debate-u
danjr10

Should the U.S. Government regulate the entertainment industry?

debate-u

Con

The U.S. Goverment shouldn't regulate the entertainment industry. First of all, the worldwide web is literally worldwide and it would be immpossible to censor it all. There is also DVD'S, CD'S, Video games, etc.. 85% of the time teens 13-16 were able to purchase R/M rated movies or games. This sounds bad, but they wouldn't have this problem if the vendors enforced the ratings. You should have enough common sense to not let your child/ren listen to, browse, watch, play, or purchase anything that could be a negative influence. It's your job not the Government's.
danjr10

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate. For the first round I would like to summarize my opening case. For my first contention: The government has a moral obligation to protect the children and future of its people. And for my second contention: The entertainment industry has a massive amount of influence on society. I will be using the idea of the Social Contract: A nation has a obligation to its own people. the Good Luck to my partner I look forward to seeing your case.
debate-u

Con

If the government did regulate the entertainment industry, they would push their agenda on us. This could include: Their point of view on social issues such as gay marriages, religion, witchcraft, socialism, and "wholesome" entertainment. I for one enjoy war movies and games mostly for educational purposes. The Government may differ. I am aware that these violent and explicit materials can get into the hands of minors, but I also know that some mature people enjoy watching/playing these movies/games. I think you have a good point, but the Government may use the entertainment industry to get their point across. The regulation would also take away freedom of speech, that America is known for. As I mentioned before you should have the power to control what you or your child/ren shall see, read, hear, play or purchase. The Government could improve entertainment regulations, but if we allow them to have this power it may make things worse.
danjr10

Pro

"It seems today, that all you see, is violence in movies and sex on tv - "Family Guy"

This statement, although from a cartoon, is true. Sexual, Violent and Drug centered entertainment seems to be what is concidered acceptible in todays society.

I will be using the Idea of Social Contract.

On to my first contention: The government has a moral obligation to protect the children and future of its people. In the united states most people will tell you that the children are the future. New technological advances have made pop culture spread faster than ever. in an article by Medicine.net " Popular Culture has benn plauged with drugs, sex and violence". Is this the influence our children should be getting? Absolutly not. Yes, there are parents who dont care what there child listens to, or watch's. Children are being exposed to more violence than ever before. Killing being glorified is not acceptible in todays society, and if the parents of these children dont take controll the government has to. In the state of Nebraska,the sale of violent video games has been banned to anyone under 18. A study at the University of Nebraska concluded that " Violent Video Games if played habitually, do have negitive phycologica effects on the adolecent brain". The government has the obligation to guide children to success.
My second contention is: Pop culture has a huge influence on society as a whole.
With the expansion of hip hop and rap music, it is hard to find a song without some sort of swear word or sexual content in it. Hip Hop and rap music have made it acceptible to use illegal drugs and break the law. Kanye West stated " Im not a role model", but in all truth, all music, movie and sports icons are role models. The Media hypes these people up so much that they have made these people god like. the influence from pop ulture is huge and negitive influence must be controlled.
In conclusion, I have stated how the U.S. government has a moral obligation to its people due to the social contract and needs to controll negitive influence. I urge your vote in PRO. Thank You
debate-u

Con

Regulating the entertainment industry would completely destroy the purpose of the Bill of Rights. I have been recently informed that the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) has sent "Secret Shoppers" (under the age of 18) into stores to see if the vendor would enforce the ratings. For Mature rated video games 80% of the shoppers were turned down. For R rated movies, the turn down rate was 53%. This is definitely a big improvement compared to my outdated sources. If the vendors keep enforcing the ratings, no one under the age of 18 will be able to purchase any M/R rated material. Kids actually get bad if not worse influences in school or other public activities. You brought up the social contract, the big problem with that is the Government might have a different view on "wholesome" entertainment. Censorship can get out of control. For instance, some of the old TV land shows showed married couples sleeping in separate beds. This can change the perspective of the viewer. I have nothing against TV land, but the producers of the shows seemed to be afraid of getting them censored. I have done research and have found that violent shows have some effect on a child's behavior. I have a solution. Your television has a V-chip that can block certain shows that exceed the set rating. Another solution is to choose what channels you want to allow on your television. This is called the "a la carte" method. I have gone over the harms and solutions now I will state the advantages. The Government won't have to break the Bill of Rights. You don't have to worry about the Government screwing around with your entertainment. Last, but certainly not least, you don't have to worry about the Government creating even more negative influences.
danjr10

Pro

my opponent has failed to state that there are plenty of regulations on free speech. There are also tons of regulations on the constitution, such as the right to bear arms. An article posted in time magazine in 2010 states that " if free speech is regulated all the time through tv, magazines and culture". Cigarettes company's have been banned from advertising on television and magazines. Censorship has also been in place in the United States for many years, and according to my opponents case, it would violate the constitution to censor any thing. I urge your vote in PRO on the resolution because I have shown that the government has already taken action. I would also like to pull through my two contentions as well. Vote PRO and Thank You.
Posted by emospongebob527 5 years ago
emospongebob527
Waterboarding is a form of torture in which water is poured over the face of an immobilized captive, thus causing the individual to experience the sensation of drowning. Waterboarding can cause extreme pain, dry drowning, damage to lungs, brain damage from oxygen deprivation, other physical injuries including broken bones due to struggling against restraints, lasting psychological damage, and death.
Posted by debate-u 5 years ago
debate-u
lolcannons maybe i should've, but i couldn't because he mentioned the constitution after the debate was over. Danjr10 I posted you didn't care about the constituion according to this debate please don't take it personal. I also thank you for this good debate, it was for a school project.
Posted by danjr10 5 years ago
danjr10
I do thank you for this debate. I hope we can do it again
Posted by danjr10 5 years ago
danjr10
I do care about the constitution, I just love debate. Ill debate both sides no matter what I really believe.
Posted by lolcannons 5 years ago
lolcannons
Maybe you should've said that in your actual debate?
Posted by debate-u 5 years ago
debate-u
I see that Danjr10 apparently doesn't care about the constitution or freedom of speech. I found tons of weak points in my opponents case including: spelling, not caring about the constitution, and he says that "the government has already taken action" this is true so there is no reason to let them take more action.