Liberals
sidewinder

Should the U.S. public school system get rid of standardized learning plans? (Common Core)

sidewinder

Liberals

Pro

yes they should. The schools should find each persons strengths, and then put them on in full pursuit of a career that they would be skilled at and would enjoy. Like for example, a kid that would be a very skilled engineer and that is intersted in math in science would drop social studies/humanities and Language Arts classes completely and do Math and Science and engineering classes full time.
sidewinder

Con

Hello I'll be glad to debate this issue with you

First of all I want to say that my background in education has been a excellent one. I live in Massachusetts where we have the best education system in the entire country with our test scores barley behind and in some cases above countries such as Sweden, China, and Norway countries that have consistently beat the United States. This state was the first state to introduce the common core (under a Republican Governor Mitt Romney I might add) this is not as scary as it might seem on Fox News and other bias sources. In reality the common core is a set of standards in education that must be met by the end of the year. this does not mean their is a scary regime telling teachers how to teach things bu is instead a framework to show what the students must learn. The teacher can be trained on ways to teach but they do not necessarily need to follow them to the letter instead these training sessions are a melting pot of different teaching styles that help teachers by allowing them to accept ideas that they like and reject ones they don't. In fact I feel this type of framework is desperately needed because America at the state level is often failing to invest in their education systems. By instituting this frame work we would force schools to adopt a set of objectives that must be reached. These objectives can then be assessed through a variety of formats such as tests, projects, and any other type of formal or informal assessment. Thus I feel that this hype over the "socialist" threat of common core has been over hyped to the extreme.

I also find your plan for teaching as almost distopian for who would decide what a child had training in their parents their teachers a test. In my opinion elementary and secondary education fills the vastly important role of allowing a child to explore all his options and realize what he wants to be when he grows up. This decision that you are speaking of is often made before or even during college or entering the work force. Would you force that decision early on any child for in my opinion that is a cruel decision to make for anyone. For what if that child changed his mind on what he wanted to become, what if that "kid that would be a very skilled engineer and that is interested in math in science would drop social studies/humanities and Language Arts classes completely and do Math and Science and engineering classes full time" ended up not liking math and is now several years behind on his other subjects. For as my math teacher says "the only job you have in High School is to keep all your doors open". To take away options from a child who may not know better is a horrible thing to do and could rip out of any hope of crating a dynamic and creative work force.

Thus, with all do respect, I pray that your plan is not accepted by America
Liberals

Pro

Okay, I see were your coming from, and FYI, I do belive in socalism. I'm sorry I didn't explain my first argument so clearly. Elementry school would have all classes. But then in middle and high school, students would take surveys of which would test them on strengths in each class and what sort of classes they are interested in. Then, most of the time kids are interested in what they are good at, but if not, the schools can give a heavier emphasis on the classes they are skilled at but still have an emphasis on the classes they are interested in. That way they can go out into the world knowing with training for a good job.

I do get what you mean about common core, but it's too broad. See, some of the most smart scientists, artists, philosophers, and writers did terrible in school and absolutely hated it. Why? Because it didn't focus on what they are good at. I know it's why I hate school, and I know that's why a lot of kids hate school. If you have and F in math at the end of high school and you have good grades in all of your classes, you will fail.
sidewinder

Con

Once again I'm not quite sure you understand the idea of telling a 5th grade to make lasting life choices on what he will do as a adult. This decision is sometimes not even answered by the time they enter the workforce or college. Also ow exactly to to envision children getting a broad knowledge for all their academic subjects by 5th grade. For instance l loved history in 5th grade and I though I wanted to be a historian when I grew up. However, as I learned about the work of a historian and as I took CAD drawing classes I realized that I wanted to become engineer. How would I completely change my courses when the decisions that I made in 5th grade decided the rest of my life.

In your relation to the common core being to broad broadness is exactly what students in elementary and secondary education need in order to provide as many doors as possible to the American youth. Also to imagine that our education system should be based on a few geniuses that were the exception o the rule. However, even they need cross disciplinary skills, for imagine if Einstein had the writing skill of a 5th grader do you really think his discovery of he Photoelectric effect would have won him Nobel prize. No it wouldn't have because he wouldn't of been able to because presentation is almost as important as substance.

Thus to base our entire school system based on the experiences of the super geniuses wouldn't make sense

Also socialism has never worked but thats a debate for another time
Liberals

Pro

Okay, you do make a good point there. You win. If Kids wanted to change courses they would have to start from the beginning and it would be insanely expensive. But i still hate common core.

And, Yes socalism has and never will work out unless the world becomes one socalist country.
sidewinder

Con

Thank you for this debate
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
LiberalssidewinderTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
LiberalssidewinderTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro pretty much gives up in round 2