Emperor_Az
TheLibertyChristian

Should the School day be extended

TheLibertyChristian has forfeited round #2.

Emperor_Az

Pro

The first argument will be opening statement
The second and third will be arguments
The fourth will be rebuttals
The fifth will be conclusion
May the best man win!

Opening Statement:The U.S. is 23rd in reading, 24th in science, and 30th in math, according to 2015 average PISA scores. With the resources that are available to us, should we not be able to do better? Now is the time to catch up. By extending the school day, we can bring those scores up to standard with the top scores in the world. Also, extending the school offers many other benefits, such as: teachers would be able to plan the day with other teachers, students would be able to spend time on difficult subjects, students being able to do extra-curricular activities that students would not be able to do outside of school, and would be able to keep students out of trouble.
TheLibertyChristian

Con

Preamble of Acceptance

I would first like to thank my opponent for creating this debate, and for giving me the opportunity to represent Liberty on this public forum. To the potential, future voters casting votes to one party or the either in the voting phase of this debate soon to come, I submit to you my opening statement.

Formal Opening Statement

Imagine that you have a child, if you do not have one. Imagine that child working as hard as they can, and being forced into classes that are geared toward a single standardized test. Now imagine receiving a letter from the district’s committee that your child’s school day is being extended by an hour, or two hours, or even three hours. Imagine how you might feel as the parent of that child, and how your child might feel shouldering this burden.

No, this contention is simply immoral and absurd. You do not fix a broken pipe by extending its components into a different room. You look into the pipe fixtures and determine where the problem is, and you patch it. Extending the school day to compensate for poor testing schools, lower literacy rates, and poor student comprehension of the science and math curriculum they are taught is not the solution. The solution is how our education system formats its curriculum, and moving away from standardized testing. This is not about the hours of work put in, it is about how each individual student learns. If we continue moving towards this methodology of education, our nation’s future will only continue to look grimmer and duller.

I will further argue my stance as the debate unfolds. In advance, I thank my opponent for a feisty and thought-provoking debate. I furthermore thank, once more, the future voters of this debate for whatever deliberations they make, and for whatever verdict they come to. Thank you, God bless you, and I look forward to this debate!
Emperor_Az

Pro

American students really need to bring up their scores. Even compared to global standards, the U.S. is not that much ahead in reading and science, and is lagging behind in math. However, this could change if we extend the school day. Liz Rigg on The Atlantic states,""and have seen strong results. In 2013, D.C. Public Schools implemented extended hours for eight of its struggling schools and saw some of its largest gains in math and reading"" That shows that it has been done before; we just have to do it on a larger scale. It is even possible that we could rise to first! As Scholastic addressed other countries, and informed, ""students in countries such as South Korea, Singapore, Japan and China log considerably longer school days and months"", and they score significantly higher than most American students on every single international tests. We must increase our school time to increase the test scores of our beloved country.
Also, if we extended the school day, the teachers would have time to discuss the plan for the day with other teachers, which would benefit the students as they would walk into the classroom and be able to start right away, and benefit the teachers, as they would not have to rush in and try to get everything ready right away. It becomes a win-win situation. Rigg also commented," Andrew Davis was a teacher at a charter school in Memphis that extended its day. In his original teaching schedule, he was given two hours to plan and collaborate with other teachers." Davis marveled, "It was great!"That demonstrates that giving more time would relieve some of the stress of the teachers. And teachers would be able to teacher other extra-curricular subjects, which brings me to my next point.
Third, extending the school day would give students extra time in school. True, some of that time would be used on extending subjects like math, reading, and science, but the majority of that time would be devoted to extra-curricular activities. Students would be able to start learning second languages instead of playing video games. Students would get a head start on playing instruments instead of watching cartoons. Students would be able to have a chance in the theater instead of wrecking the neighborhood. The possibilities are endless. Charlie Friedman, Nashville Classical"s school director gushes, "Our students are learning Spanish while other kids in the community are walking home from school." That exhibits the sheer power of extending the school day. What would the other students be doing? Playing video games? Watching cartoons? Dealing drugs? Vandalism? Those possibilities for danger bring me to my last and final point.
Extending the school day would be able to keep students busy someplace while working parents could continue their work without having the constant worry about what their children are doing at home. It would also keep students out of trouble. The College of DuPage websites states," If a kid is going to get into trouble, she is most likely to do so between the time school ends and the time her parents arrive home"" If the school day is extended, these students wouldn"t be able to get into trouble, because their parents would already be at home to supervise them. Worst case scenario" their parents can"t come home on time, then they can send those few children to after school activities and/or supervision. This will reduce greatly the funding for the after school program as there are less kids who need it and the money can be used for more important matters.
Posted by TheLibertyChristian 11 months ago
TheLibertyChristian
The system glitched and made me forfeit round 2, that's...what?
TheLibertyChristian
TheLibertyChristian
Posted by Emperor_Az 11 months ago
Emperor_Az
This is my first time debating, other than the pending debate with someone else. How is the winner selected'
I also would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate, and I look forward to this. I have a feeling it will be loads of fun!