Kytax
1harderthanyouthink

Should the NFL move a team to London?

Kytax
Started: 3/1/2014 Category: Sports

Kytax

Pro

Hello there, On this debate we will be discussing: Whether or not the NFL should Move a team to London, England. Believe it or not the NFL has been considering going international and moving a team to London. Source: http://espn.go.com...
I will be arguing why I believe the NFL should move a Franchise to London. Con, will say why they think the NFL should just stay in the USA.

Rules:
Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals
1harderthanyouthink

Con

I accept the challenge and look forward to debating this topic. I do not think London should have an NFL team.
Kytax

Pro

Thank you for accepting my challenge,

Now, the reason I believe the NFL should move a franchise to London is for the following reasons. Firstly I believe it's about time that the NFL goes International, Football is my favorite sport. Secondly, many would argue that barely any one in London would watch their Franchise. I can safely deny that as ALL NFL London games for the 2014 season have already been sold out. While the super bowl only happened a month ago!!! [1] It must also be noted that the NFL is becoming super popular in the UK. [2] Thirdly, Many would argue that it would take too much time for an American team to get to London or Vice versa, However, I can safely deny this argument. Now, let's say the Giants played against a London Franchise, it would only take them 8 hours to arrive on plane. [2] Besides you must note that the NFL does play games in London every season, All games in London tend to be sold out, as stated in my original argument.

[1]http://www.theguardian.com...
[2] http://www.westerneye.net...
[3]http://www.tripit.com...
1harderthanyouthink

Con

I accept this debate. I will argue that the NFL should not have a team in London.
Kytax

Pro

Kytax forfeited this round.
1harderthanyouthink

Con

End debate.
Posted by whiteflame 9 months ago
whiteflame
Not at liberty to say.
Posted by 1harderthanyouthink 9 months ago
1harderthanyouthink
Uhh...what? Who reported a vote?
Posted by whiteflame 9 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: birdlandmemories// Mod action: NOT Removed<

5 points to Pro (Arguments, Sources), 1 point to Con (Conduct). Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to con for the forfeit. Con never argued anything which leaves pro's arguments standing. He also used sources.

[*Reason for non-removal*] The voting period on this debate ended over 2 years ago, and thus it is well beyond the statute of limitations for vote moderation.
************************************************************************
Posted by 1harderthanyouthink 3 years ago
1harderthanyouthink
From New York to London, there is a +5 hour time difference. Because of this time difference, an eastern time some team may have to fly at 6-8 PM to arrive in London at about 9-11 AM. This will throw off sleep patterns, and sleep is known to be a huge part of an athlete's success [1].

And while this is a scientific problem, many NFL players are strongly opposing a London franchise. Concerns about families and travel times come up. One player even said he'd retire before playing for a London team [2].

Back to time differences: a London team would have to travel 8 games to the US. Since one of the quickest flights from London-US is London to New York, there would be over 64 hours of travel if they played only New York teams on the road. But they don't: they have 3 in-division road games, and 5 out-of division road games. They would have to play teams as far as Seattle, which would add on a few more hours. This is problematic due to sleep being necessary: and most people are terrible at sleeping on planes (even without a crying baby).
So as you see, the idea of a team in London is not good because of a simple thing: sleep, and travel times. Even if they sell out every game, and win a Super Bowl, some players wouldn't consider it.

[1] http://breakingmuscle.com...
[2] http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...
1harderthanyouthink
Ok
Posted by Kytax 3 years ago
Kytax
You can post you're argument here. It's only fair
1harderthanyouthink
Wow I f***ed up. I saw "we are waiting for Kytax to post his argument for round #3 and I thought "f***." I'd also post another version of this and we can just copy/paste the rounds posted already (except for that mess-up). You can rebut anything, this debate cannot be fair.
1harderthanyouthink
I honestly thought we never started round 2
1harderthanyouthink
F*** I thought it was round 1. I can post an argument in the comments for you to rebut if you'd like.
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
Kytax1harderthanyouthinkTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to con for the forfeit. Con never argued anything which leaves pro's arguments standing. He also used sources.