What50
Shad0wXx

Should the U.S. Government hold mandatory vaccinations?

Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

What50

Pro

Rules:
No personal attacks
And agreement to the definitions I place for Round 1

Mandatory: required by a law or rule
https://www.merriam-webster.com...

Vaccine:
a preparation of killed microorganisms, living attenuated organisms, or living fully virulent organisms that is administered to produce or artificially increase immunity to a particular disease
https://www.merriam-webster.com...

Round 1 is acceptance
Round 2 is main arguments
Round 3 is rebuttals
Shad0wXx

Con

I accept this debate. May truth and liberty prevail.
What50

Pro

Thank you Con for joining this debate.

I must ask the importance of Vaccinations. Vaccines eradicated diseases such as Polio, and Smallpox [1]. If we value our children to live a healthy life, Vaccinations are a must. Without Vaccinations how are we gonna put in the effort to fully eradicate diseases?

I also like to bring in Herd Immunity. Herd immunity is as it states "When a critical portion of a community is immunized against a contagious disease, most members of the community are protected against that disease because there is little opportunity for an outbreak. Even those who are not eligible for certain vaccines"such as infants, pregnant women, or immunocompromised individuals"get some protection because the spread of contagious disease is contained." Now how does Mandatory Vaccinations come into place you may ask? Mandatory Vaccinations can stop the spread of the diseases for indivduals who aren't vaccinated, if we don't allow Mandatory Vaccinations than contagious disease outbreaks will be more and more common. This Herd Immunity applys to diseases such as the Mumps, measles, and influenza for example[2].

What are the dangers of Vaccine refusal? In 2014 the U.S. had a record of 667 measles cases in 2014, the highest number ever since the disease was declared eradicated in 2000 [3]. It was shown that the measles outbreak among individuals over half them was unvaccinated. We not to put a stop on non-medical vaccination exemptions[3]. These are helping the disease outbreaks and lowering our herd immunity.

Con might argue that the chemicals in Vaccines are dangerous. I assure you they are well regulated.

The Mercury in Vaccines are not harmful to the body. The Mercury in Vaccines are called Thimerosal. Thimerosal contains ethylmercury which is less likely to cause harm due to the body clearing ethylmercury faster. The other type of Mercury, Methylmercury is more likely to cause harm in the body, however requires high exposure. If Methymercury is more likely to cause harm in the human body but requires large amounts, what is the danger of having ethylmercury a less dangerous Mercury?[4]
There is Formaldehyde in Vaccines. The main purpose is this inactivate the virus or bacteria in the Vaccines. Though Formaldehyde can be dangerous in large doses there are 50 to 70 times more Formaldehyde in the body than in Vaccines [5].

Aluminum is used in Vaccines to make the immune response more stronger. Aluminum is only dangerous in high amounts, but they're issued pretty small in Vaccines. Lets look at babies, who have a natural accurance of Aluminum in the bloodstream. The moment they issue a Vaccine, the babies bloodstream doesn't noticallby raise the natural amount of Aluminum in there blood, so they are safe [5].

There is Antibiotics used to counter the risk of Bacterial infection. There are no proof to show that Antibotics in Vaccinations that causes Allergic reactions. [5] There is an exaggeration of Antibotic allergic reactions even though MMR,Hepitis B shots have a 1 in 1,000,000 chance to cause Allergic Reactions.

Gelatin is used to keep Vaccines stored longer. Though Gelatin can cause Allergic reactions, there is about one case of Gelatin of Allergic reactions every 2 million cases. Gelatin is safe for children.

[1]-https://www.historyofvaccines.org...
[2]-https://www.vaccines.gov...
[3]-https://labblog.uofmhealth.org...
[4]-https://www.cdc.gov...
[5]-http://www.publichealth.org...
Shad0wXx

Con

Allow me to begin by attempting to counter your beginning arguments.

Take a look at the charts in the link below. In the first chart, it shows Polio Cases from 1937-2013, and that the Polio vaccine was introduced in 1955. Polio was already on the decline then, and it appears that the vaccine was introduced at a very convenient time. It also shows times before the Polio vaccine was introduced when Polio cases were quite low.

https://vaccines.procon.org...

There are other ways to cure and prevent disease, other than vaccines, although there are almost certainly many ways that have not been discovered yet. We could probably start with a healthier diet.

I don"t wish to argue against "Herd Immunity", as I believe it usually works. I just disagree that vaccination is the only way to do this, and that they should be mandatory.

Also, I argue that at least some of the vaccinations may not be very sensible in the first place. For example, CNN reported "The flu kills about 36,000 people a year in the United States, according to the CDC, though the range varies greatly each year. Most deaths are caused by complications from the flu."

There are about 325 million people living in the U.S.

CNN also reported "Most of the people who die have underlying illnesses or a weakened immune system, says Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN's chief medical correspondent. The flu can weaken the immune system even more, which can lead to a complication like a bacterial infection."
Also: "The flu vaccine is only about 60% effective, according to the CDC."
(Source: http://www.cnn.com...)

I also argue that there is too much power in the hands of the CDC and FDA to approve the safety of vaccines.

You may consider the "Con" side of the following link to be part of my argument.

https://vaccines.procon.org...

Also. just because the CDC says something is safe, does not necessarily make it so. There are many, many personal testimonies against vaccines.

Testimonies: www.vaclib.org/basic/testimony.htm

I would like to argue that basic Human Rights also come into play. The Rights to Life, Liberty, and Property were essential in the founding of this country (one of the greatest countries ever to exist, I may add). I argue that mandatory vaccination violates the Right to Liberty. This is forcing someone to have a vaccine injected into their body. Also, at least some vaccines contain WI-38, a diploid human cell culture line composed of fibroblasts derived from lung tissue of a 3 months gestation female fetus. This may be outside the boundaries of some religions.

