HeyFattey2
Danielle

Should the US ban Junk Food?

HeyFattey2

Pro

I will let you start. I needed someone to practice with.
Danielle

Con

Well, Pro hasn't offered any arguments for his claim, so I'll begin...

1. Judging by my opponent's username, it appears as if he plans on launching some type of attack against "fattys." However I think it's quite obvious that healthy people of all shapes and sizes enjoy junk food, so to ban something not explicitly dangerous would be unnecessary and without any basis or merit. Obese people are responsible for their own life choices, and healthy people should be able to enjoy their sweets. Plus, if one is obese, they might still enjoy their snacks while working out... Not to mention that people get fat off of things besides junk food (like carbohydrates).

2. The junk food market employs a lot of people. In addition to making schools money via vending machines, there are people involved in the selling, marketing, distributing, making, advertising, etc. of junk food products. To eliminate this industry would mean destroying a lot of companies and leaving innumerable people jobless. In a poor economy such as our current recession, how does Pro expect to compensate for the damage done to the economy? It will effect not only unemployment and social service programs, but also = a lot less tax revenue for the government at the same time. Overall, this is bad news.

3. Allowing this type of ban would lead a slippery slope down banning anything the 'government' deems remotely "harmful" which is unconstitutional. There is no legal reason or need to enact this type of legislation.

I'll conclude this round for now until my opponent offers some type of argument and/or rebuttal.
HeyFattey2

Pro

Thank you for accepting.
1 No, the reason that my user name is 'HeyFattey' is because I couldn't think of anything else. Anyway, you said "healthy people of all shapes and sizes enjoy junk food". I agree on that point. The question is do enough healthy people exercise? Also, seat belts are for our safety right? So, as well as banning this food that means "useless in nutritional value." Also,I meant, chips like Doritos.
2 Your explanation is that we have a poor economy when we are spending $78.1 billion dollars in the Afghanistan war.

http://motherjones.com...
Danielle

Con

1. The question of whether enough healthy people exercise or not is irrelevant to all of the arguments that I made in my first point (personal responsibility, junk food not being directly dangerous, etc).

2. The cost of the War in Afghanistan is just a point that furthers my side; we can't afford to destroy the jobs associated with the junk food market.

3. Pro didn't even attempt to answer this point.
HeyFattey2

Pro

Junk Food basics
In 1972, Michael Jacobson created the slang word junk food to describe foods with useless or no nutritional value. Now in the next chapter of junk food basics, you will learn almost everything about junk food. So let's start. Regardless about the ban for now, why do chips taste so good? The flavor and everything, it's like your mouth visits heaven. The reason that they taste so good is because it is rich in 4 unhealthy things. They either have 3 of these 4 sodium, salt, sugar and oils. Most healthy adults have to eat less than 2,300 milligrams of sodium, which equals to one tablespoon. But cheetos for example have 590 milligrams of sodium. That's almost � of an adult's sodium usage. That shows how unusable they are. Most people know that salt is unhealthy. And it is, quoted from Nancy Ernst from the National Institutes of Health "The evidence continues to support the association between salt intake and blood pressure. That is, the higher the salt intake, the higher the blood pressure." Oil's are fats, just in their liquid form. And fats give chips texture, and flavor. Now that we know what the good stuff factor is, we go to another subject.
Junk Food basics 2
Chips are famous for being easy to make and consume. The taste and time factor are very important in the making. The taste is delicious even though the stomach suffers. These chips are very addictive Potato wafers don't even need cooking, or heating. That is another good reason why they taste good. Its simplicity is so great. You can grab one when you are in a hurry. The same thing that makes them appealing is the same thing that makes them bad for your health. Its taste. There are four disadvantages of eating chips. You gain a lack of energy, poor concentration, heart diseases, and high cholesterol. I will talk about the disadvantages. The explanation for lack of energy is what we talked earlier; it doesn't have the appropriate nutrients, therefore leaving you weakened. When you have grand pieces of oil, you feel drowsy, making you have poor concentration. Dangerously, blood flow slows, having a loss of vital oxygen. Heart disease is the number one death cause in the U.S. A factor of this illness is overweight and obesity. Plaques create in the arteries, clogging blood. Liver damage is a cause over time after eating junk food. So I ask you, is all of this healthy. No. Now I will talk about all the questions/comments you might have.
Danielle

