Should the Pledge of Allegiance be said daily in public schools? (US)

This is a simple discussion. Should the Pledge of Allegiance be said daily in the public school system?

I stand for the Con. My reasoning is that the Pledge, now said every day by high school students, is losing meaning among the youth. Constant exposure has caused a dulling of the patriotic feeling a citizen should have. Even yesterday, a student in my classroom chose to talk to the girl next to him instead of recite the Pledge. Even when they are reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, they mumble their way through the lines and hurriedly sit down when it is finished. The Pledge is supposed to instill patriotic fervor in the youth, but now it seems to do the opposite. They do not care for the flag or for the great nation it stands for. Young men and women die for that flag every week. It is a matter of honor to be able to stand and swear oneself in allegiance to the flag. However, this thought is lost to the younger generation. Instead, they see the Pledge of Allegiance as something that interrupts their day.

I move for the solution that the Pledge of Allegiance be said just once a week, along with a brief moment of silence for the fallen. I stand by the hypothesis that reduced exposure will renew the sacred nature of the Pledge in the eyes of the youth. Our nation may need to call upon the younger generations if we are thrust into a national crisis. We do not want to find them lacking in patriotism and apathetic to their country's needs if we do.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The pledge of allegiance was created for the purpose of unifying citizens under one flag and nation. This creed states in short words what we as a nation strive to defend and preserve. For this reason this or the national anthem are recited/played at gatherings. Now I will delve into the reasons that I, personally believe strongly. I am a high school student here in the United States. I agree with your statements about the lack of patriotism and regard for our pledge of allegiance. This is a huge shame. For me, as I recite this pledge I reflect on those words, they put me in my mindset for the day. This mindset I speak of is a mindset that I will put forth my best effort and do everything I do for two main reasons. One reason is that I believe that I am fortunate to be in this country receiving an education so I should make the most of it, and the second I love my country. I am proud of this nation and believe in every word of that pledge. It propels me forward to my dream of being an air force pilot. Now, this is obviously my personal testimony of why I want the pledge to be recited every day. This is coming from a high school student, but admittedly a biased one for I have a great commitment to this nation.

All this being said, your statement about the apparent lack of meaning the pledge has for students is still sadly true for the majority of students. However, where you are wrong is saying that what makes my generation lack the patriotism and overall regard for the pledge is that we say the pledge so often. I believe the actual reason is exactly the opposite. The real problem is what we have here, The United States of America, is being taken for granted. It DISGUSTS me when people are too busy talking about that hot girl or that meaningless relationship between the high school hotties during our pledge. Our people care more about social media than they do about the world around them. People are making the world revolve around them more and more and this is a societal problem. There was a time when people said this pledge every day with emphasis and meaning, but those days are behind us.

In the past patriotism was essential. In the days after the revolutionary war, it was the daily struggle of the average citizen to help propel his nation onto the world stage. During the civil war citizens persevered to work harder to provide the arms for their soldiers, In the world wars we fought against the axis of evil in a war that we only won based on our populous producing enough to overpower the axis powers. Finally, in the cold war our very ideology was put to the test and it was the daily battle to prove that our way was the best way. Today we fight a war, but the war we fight in Iraq and Afghanistan is not the patriotic war it began as. At first it was to punish those who struck our nation on 9/11. Now our government, just as they did in Vietnam believes they know more about military strategy than the military and is cowardly pulling out of the war leaving the land to ISIS.

Now you ask why I took you through all of this? I want to prove a point. Our country is lacking patriotism, not solely, but majorly because of our new status in the world. We won, we are number 1 in the world. Our ancestors patriotism put us here and now my generation takes it for granted. This is the real reason for our lack of wanting to recite the pledge. This is obviously my opinion, but I do not see any other reason. The pledge lost meaning not because it is imposed upon students who are bored of it, but because they don"t care about their country or the world outside of their small bubble. We won the war of ideologies and now lead the free world, but now have sunk into a hibernation where a select few stand to fight for their nation. An era where a select few want to propel us further. I will tell you this, our nation is the best in the world, the last great superpower. However, if that pledge does not have meaning to our population the solution is not to get rid of it but to wake up the people. We need real patriots in our politics. We need a Lincoln, a Reagan, or a Jefferson to lead us further into the future and make sure we stay on top. If not other countries who have patriotism will force us to fight again. I do not believe it takes a crisis to bring our patriotism back, but it might take that.

