Flynn1999
Dartauian

Should the Police be pulling you over and giving you a ticket for going 5 over the speed limit?

Dartauian
Started: 5/6/2016 Category: Cars

Flynn1999

Con

I really do not think they should. The police men who are pulling us over for going that little over the speed limit are men and women who have either sat in one spot for too long or are just bored. They need to have a real reason for doing this, we were not speeding enough over to cause any more harm then we would cause if we were going the speed limit. I was pulled over the other night for going 50 in 45, and i got a $50 ticket! There were no other cars around and the only thing i was endangering even the slightest was myself, my car and maybe a random cat that would walk across the road. The whole point of a speed limit is to keep people safe, and i wasn't endangering anyone but myself, which I can do legally. Your thoughts opponent?
Dartauian

Pro

Officers have to show some type of force. Just the littlest bit of slack lets people think its okay. if your not pulled over when it starts it will start to get worse. we as a people are the change they want to see in this world. So if an officer wants to pull u over for going 5 over the speed limit that means he wants u to know u have to follow the rules for everything. How much u wanna bet every time u go down that street you drive that speed limit. he showed force and put fear in you so from know on u follow that speed limit. you can be going over just 5 nut say 10 minutes later you're going 10-15 over the limit. you can never know if u have seen stories about incidents usually a few seconds or a second thought or even just 1 bit of thought could change the whole course of a situation including someones life. so yes police should be pulling you over even if u go 3 over the speed limit.
Flynn1999

Con

You make a good argument, but speaking for myself here I go the same speed almost everywhere I go. If its 45 i go 50. If its 55 i go 60. IF its 70 i go 75. Cops have never pulled me over for going that fast before now. They do have to show force yes, but would you throw a kid out of a public pool for running a little faster then he is supposed to? I feel like they do have a right to stop me for going even 1 over the limit, but the question is should they? Should they pull me over and give me a ticket for going that little over? Oh, and for the record, after he pulled me over i go the same speed i went before which was 50. No more but also no less. I passed that cop today actually and he didn't do a thing this time. He just waved and kept on driving in front of me. The question is "Should they be stopping you for going 5 over" not "Do they have a right to" just for clarification.
Dartauian

Pro

Well to re state the question yes they should. Still you have to show force dont matter what you do. You going that speed limit witch was 45 and you where going 50 is illegal period. So if he pulled u over for that he was right and he should have. He has to meet a requirment of pulling certin people over in a month. Ur still 100% wrong dont matter if ur going 2 over the limit. Thet should be pulling you over because going over it is still breaking the law. Yes he should have. The answer to example of the kid running by the pool, yes i do agree but thats y u where fined $50 as kinda like a warning. U warn the kid to stop running or there will be reprecutions. For every action there is a reaction. Your action, going 5 over the speed limit, the reaction, u getting a ticket and fined $50. Doesnt matter if ur going twenty over the limit you still get pulled over. It isnt about the moral of the cop. Its about the moral of the law and if u should follow it. P.S ( sorry for the typose im doing this from my phone lol 😂😂)
Flynn1999

Con

Your fine! You make a good point with that but i do have one question and this is what's going to determine this debate. It is this: "Why didn't he pull me over again for doing the exact same thing I did the first time?" He is required to pull a certain number of people over a month, but that doesn't mean he should be pulling me over. The guy in front of me was going 50 as well but he never saw him or bothered with that guy. Now I know i was in the back so it was easier to get me but I still think if the police are going to have those laws, they should enforce them 100% of the time. Not only to one person and if they are bored. Police men do that all the time, my uncle is a police man and he has told me he does it too. Part of being a police man, but i just don't think it to be an ethical thing to do. What do you think?
Dartauian

Pro

Dartauian forfeited this round.
Posted by staylore 11 months ago
staylore
You can almost justify everything that is done by the law. Sometimes there is too much scrutiny with the law. We all need some help in the way we manage ourselves and a little tap is okay to make sure we follow what is correct for everyone. This can a call for police to sincerely look at the police performance in the high way.
Posted by Max.Wallace 1 year ago
Max.Wallace
Pro sounds like a son of Kim Jong Un.
Posted by Flynn1999 1 year ago
Flynn1999
I know! While I was pulled over a car sped past us but did the cop do anything about that guy? Nope...
Posted by Vaarka 1 year ago
Vaarka
Where I live, some cops have recently started pulling people for going 46 in a 45. It's funny, b/c they're wasting their time pulling and ticketing someone going one or two mph above the speed limit, when there are a lot of people who are going ten mph over the limit that they should pull instead.
Vote Placed by Hey_its_Laurel 1 year ago
Hey_its_Laurel
Flynn1999DartauianTied
Reasons for voting decision: I would normally say that you shouldn't pull someone over for -5 or +5 but the arguement was so good i had to go pro. That last round for con almost made me change my mind so props to con for that one