Con

I'm just coming back from vacation and have 5 minutes left to read/post an argument. I won't be able to get around to it, so I apologize to my opponent for essentially skipping this round -- I promise to post a full and final rebuttal in the next round. Sorry again, thanks, and good luck!
HeyFattey2

Pro

Rebuttals
1 You: "This is America, land of the free. We can eat whatever we want."
Me: "Yes this is America, but people don't know the harms. It can give you a heart disease."
2 You: "We'll I've never had heart diseases. So we should be free to eat chips as much as we can. And the nutrition label is on the back. We can read it if we want or we can ignore it."
Me: "You haven't been in a car accident either. And that is less likely to happen. But most people don't die because of car accidents. You know why? Because of restrictions like seat belts. You have to wear those. That's why we should restrict ourselves from eating too many chips. We should at least have a diet. But who has the time as kids? Also most people don't even read the labels, sort of unconscious of what they eat."
3 You: "Okay. But what about the economy? There are many people who are in the making of selling, marketing, distributing, making, advertising etc. Wouldn't that lower people's jobs after this recovery of the second worse economic failure?
Me: "You say that when we are spending 78.1 billion with a ‘b'."
4 You: "Yeah, because we don't want to die. Especially now."
Me: "Okay. We can have some advertisement like ‘these are the last 10 days that chips are on the shelves. Buy yours before you say bye-bye to chips.' This commercial can boom up sales. It would send everyone buying many bags. Because later on the chips would become rare."
5 You: "We can't spend all our money on something so…unnecessary. (Click) And these are your thoughts of possible things in the future. Just because you think they will become true doesn't mean they will become true. "
Me: "It's your fault if you don't buy it. Also the alarming point that they will be gone will be successful. The readings show that Cheetos sells 1 billion bags per year, therefore being successful that they will sell."
6 You: "Okay you said it would become rare. What if some people start stealing/making/selling chips. Wouldn't this catch the attention? And what would you do?"
Me: "We'll we could do what we've been doing for the past hundreds of years ago: arrest people."
7 You: "No I mean if fast food restaurants start selling imitations."
Me: "All imitation close to chips will not be accepted by the government."
8 You: "Do French fries count as chips. In other words, will you ban French fries as well?"
Me: "If you want to I can. Nah I'm just messing around with you. No I won't ban french fries. Because that would really make commotion. First chips then French fries. What next, toy cars?"
9 You: "Ok. But I still have questions from the debate. In the beginning you said something about people laughing at you just because you were eating junk food. What's so wrong about that? Healthy people of all shapes and sizes enjoy junk food as much as you do."
Me: "Yes, but the real question is how many healthy people. Not enough people. Because if it were so, the deaths of heart disease would be lower."
10 You: "You said that you would ban all chips. Does that include healthy snacks like Sun chips?"
Me: "Not necessarily. Maybe ban all chips that have sodium higher than 150."(Sun chips' level of sodium is 120 if you want to know.)
11 You: "You talked about adult sodium readings. What are children's readings?"
Me: "I talked to American Heart Association and person who answered me said that there were no readings for children."
12 You: "Is this necessary. Because alcohol and cigarettes are unhealthy, should we ban these too? Car accidents are fatal like your diagram say, should we ban cars?"
Me: "This debate is only about chips. I never said I wouldn't ban them. Because I would."
13 You: "Should you ban baked chips? Because you did say chips."
Me: "I think they depend on each different brand Lay's baked vs. Lays. Regular lays win this time because they have 60 less sodium. Doritos's baked vs. Doritos's. Baked Doritos's have a better impact this time. You see what I mean."
Now are there anymore questions (Answer questions.) Good. Now, before ending my presentation, you have learned many things. Take in consideration everything since everything is fact and opinion based on fact. It is really hard of letting go that bag you got. You know the risk. You know everything I could have possibly taught you in the last ten minutes. It's not my choice. It's yours. Please choose the correct path. It's for your own health. Thank you.
"It is not until the worst moment you realize that you have the key to everything you do. And that key was the thing from your success or failure."
Bibliography:
http://www.dietpolicy.com...#
http://www.helpfulhealthtips.com...
http://www.guidanceassociates.com...
http://ezinearticles.com...
http://www.thedailyplate.com...*
http://www.cdc.gov...
http://chinese-school.netfirms.com...
http://www.cnn.com...
http://beebleblog.com...
http://www.medterms.com...
Google images.
Microsoft Word Dictionary.
The AHA (American Heart Association) for responding my single question.
Danielle