Also, let me add that I, personally, have Tourette Syndrome, and the symptoms appeared very soon after my first vaccination/s. I have not recieved any vaccinations in years, and never plan to.
What50

Pro

Thank you con. Lemma address the flaws in Cons argument.

"Take a look at the charts in the link below. In the first chart, it shows Polio Cases from 1937-2013, and that the Polio vaccine was introduced in 1955. Polio was already on the decline then, and it appears that the vaccine was introduced at a very convenient time. It also shows times before the Polio vaccine was introduced when Polio cases were quite low."

I would like to address that Polio is still a disease, which means it has peaks, and drops. The chart shows that Polio did drop, but it rised again, getting peaks, and getting drops. The argument that Polio was declining is flawed because Polio, as shown in previous years seems to be going for another drop. The real permanent drop in Polio is because of the Vaccine. Without the Vaccine there would be a lot more Polio cases than without it.

"Also, I argue that at least some of the vaccinations may not be very sensible in the first place. For example, CNN reported "The flu kills about 36,000 people a year in the United States, according to the CDC, though the range varies greatly each year. Most deaths are caused by complications from the flu."

My opponent argues that the flu only kills 36 thousand people every year, and 325 million people in the U.S. I ask everybody has the right to live, isn't more moral to help reduce the number of deaths of flu. Back then the flu peaked in morality rates is roughly 300 thousand deaths. Fortunatly it's been lowering. By allowing mandatory vaccinations even though the flu shot works 60% of the time, it is still helping, and reducing the morality rates.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Con sends a link to be part of the argument. I want the judges to disregard the argument, because I believe Con has to activly tell us what they're saying, instead of sending a link for us to read.

Pro than sends a link containing the stores. Unfortunately I also want the judges to disregard that evidence due to Con not actively saying it. Even if he did told the story's, they are just anecdotes, personal experience that isn't very factual.

"I would like to argue that basic Human Rights also come into play. The Rights to Life, Liberty, and Property were essential in the founding of this country (one of the greatest countries ever to exist, I may add). I argue that mandatory vaccination violates the Right to Liberty. This is forcing someone to have a vaccine injected into their body. Also, at least some vaccines contain WI-38, a diploid human cell culture line composed of fibroblasts derived from lung tissue of a 3 months gestation female fetus. This may be outside the boundaries of some religions. "

I argue that Vaccines are essential for life. I say that by denying Vaccines, you are denying the Right to live. Also that even the though fibroblast is from fetuses that have been infected, and voluntarily aborted. The fetus with the disease, they thin out the virus to cultivate it into the human cell to make fibroblast. This is ethical because the child is voluntarily aborted, knowing they have the diseases. I believe the fetus from abortion is ethical because it can endanger the mom.

I would like to argue that basic Human Rights also come into play. The Rights to Life, Liberty, and Property were essential in the founding of this country (one of the greatest countries ever to exist, I may add). I argue that mandatory vaccination violates the Right to Liberty. This is forcing someone to have a vaccine injected into their body.

http://www.immunize.org...
Shad0wXx

Con

I am a very strong supporter of the Right to Life. I ask that you not twist my words against me. I admit that, perhaps, I should have elaborated a bit more, for clarification. What I want to argue is that if all (roughly 325 Million) people in the U.S. were vaccinated, the risk of adverse effects from the vaccines could be massive, at that scale. I don"t think pro wishes to argue that vaccines cannot have adverse effects. If he does, though, he is welcome to.

Also, the cost of all those vaccines could be used for research into alternative cures and preventatives, ones with less risk. As for pro"s asking the judges to disregard one or more of my arguments because they were linked, I ask that the judges decide whether of not to disregard it for themselves.

As for pro"s asking the judges to disregard my argument using personal stories, I think that they are actually some of the most trustworthy sources. It appears that my opponent has committed the "Appeal to Authority," or "Argument from Authority" Fallacy. Argument from authority (Latin: argumentum ad verecundiam), also called the appeal to authority, is a common form of argument which leads to a logical fallacy. The appeal to authority relies on an argument of the form: A is an authority on a particular topic.

I"d like to argue that my opponent has made a false statement in "...Vaccines are essential for life."
This argument seems to have the potential of encompassing all life, which would be false.

Also, I argue that whatever pro argues, I maintain that individuals should be able to decide for themselves whether having WI-38 injected into their bodies, rather than being forced to.

About at the end of pro"s argument, he states "I would like to argue that basic Human Rights also come into play. The Rights to Life, Liberty, and Property were essential in the founding of this country (one of the greatest countries ever to exist, I may add). I argue that mandatory vaccination violates the Right to Liberty. This is forcing someone to have a vaccine injected into their body." He stayed this without quotation marks, therefore it is technically part of his argument, and he has contradicted himself. Therefore, I ask voters to take this into account.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to debate this topic.
Posted by Shad0wXx 1 month ago
Shad0wXx
You too. Apologies if my pointing out what you said at the end (that makes you contradict yourself) was rude. I just saw an opportunity, and I took it.
Posted by What50 1 month ago
What50
Thanks for the fun debate.
Posted by Shad0wXx 1 month ago
Shad0wXx
I haven"t debated in a while, but you pulled me in, here. Get ready
Posted by Shad0wXx 1 month ago
Shad0wXx
I"d likely die first. Liberty or death!