this game, the more players we could see leave the game, which would end up making the game as exciting as there is.
manofrose

Con

I'm sorry so you're saying it would be nice to see player's leave the NFL because they can't hit properly? I'm pretty sure many NFL fans are thinking "Wow that is a big hit" before they are thinking "What a monster, they should be banned from the league". I think football is doing fine in general with new rules they've implemented due to the fact that you truly see no one complaining anymore. If you could specify exactly what you mean by implementing these new specific rules then I would be happy to understand your argument but none of your points are really making sense, please specify on what you mean.
debatemaster10

Pro

debatemaster10 forfeited this round.