gr33k_fr33k5
espnfan54

Should the US give aid to countries in the Middle East

gr33k_fr33k5

Con

Introduction:

I recently read a debate regarding this and in a word it sucked. However, I feel it is an interesting idea. I have limited it to the Middle East since with such a broad range of examples I felt that limitations were necessary.

Format:

It has been a while since I did a formal debate (probably a year or so), if you have any comments or suggestions regarding definitions/formatting please state them at the beginning of the first round.

R 1 : Acceptance
R 2 : Opening arguments
R 3 : Rebuttals/defense (no new arguments)
R 4 : defense/conclusion (no new arguments)

Definitions:

aid: economic, technical, or military aid given by one nation to another
for purposes of relief and rehabilitation, for economic stabilization,
or for mutual defense. http://dictionary.reference.com...

"countries in the middle East": http://en.wikipedia.org...

Lets have a good clean debate
espnfan54

Pro

The United States gives aid to many middle eastern countries who have joined us on the war of terror. Aid to many middle eastern countries has benefited many economies, kept strong relations, kept peace among countries and has protected our own country for the threat of terrorism. I would argue we need to keep middle eastern aid, but we can reduce some of the amount of aid we give.
gr33k_fr33k5

Con

I will assume then that my formatting is fine.

Round one was meant only for acceptance and not for new arguments, so I would ask my opponent to simply reiterate his Round 1 post for round two, refraining from rebutting any of my arguments.

The truth is Middle Eastern countries do not appreciate our efforts there. This can clearly be seen in Egypt. "U.S. military aid to Egypt totals over $1.3 billion annually. In addition, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) has provided over $28 billion in economic and development assistance to Egypt since 1975." (1) On top of this President Barack Obama exerted his influence on the removal of Hosni Mubarak in 2011. How do they repay us? What signs of gratitude do we recieve? In fact most Egyptians don't even want aid from us (2).

Even after the Arab Spring corrupt governments dominate the landscape of the Middle East. This means that not only does America get a bad rep for getting involved in areas we don't belong, most of the money we giv eto these countries are never seen by those who need it. We line the pockets of the corrupt while the poor are fed lies about America's motives.

1. http://www.state.gov...;
2. http://www.gallup.com...
espnfan54

Pro

espnfan54 forfeited this round.
gr33k_fr33k5

Con

I forgot to define one rule I have realized, because it is so far into the debate I will allow my opponent to decline this stipulation if he wants. I would like to specify that this debate is centered on the US government's aid, not that of private organizations.

I would like to first point out my opponent has failed to provide any sort of support for his statements.

My opponent claims that our aid has done four things

1) benefited many economies
2) kept strong relations
3) kept peace among countries
4) protected our own country from terrorists

1.

Is this true? Lets look at the facts, according to Wikipedia (3) Afghanistan has an unemplayment rate of about 35%. This is after billions upon billions of dollars in aid have been given. The GDP per capita is about $900 . . . obviously this is not an example of successful aid. . . If there is no significant change in the well-being of those that need aid the most, why are we pouring money into them?

There is one thing for certain, sending billions of dollars away is in no way bebfiting our own economy. We rely on oil from the Middle East, however, since that is their only export of any significance, we can be sure that regardless of who is in charge theyll give it to us.

It is all fine and good saying that the aid "isn't helping" but what should be done with that money? Perhaps if we invested it in our own oil fields we could be less dependant on the fields there which would in turn help with a host of economic and domestic problems.

2.

Keeping strong relations? Our relations with any major country in the Middle East are bad at best. Again I will point at Egypt, we help them become free of a dictator. How are our relations with them? Well they've imprisoned a number of our aid workers there on claims that they are government spies. They believe America is nothing more than "big brother" who is waiting to indirectly control their nation.

3.

Have we "kept the oeace?" We've started two wars there, aided in the Libyan conflict, there is an unofficial war going on in Syria and we are on the brink of war with Iran. Peace and Middle East should not be used in the same sentence, unless of course it is a punchline for Jimmy Kimmel.

4.

Middle Eastern aid has in no way prevented terrorist attacks. I will remind you that we were involved in the Middle East long before the attack on the world trade centers. Since then we've had the underwear bomber, the Fort Hood shootings, and the car bomb in New York City. These are all acts of terrorism which financial aid did nothing to stop. The truth is the money we pour in to them is not buying us the good will of Middle Eastern people, it instead makes them wary of the US because they know that nothing in life is truly free.
espnfan54

Pro

espnfan54 forfeited this round.
gr33k_fr33k5

Con

my opponent has forfeited the debate, please vote pro.
espnfan54

Pro

espnfan54 forfeited this round.