ceaser8901
JKL

Should the US keep the Federal System?

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

ceaser8901

Pro

First round is acceptance. Should be fairly self explanatory.
JKL

Con

IM just a BILL yes im ONLY a BILL
ceaser8901

Pro

("Map of unitary and federal states" by Lokal_Profil. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.5 via Wikimedia Commons)

That map shows Federations in green and Unitary States in blue. So quick definitions taken from Google so that way my respectable opponent knows what they are arguing about. I am arguing in favor of the United States of America staying a federation (a state operating under a federal system0 which is defined in the following way: a group of states with a central government but independence in internal affairs

My opponent will be arguing in favor of the United States of America becoming a Unitary State defined as: a sovereign state governed as a single entity. The central government is supreme, and the administrative divisions exercise only powers that the central government has delegated to them.

I will note that that definition of unitary state makes it sound like the USA would be one, however the 10th amendment of the US Constitution is what makes us a true federation.

So the question is as follows: should we stay a federation? My answer is absolutely! In this round I will be elaborating on the points I will bring up in the rest of this debate for why we should keep the federal system.

1. We established a Federal system because the UK (which is a unitary state) had been very tyrannical when governing the first 13 colonies. We realised that this system would not work so that it why we established a federation. Yes the Articles of Confederation were flawed and almost had too much federalism in them, but we adapted and we have made one of the best federations on Earth. No our government isn't perfect, but our system for governing is.

2. Federal States are some of the most successful countries in the world; take Germany as an example. Germany has one of the largest and most stable economies in the world today (4th in the world). And Germany is not alone, the US is the largest economy in the world, Brazil is 7th in the world , Russia is 9th and India is 10th. Switzerland is ahead of the US in GDP per capita (9th) Switzerland also has a stable, high tech economy. All of that goes to show how successful federations are in the world.

3. Most Unitary States were former empires. I'm not saying that empires are bad or anything but I will say that empires were corrupt and very tyrannical. However most federations are much less corrupt due to the much more widespread distribution of power.
JKL

Con

The link doesn't work
ceaser8901

Pro

My respectable opponents account has been closed. If anyone wants to debate me on this topic send me a personal message or challenge me. However I would like to argue the pro side for keeping the federal system.
JKL

Con

JKL forfeited this round.
ceaser8901

Pro

Vote pro due to forfit!
JKL

Con

JKL forfeited this round.