Muddy-Rivers
Deathbeforedishonour

Should the US institute compulsory military service?

Deathbeforedishonour

Muddy-Rivers

Pro

I'll start it out simple. I will not establish any rules f debate except to maintain respect for the opponent.

Should the US institute compulsory military service for those that turn 18? I think they should if the person in question does not attend college and is in proper health for service, proper health meaning medical conditions, not physical fitness as I think that through this service it would assist in the increase in physical health for Americans. In addition I think that within college, those that got exempted from compulsory service should be required to take a certain number of classes on military training and command.

Beyond this I think that all Americans under a certain age should be required to do some form of military or national service, National Guard or something similar. Also with all of this, those unwilling to enter a combat role of some sort, should be given an option regarding medical training or other non-combative roles within the service.
Deathbeforedishonour

Con

I thank my opponent for his challenge and now lets move on with the debate.

I think we all know what the words compulsory and military service is so I think definitions are unneeded.

Rebuttel

My opponent has made a list of things he thinks should be done however, he has not once informed us why these things should be done and therefore is invalid untill he gives proper reasons for why these things should be done.

I will now give my case as to why we should not automatically draft people into service.

Contention 1: The Constitution, Conscription, and a Liberty

In this contention I will start by asking the same question Daniel Webster gave before congress during the War of 1812 right before Congress voted against drafting people into the army while we were fighting the worlds most powerful army at the time: Is this the proper conduct of a government that is supposed to defend freedom[1]? The Constitution clearly gives people the right to life, liberty, and private property [2]. However, conscription denies people these rights. They reduce the citizens of the United States, a country that is supposed to be the land of the free to mere slaves to their government, and slavery is forbiden by the constitution! Forced military service contradicts everything this country stands for!

Contention 2: A Conscripted Military is a Bad Military

In this next contention I will assert that a military made up mostly of slaves or conscripts (whatever one prefers) is not as effecient as a volunteer army. Now, picture if you will, two armies. Army X is made up of conscripts, while Army Y is made up of volunteers. Now, Army X has mostly got people who do not wont to be fighting the war nd thus has moral issues that Army Y ( a army of people that chose to fight) don't have. Army X is only going to put in the minimal amount of work so they don't get in trouble or so they don't die, while Army Y has men/women that have chosen to be there and are going to do whatever it takes to when that war because it is their job. history proves this time and again. The Soviet Army during the Soviet-Afgan war was made up of mostly conscripts and they ultimately lost [3]. We see this in the Vietnam war as well [4]. Most of our fighting force was drafted and we lost. It is just common sense that a volunteer would do much better then a slave.

I will now await my opponent's response. Thank You.

[1]http://www.antiwar.com...
[2]http://www.archives.gov...
[3]http://en.wikipedia.org...
[4]http://en.wikipedia.org...;
Muddy-Rivers

Pro

Muddy-Rivers forfeited this round.
Deathbeforedishonour

Con

Arguments extended.
Muddy-Rivers

Pro

Muddy-Rivers forfeited this round.
Deathbeforedishonour

Con

Argument extended...
Muddy-Rivers

Pro

Muddy-Rivers forfeited this round.
Deathbeforedishonour

Con

My opponent has not defended his statement nor has he refuted my case.

Vote Con.

I am sorry that this debate didn't turn out well but I will leave you with a song.

Posted by Muddy-Rivers 4 years ago
Muddy-Rivers
Being as there is no call for implementation in regards to this issue within the current congress, nor is it something currently implemented, I understand that there is much greater need for proof to be presented by the side in favor of changing "what is." The only burden for my opponent will be in refuting the proof that is presented in favor of change. I believe that to change something, proof of it being a beneficial, positive, or otherwise correct action is the burden of those in favor of change. However, if the opposition to change cannot refute evidence with either valid arguments as to the factual basis of the evidence, evidence of reasons against the change, or other information that accurately and validly refutes the evidence presented then the one in favor of change has proven the argument.

While I see you were not the one to get to this challenge in time, I would like to debate other issues with you if these types of issues are your interest. I love debate and I am open to nearly any topic, and often have no problem arguing against my own opinions as a "devil's advocate" as I feel it helps me solidify my own opinions by learning the opposition.
Posted by Bodhivaka 4 years ago
Bodhivaka
Ah, I see Deathbeforedishonour beat me to it :P
Posted by Bodhivaka 4 years ago
Bodhivaka
Do you agree that the burden of proof is on you in this debate? If so, I'll accept.
Vote Placed by 1Historygenius 4 years ago
1Historygenius
Muddy-RiversDeathbeforedishonourTied
Vote Placed by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
Muddy-RiversDeathbeforedishonourTied
Vote Placed by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
Muddy-RiversDeathbeforedishonourTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.