Con

** ROUND 3 REBUTTAL **

[ Junk Food Basics 1 ]

Pro made 2 points here. First, that junk food pertains to foods that contain sodium, salt, sugar and oils. While Pro claims that these things have no nutritional value, that certainly is not the case. Sugar, for instance, provides caloric energy for our bodies -- In fact, organs like our brain quite literally cannot function without sugar. We use salt to keep a balance of water for each of the cells in our body (when you have too much salt in your blood, the cells shrivel because of osmosis; when you have too little salt in your blood, the cells burst from too much water again thanks to osmosis). So, while junk food might be bad for you on balance, to say that we don't use junk food for good is untrue. Second, Pro points out that junk food and salt in articular lead to health issues. More about that in a second...

[ Junk Food Basics 2 ]

Once again, any argument pertaining to how junk food can be bad for you has already been refuted and addressed in previous rounds when I mentioned arguments about personal responsibility, etc.

** ROUND 4 REBUTTAL **

In this round, Pro just gave more arguments pertaining to health risks associated with junk food. However, once again this does not negate my point about personal responsibility and the fact that junk food is not explicitly nor immediately dangerous. He writes "Yes this is America, but people don't know the harms." Again, this is untrue. Products are required by law to list their ingredients and nutritional information, so people are aware of what they consume and how it will affect their body (especially with something as blatantly listed such as "fat").

Regarding seat belt laws, the analogy is totally irrelevant. The government isn't banning cars just because some people get into car accidents. Mandating seatbelts to encourage safe habits is the same as the government mandating food products reveal their nutritional information. People are equipped with safety "instructions" but in the end what they do is up to them. Also, any other argument Pro mentioned in this round really still does not combat my main arguments. As far as responding to his, once again I believe it's quite obvious and simple that there is no reason to ban junk food simply because it can be abused. Prescription drugs, sun tanning and other common everyday thing can be harmful if abused - the key is not to encourage not abusing them. Banning them is unnecessary and dangerous.

** CONCLUSION **

Since Pro's last round was really lame and this entire debate has essentially been a joke, please just extend all of my arguments from R1 since Pro never adequately refuted them or even addressed them. I pointed out:

1) Obese people are responsible for their own life choices, and healthy people should be able to enjoy their sweets. Plus, if one is obese, they might still enjoy their snacks while working out... Not to mention that people get fat off of things besides junk food (like carbohydrates).

2) To eliminate this industry would mean causing long lasting and devastating effects on the economy.

3) Allowing this type of ban would lead a slippery slope down banning anything the 'government' deems remotely "harmful" which is unconstitutional. There is no legal reason or need to enact this type of legislation.
Posted by atheistman 7 years ago
atheistman
People always forget about the skinny people. If we banned junk food, then skinny people would become dangerously thin and not be able to have enough body fat to be healthy.
Posted by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
This was one of the oddest debates that I've ever read. All to con except sources and a tie on sp/gr.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Round 4 = Biggest strawman in the existence of the Universe.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
No, you obviously plagiarised round 3.
Posted by HeyFattey2 7 years ago
HeyFattey2
The reason that round 3 was akward is that it was my writing. My persuasive paper.
Vote Placed by newguy 7 years ago
newguy
HeyFattey2DanielleTied
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
HeyFattey2DanielleTied
Vote Placed by atheistman 7 years ago
atheistman
HeyFattey2DanielleTied
Vote Placed by Cutty 7 years ago
Cutty
HeyFattey2DanielleTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
HeyFattey2DanielleTied
Vote Placed by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
HeyFattey2DanielleTied
Vote Placed by Vi_Veri 7 years ago
Vi_Veri
HeyFattey2DanielleTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
HeyFattey2DanielleTied