KhosroTheGreat
kjorstad

Should the UN carry on doing the same thing in response to the Iran Nuclear Crisis?

KhosroTheGreat

Con

In this debate, we will be covering:
Is Iran building Nuclear Weapons?

Does Iran even want to build Nuclear Weapons?

What has the UN done so far?

Has this been effective/the right thing to do?

What should the UN do now?

kjorstad

Pro

Hi! I eagerly accept your proposition. I am unsure as to your stance on the topic, as you have not specified, but am perfectly happy to hash out the details of what's going on with Iran, nuclear weapons and the UN; I am sure we will disagree on issues such as Iran's desire to build nuclear weapons, the effectiveness of the UN's actions thus far, and how future actions should be taken. I look forward to your position and arguments!
KhosroTheGreat

Con

KhosroTheGreat forfeited this round.
kjorstad

Pro

As my opponent has forfeited the first round, I will begin with a brief overview of past events. Seeing as we both agree that Iran is pursuing the construction of nuclear weapons, I won"t even make that a point of debate.

Many people don"t realize that Iran"s nuclear program actually began in the 1950"s with support from the US; the Atoms for Peace Program during Eisenhower"s administration involved Western participation and support of their nuclear program with the goal of establishing peaceful uses of nuclear energy. This support continued until 1979 when Iranian revolution toppled the Shah.

In 2003, the US Intelligence Community came to the conclusion that Iran was pursuing information and research that would allow it to complete a nuclear weapon, but was not actually attempting the construction of one. However, Iran has had numerous facilities in which they have pursued the enrichment of uranium. They have argued that they only enrich the Uranium to 5% (U-235), which is consistent with the fuel level for a civilian nuclear power plant; however, US intelligence has consistently pointed to higher levels of enrichment. Paired with the secrecy with which Iran pursues their enrichment program and nuclear research, the UN Security Council has called on numerous occasions for a suspension of their enrichment program. Iran"s defense of the secrecy is that the US and Western governments have caused deals with other nuclear agencies to fall through, and that energy solvency forces them to become self-dependent. However, the overall capacity of Iran to develop nuclear weapons (involving uranium enrichment, a detonating device, and delivery system) is uncertain.

In July, 2014, the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency, partner branch of UN) confirmed that Iran"s stock of 20% Uranium had been either diluted or converted to Uranium Oxide, making it much less of a threat, reinforcing Iran"s commitment to the Joint Action Plan (JPA) under the P5+1 aimed towards eliminating a nuclear-dangerous Iranian state. The IAEA also confirms that at all declared and known enrichment sites, Iran is enriching only up to 5%. The JPA allowed for the lifting of various sanctions and limitations in exchange for the restriction of Iran"s enrichment program, as well as allowing inspectors to view Iran"s facilities and oversee the removal of their Uranium stockpiles.
Currently, the IAEA is still waiting for more information on Iran"s nuclear program that Iran agreed to supply. A senior Iranian official was quoted in late August as saying that Iran is "in the process" of completing transparency measures on nuclear research.

In the long run, many steps have been taken by the international community, most specifically through the Security Council/JPA and the IAEA to both strengthen communication between Iran and the West, as well as increasing the levels of trust between the two nations. However, the question remains as to how far Iran intends to follow through with the Western influence on it and exactly how much of their nuclear program they have divulged to inspectors.

I eagerly await your position on this debate and your arguments as to the UN"s actions on the matter.
KhosroTheGreat

Con

KhosroTheGreat forfeited this round.
kjorstad

Pro

kjorstad forfeited this round.
KhosroTheGreat

Con

KhosroTheGreat forfeited this round.
kjorstad

Pro

kjorstad forfeited this round.
KhosroTheGreat

Con

KhosroTheGreat forfeited this round.
kjorstad

Pro

I am disappointed that my opposition has failed to present arguments in a debate that they proposed. Further, due to the fact that I am the only side in this debate to actually post any arguments, I feel I am entitled the votes in this debate.
Posted by kjorstad 3 years ago
kjorstad
KhosroTheGreat, do you plan on submitting any arguments at all?
Posted by KhosroTheGreat 3 years ago
KhosroTheGreat
I am, but the debate is about what the UN should do about it.
Posted by LogicalLunatic 3 years ago
LogicalLunatic
So you're taking the position that Iran is building nuclear weapons?