God bless America and those who died for this great nation.
Let their great battles for freedom never be in vain.

Thank you for responding, Con. I also would like to reach out and thank you in advance for your service.

My rebuttal is simple:
Most teenagers don't care for politics, as proven by voter turnout in the recent decades. Introducing a revolutionary leader to unite the masses would not catch their attention. The only reason the younger generation was captivated by the Obama administration was the evident historical significance of his election. The majority of teenagers do not follow policy changes, instead they choose to follow celebrities' Twitter feeds and Instagram accounts. They will not be roused out of their intellectual slumber by a man behind a podium. It is impossible to put the task reawakening our nation on the shoulders of one man.

A crisis will not cause them to listen. At this point in the degradation of our society, it would force them into a deeper, self-inflicted wallow of self-pity and inactivity. There would be no uprising or call to arms. The mainstream mass of youth would rather be on their couch snapping selfies than outside aiding the community. A crisis is a situation in which we need people who are prepared to step up and help, not a situation that would teach people the reasoning behind motivation.

I move for the amended solution that the Pledge of Allegiance be said just once a week with a brief moment of silence for the fallen, and that students be required to take a patriotism class that teaches them about our nation and the reasons behind patriotic thought.

You are very correct in saying most teenagers do not care for politics and would rather be following a celebrity on twitter than watch the news. However, I will ask how does someone get excited about a celebrity? Typically the celebrity is attractive or has a hit song or some other thing has put them in the focus of teen America. So we must do the same for politics, news, and the world outside social media. You learn to like someone or something by exposure to it not by turning your back on it. This is why young people do not participate in politics they turn their back on it. Now if you are trying to get someone interested in politics what will work better? Giving them exposure to politics or letting them turn their back on it and go back to social media. The same goes for the pledge of allegiance. You will not captivate someone by giving them less exposure to it. If given a moment of silence to reflect on our nation students will use it to cram for a test or finish the homework before a class.

Lessening the amount you do something does not make anyone want to do it more often. If you give a kid ice cream once a week the kid will want it more than once week (pardon my bad analogy). Only difference is politics is like an onion in that it takes a lot to get into it and understand everything that is going on in our nation. Like I said though kids won't peal back the layers unless they get more exposure. If anything we need to do something more or change something for the better to captivate people every morning in school. Bottom line I don"t believe giving someone less of something they already don't care about will make them want to do it anymore.

Also about a crisis making someone want to participate in politics I will give you a couple of examples of this. After Pearl Harbor the Japanese wanted us to sign a peace treaty in fear. The exact opposite happened we declared war and our populous was livid and wanted revenge. Now keep in mind back then before the bombing we were very opposed to joining any side of the war and many were in favor of isolationism. Same thing after 9/11. We were livid and wanted revenge. I wasn't that old back then but I have seen videos of the sporting events after 9/11 and the unity after these events is incredible. The USA chants send chills through your body. Anyways these events brought the nation together and focused our attention on getting the people who did the horrific things to us. Now the enthusiasm slowly faded down to the level it is today.

Lastly about you patriotism class. We already do take U.S. History in high school it is required. How would this "patriotism" class stray from learning about our great history. I believe that class should instill patriotism but people look at it the wrong way. I know from personal experience a good teacher who holds good discussions in a social studies/world cultures/history class makes all the difference in how much I will like the class. In fact that"s what made me love history so much way back when.

AdmiralFoxx forfeited this round.

To summarize my debate, I believe that we do have a problem in our country regarding patriotism. Our youth lacks the patriotism and enthusiasm to say the pledge of allegiance. As the Con said, he believes the answer to the problem is to reduce the amount of times kids say the pledge in school. However, I do not believe this will solve any problems purely because it does not make sense that if you get rid of the pledge from the daily routine it will be more meaningful. If you omit the pledge from the daily routine the next step will to omit it from the weekly routine and so on. I do believe the answer is quite the opposite. We must as a nation stress the importance of the pledge daily at school. I think part of the reason kids would rather gossip that say the pledge is because of the lack of relevance it has in their lives. It does not directly effect them so they do not say it. Where they are mistaken is that it does effect them. The men and women who lay down their lives daily to fight for American and worldwide freedom are the people the pledge serves as a creed to. Patriotism does not come by forgetting about it. It comes from pride in a nation and this pride is only instilled into a population when they know what their nation stands on and for. This foundation is the pledge/constitution. If we get rid of this pledge we are choosing to further hide the foundation of our nation.

Thank You.