chicana_14
justiceandtruth

Should the U.S. get involved with Mexico's war on drugs?

justiceandtruth

chicana_14

Pro

The U.S shouldn't get involved because it is none of the U.S.'s business. Mexico is a different country and it's not part of the United States of America. What Mexico does is their business not the U.S because if the U.S gets involved then Mexico will start a war with the U.S. and I don't think Obama wants to send more U.S troops to fight against another country
justiceandtruth

Con

Lets address a few concerns I have with your argument.
The first, that,"if the U.S gets involved then Mexico will start a war with the U.S. " This is highly unlikely for one reason in particular, 1.) A majority of Mexicans want the US to increase involvement in the war on drugs.
According to a report done by Robert Beckhusen posted to wired.com,"The reason is stunning. More than half of Mexicans (52 percent) want an increased U.S. role in the drug war, and 28 percent want the U.S. military to intervene on Mexican soil, according to polling conducted by The Dallas Morning News, Mexico"s El Universal and Texas Spanish newspaper Al D"a. Only 21 percent of Mexicans say the government"s strategy is working." This makes it very clear that Mexicans by no means would go to war with the United States but rather would like to have a coalition so to speak to foster the growing issue of drugs. T.e citizens of Mexico would not go to war with America,thus making the war scenario void.

2. The idea that the drug cartel problem is there sole issue is a misconception
The rising problem with the cartel can not be interpreted as a uni national concern. The problems that Mexico faces with the cartels has begun to spillover into the United States. According to collegiatetimes.com ,"90 percent of cocaine enters the U.S. through the Mexican border. Even more, these cartels also manufacture 80 percent of the crystal meth sold in America, 14 percent of the heroin and a majority of the marijuana "" all to satisfy people"s practically insatiable demand."
Now on paper that doesn't seem to be to bad but let me elaborate the effects of cocaine on society.
Economic-
"Premature mortality, illness, injury leading to incapacitation, and imprisonment all serve to directly reduce national productivity. Public financial resources expended in the areas of health care and criminal justice as a result of illegal drug trafficking and use are resources that would otherwise be available for other policy initiatives." The lack of production due to the use of drugs can hamper overall economic productivity. With less productive citizens we fall behind. This ultimately supports that the US needs to get involved with Mexico's Drug war. To be honest their drug war is our drug war for these reasons economic ramifications, and belligerent acts against our citizens we should get involved in the conflict.
chicana_14

Pro

Its not just the CARTELS it's also the NARCOS as well but the reason we do this is because the US has such a high demand for drugs. The drugs don't only come from Mexico they come from other Spanish countries as well.
justiceandtruth

Con

Pro has not sufficiently suspended any of more arguments. It is not enough just to say it is not just Cartels. Like I said the effect of drugs can hamper economic progress. By the United States joining a Coalition against drugs with Mexico we can nip the issue in the bud and decrease the harmful effects the drugs have on our way of life. For these reasons, we should get involved in a drug war against Mexico.
Great Round
Posted by TrasguTravieso 2 years ago
TrasguTravieso
I would have awarded Con sources as well, but I had trouble finding the polls he was referring to.
Posted by chicana_14 2 years ago
chicana_14
The Con says I have no more to argue about well I do. Banderas News says, "Since 2007, nearly 23,000 people have died in Mexico's war with the drug cartels, nearly three times U.S casualties in Iraq and the Afghanistan conflict combined." So, I don't think the U.S. wants to send any troops or aid the Mexicans at war.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
All Mexico has to do to slow down the violence in Mexico is allow the folks down there to arm themselves.These criminals wopuld think twice about attacking people if they could fire back. That has been proven in America. There is far less violence where there are no gun free zones.
Posted by willwsg 2 years ago
willwsg
I'm pretty suprised people are taking the pro side, given how the con side clearly addressed and disproved the comments by the pro side. Anyways, my vote goes to the con side.
Posted by chicana_14 2 years ago
chicana_14
I agree with Man_of_Few_Words because the US government always stick their nose in other people business. Just think of all the people that the US sent to fight in Mexico's drug war, how did it turn out you may ask, well it turned out that every US troop that was sent ended up dead. None of this would have started if the US didn't have such a high demand for drugs.
Posted by Man_Of_Few_Words 2 years ago
Man_Of_Few_Words
I agree with pro the US needs to stop fighting other peoples war and getting people angry at us.
Posted by littlejerry 2 years ago
littlejerry
Well, if your argument is that it's none of our business than you may want to come at it from a different angle, considering how it negatively affects our country significantly. therefore, it is our business.
Vote Placed by moneystacker 2 years ago
moneystacker
chicana_14justiceandtruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: I am tied at the end cause of personal beliefs. I bilves that yeah we should solve the problem but I just don't think we can. We are having trouble even with domestic drug problems but yeah we should stop drug cartels and stop billionaire illegal drug industries that have influence all the way in Chicago. Also I live in Texas so drug cartels effect me
Vote Placed by TrasguTravieso 2 years ago
TrasguTravieso
chicana_14justiceandtruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Spelling and grammar: "Cartels" and "Narcos" are the same thing. "Narco" is short for "narcotraficante", drug-trafficer (thence a member of a cartel). There is to my knowledge only one Spanish country, Spain, although we have many sister-countries who share a common Hispanic heritage. Arguments: Pro's argument ignores the fact that Mexico's drug problem is not merely Mexican, Mexico houses production and trafficking while the US provides demand, as Pro goes on to admit. Con shows that the cartels are as much a problem for the US as for Mexico. Getting involved does not require the use of military force, the argument that Mexico would retaliate by declaring war is absurd (as per Con's polls). Hands down win for Con.
Vote Placed by Jingle_Bombs 2 years ago
Jingle_Bombs
chicana_14justiceandtruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con provided evidence that happenings in Mexico affect US interests. Pro spouted opinions.