xoxo
Cody_Franklin

Should the Philippines be governed with an iron fist?

xoxo

Pro

the philippines should be governed with an iron fist because the people of the philippines are undisciplined and need stricter control.
Cody_Franklin

Con

Alrighty then, just for laughs, I had to accept this debate. But, to be nice, I won't pull semantics, as much as I really want to.

Now, I'm assuming that all terms are pretty self-evident, so I'm just going to refute my opponent's opening argument.

From what I've constructed, her syllogism looks something like this.

1. The people of the Philippines are undisciplined.
2. All undisciplined people need to be ruled over by a very oppressive government.
3. Therefore, the people of the Philippines need to be ruled over by an oppressive government (an "iron fist").

I suppose I'll attack both premises, and then the conclusion.

Premise 1: The people of the Philippines are undisciplined.

a. My opponent has failed to clarify what 'undisciplined' refers to, and so we have no explication of the grounds upon which we have a moral obligation to have an oppressive regime established in the Philippines; thus, since her argument is entirely unclear, it ought to be disregarded outright.

b. What we as Western culture may perceive as 'undisciplined' or 'unrefined' may simply be a different type of culture than our own; I would assert that we have no right to force our own ideals, morals, and customs upon another country, simply because we do not agree with theirs; a nation's culture is its private business, and is completely that nation's decision.

c. Besides being extremely vague on a definition of unclear, my opponent has provided little else but an unwarranted assertion to prove that the people of the Philippines are, in fact, undisciplined; I would contend that, as opposed to undisciplined, the people of the Philippines are merely diverse [http://en.wikipedia.org...]. Besides Filipinos, there are many different ethnic and cultural groups that inhabit the Philippines' 7,107 different islands; among these different peoples, there are also a number of different religious minorities as well, such as Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism. My opponent is clearly in the wrong here when she claims that the people of the Philippines are undisciplined, as diversity is a far cry from a lack of discipline.

Premise 2: All undisciplined people need to be ruled over by a very oppressive government.

a. There also is no support for this premise, which was implied in my opponent's opening "argument"; different governments work for different cultures; forcing one type of government onto a nation or a group of people is bound to cause problems, such as is the case with the United States' attempted democratization of Iraq and other countries; this is magnified by the fact that we are not forcing a government of the people onto the Philippines, but an oppressive authoritarian regime; and, as I've stated, my opponent has not even begun to prove any moral obligation to establish such a government.

Conclusion: Therefore, the people of the Philippines need to be ruled over by an oppressive government (an "iron fist").

a. Premise 1 has been proven to be vague, unwarranted, and outright intolerant of different cultures.

b. Premise 2 has been proven false simply because of my opponent's failure to prove a moral obligation to establish an oppressive authoritarian regime in all countries perceived to be undisciplined.

c. Based on 2 false, unwarranted premises, the conclusion, as a result, must also be incorrect.

Nothing further, I suppose. Vote Con.
xoxo

Pro

xoxo forfeited this round.
Cody_Franklin

Con

A lot of my opponents have been disappearing, lately; let me just make it clear that I haven't been hiring anyone to 'take care' of them. I do my own dirty wo- I mean, I'm sure that she'll be back in Round 3... Vote Con. :)
xoxo

Pro

xoxo forfeited this round.
Cody_Franklin

Con

I think that my opponent may have had an 'accident'. Extend my arguments from Round 1, and vote Con.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
Conduct: Con (Forfeits)
S/G: Con
Arguments: Con, for obvious reasons.
Sources: Tied - One link to Wikipedia simply wasn't enough.
Posted by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
So... tempted... to... use... SEMANTICS.

I think I'll hold off though. xoxo is quite pathetic.
Vote Placed by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
xoxoCody_FranklinTied
Vote Placed by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
xoxoCody_FranklinTied