jaime.izaguirre
Dpowell

Should the U.S. get rid of Electoral College?

Dpowell

jaime.izaguirre

Pro

I think that the U.S. should get rid of electoral college and I would like to see if anyone can tell me that's a bad idea.
Dpowell

Con

I accept the debate.

The government shouldn't get rid of the electoral college and here's why.

Reason 1:
Many argue that the Electoral College system contributes to the cohesiveness of the country by requiring a distribution of popular support to be elected president. With out this, the president would be selected out of his/her popularity in numerous regions. This would pretty much take away our right to vote, because if it worked that way, we'd have no reason to. I'm sure the citizens wouldn't want that.

Reason 2:
It enhances the state of minority interests. This is used so the lower class citizens get a say in the elections. If we didn't have this elections would be based upon the votes of upper class citizens in big cities, which in return would create chaos due to the lower class people fighting to get their rights to vote back. It also makes it so even small minorities can have a say in our election.

Reason 3:
It contributes to the political stability of the nation by encouraging a two-party system. Without the two parties, we wouldn't get problems that we want to get solved, solved. If there was only one party, we wouldn't elect a president the one party would select it, it wouldn't even be a president, it'd be a monarch. This would anger a lot of people. Again, putting us into anarchy. It also helps those minor parties who can never get enough popular votes in some States and it gives them as much of a chance to win the election as all the other candidates.

http://t0.gstatic.com...

http://uselectionatlas.org...
jaime.izaguirre

Pro

First of all a president winning by popularity is a good thing I don't want to offend you but I believe you have it mixed up. With the Electoral College system American votes are considered suggestions to the electors which don't have to be acknowledged but can be and should be, because it's the whole point of voting. People that know that feel as if though it's useless to vote now because their votes are nothing but suggestions.

Their are more lower class Americans then wealthy Americans hence the name the 1% so if they voted I would be more likely that the party they vote for would win. And another thing I would like to say that usually electors are wealthy which gives the 1% the upper hand.

I would like to state that there should be more than two parties. I believe a third mainstream party could help even out the playing field between Republicans and Democrats and getting rid of the Electoral College would do just that. And I believe the third party should be progressives.

P.S. Could you please be more reasonable I believe all of the anarchy talk seems a bit like a fallacy perhaps slippery slope.
Dpowell

Con

As my opponent has requested I shall leave anarchy out of this debate.

I'm going to be going out of my way to explain why we have on in the first place. To support the point of why we need it.

Section 1:
The framers of the constitution didn't trust direct democracy. Most people don't know this but a lot of the writers of the constitution were afraid of democracy. This was because they thought that the citizens would form factions and violate each others rights. Mostly James Madison did at least. He also worried that these factions could also hurt the country as a whole.

Section 2:
This is the a continuation of section 1 but with my thoughts. I actually agree with that. Democracy is a very advanced form of government, so factions were very likely seeing how they weren't very advanced back in that time period. The biggest fear is that a faction would cover over 50% of the country's population. If this happened, it could turn to a democracy because the people would continuously vote for the same person, and that same person would constantly be getting elected.

This is why it was set up.

http://www.factcheck.org...
jaime.izaguirre

Pro

Okay first of all I would like to point out that you cant compare 17th century America to 20th century America we are completely different now. And I really strongly disagree with you on the fact that the founding fathers were afraid of democracy they were afraid of the British.

thats why we have terms and we once again do not live in 17th century America.

As I close my final round I would like to state that all the electoral college does is keep tye lower class low and the higher class high by turning down voters votes aka the peoples opinions. Well I say hell no I won't show (to the voting booth that is).b
Dpowell

Con

I'm going to make this short and sweet.

Section 1:
I'm not going to vote either because the people running for president are idiots.

Section 2:
The Electoral College hasn't turned down any votes since the '60s. There is no evidence that t it has turned down a vote recently anyway. So unless my opponent can prove their rebuttal true, he is using a made up fact, or a rumor.

I must end here for I am typing this on my xbox with my cousin's account and he really wants it back.
Posted by mentalist 1 year ago
mentalist
The electoral college is a way to insure the president is selected and not elected. Gerrymandering is practiced to manipulate the electors. The United States is not a republic or democracy...it is a business.
Posted by jaime.izaguirre 2 years ago
jaime.izaguirre
I'm sensing a pattern here the only people who voted are Republicans.
Posted by jaime.izaguirre 2 years ago
jaime.izaguirre
In response to Mr. Lincoln's vote are you serious he doesn't even know what the Electoral College is.
Posted by Bennett91 2 years ago
Bennett91
I may accept, what is the response time and character limit?
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
jaime.izaguirreDpowellTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sources to Con for being the only one to use sources. Many of Con's points were dropped by Pro thus meaning that the resolution is negated.
Vote Placed by Mr.Lincoln 2 years ago
Mr.Lincoln
jaime.izaguirreDpowellTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con used sources while Pro went by his gut