lovedebating
atoy120

Should the National Driving Age Be Taken Away?

atoy120
Started: 3/15/2014 Category: Cars

lovedebating

Con

There are many debates on whether or not the driving age should be slightly raised or slightly lowered. But what if it was completely taken away? Teenagers would be able to drive when their parents felt they were responsible enough, rather than the government deciding that for them. They would learn to be responsible and cautious at a younger age, which will help these teens later in their life.
On the other side, however, what if a, say, 12 year-old was able to pass the licence test, but he was not mature enough to realize that he is in reality, and that cars can be dangerous? He could be used to go-karts, and might not heed the speed limit or traffic lights.
What is your opinion on this debate? Should the driving age be done away with or stay the same?
atoy120

Pro

There is no national driving age, the states decide it. But would seriously you want a four year old driving a car?
lovedebating

Con

A young child would NOT be able to reach the pedal until he/she was at least 13 years old, so they would not be able to drive until a later age anyway
atoy120

Pro

I was able to reach it when I was 9, I didn't drive it or anything, but still...
Posted by bat9581 2 years ago
bat9581
Having someone under a certain age drive near you you could say that's invading your safety rights.
Posted by dmussi12 3 years ago
dmussi12
There is no national driving age in the US (where I'm assuming you're from), it varies from state to state.
Posted by lovedebating 3 years ago
lovedebating
I would like this information for a current debate--to find out both sides. I want to be prepared for what the negative side may use as their points :). Please add your opinion!
Posted by Jabuticaba 3 years ago
Jabuticaba
By the way, if you are ever in a debate, never give arguments to the opposing side. You gave examples on why it would be a good idea. You shouldn't do that.
Posted by lovedebating 3 years ago
lovedebating
Very true! I will edit it :)
Posted by Jabuticaba 3 years ago
Jabuticaba
A 10 year old can't even reach the gas pedal, or see over the windsheild.
Vote Placed by Defro 3 years ago
Defro
lovedebatingatoy120Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct is tied because both Pro and Con chose the wrong side for this debate. Con argued that the Driving Age should be taken away, so Con should be taking the position of Pro, and vice versa. Arguments go to Pro because Pro showed that Con provided false information; there is no National Driving Age. It is determined by state. Con argued that children under 13 could not reach the pedal, yet Pro refuted this again by stating that he could reach it at age 9.
Vote Placed by Dakota-Hiltzman 3 years ago
Dakota-Hiltzman
lovedebatingatoy120Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's first round doesn't establish much as she argues both sides of the resolution. I like the idea of letting parents decide when their child is responsible enough to drive, but the whole 12-year-old not realizing what he's doing argument nullifies any impacts she was gaining. Also, the debaters are arguing the wrong sides. Con makes Pro arguments and Pro makes con arguments. I end up voting for atoy120 as s/he shows me we could potentially have 9-year-olds running around on the road.
Vote Placed by WilliamsP 3 years ago
WilliamsP
lovedebatingatoy120Tied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate is truly hard to vote on. After having read the debate numerous times, I was still confused. The first vote will be given to Con. Before I read the debate, I assumed she would be taking the stance I support. But after having read it, the vote turned into a tie for I felt that neither candidate made convincing arguments. Conduct, spelling and grammar, and reliable sources are identical for both debaters. There were no sources listed at all and the spelling and grammar was okay. Neither was perfect, but both had an identical vocabulary. I will give the "convincing arguments" points to Con due to her having made longer arguments in general.