Should the US lower the drinking age?

I will not begin this debate until i have an opponent.

I will wait for my opponent to start

I thank my opponent for joining this debate and making me free from my boredom. Well, first off, this topic has been very sensitive ever since the establishment of a legal drinking age. The answer to this question is a definite no for 2 main contentions, (1) because by lowering the drinking age we would actually be increasing underage drinking and (2) because statistics have shown that by lowering the drinking age we would be increasing the number of alcohol related deaths and injuries.
My first contention that by lowering the drinking age we would actually be increasing the number of underage drinkers. Well lowering the current drinking age is 21 and 18 year olds have a tendency to drink in order to say they are adult enough to drink. However, by lowering the drinking age, we will be basically saying that they have won the fight and that we give up. Then 17 and 16 year olds will begin to do the same thing and eventually end up getting the drinking age lowered.

any believe that the age to legally be able to purchase, consume or possess alcohol should be 18. A United States Citizen is allowed to vote when they are 18 years of age. 18 year old males are forced to join the Selective Service, for possible drafting. This means that 18-year old males can go to war. At age 18, a citizen is also inclined to jury duty. So, an 18-year old is given the responsibilities of voting, being selected for jury duty, and possibly being drafted for war. If an 18-year old citizen is to be given these responsibilities, why is the legal drinking age 21? Does the U.S. Government not trust those of us under 21? They trust us with their votes, yet they cannot treat them like full adults for another 3 years?

In regards to his argument lowering the drinking age to 18 would not matter. But the drinking age would not continually getting lower unless of course the age to enlist was lowered, the age to vote was lowered, and the age to be considered an adult.

I do commend my opponent on a job well done and wish him luck through round 3.
To refute my opponents, point that if their old enough to vote and enlist they can drink. I must disagree. Voting, enlisting are actually citizens duties and not privileges such as drinking, while smoking is also a privilege at 18, the US Government is also thinking about highering the age.

Isn't also a privelege or a choice to fight for your country? In some cases yes, in others were your drafted no. Well, were not talking about smoking so that age doesn't matter. Also, enlisting is not VOLUNTARY rather it is MANDATORY that every 18 year old male sign the papers in case of DRAFT. old enough to fight but not to drink

Lowering the drinking age back to 18 is that it is human nature to want what one cannot have. The fact that most college-age youth cannot legally drink alcohol makes many of them want to drink...and drink in large quantities...more than they would if it were legal. In the 1920s, the Prohibition laws banned the manufacture and sale of alcohol in the United States. This law failed miserably as alcohol consumption became rampant behind closed doors. By 1933, the law was overturned. Some researchers argue that raising the drinking age from 18 to 21 is, as Smith says, "America's second experiment with Prohibition" which is "no more effective than the first one.

I, again, would like to thank my opponent for accepting and good luck to him.
In the 3rd round, we have seen some very informal and my opponent's arguement seems unbreakable. However, I have found a flaw. Within the context of his argument he states that "because 18 year olds aren't allowed to have alcohol, of course they're going to drink it because it is not allowed." He has practically just mooted the PRO argument. My first point was that it would encourage even MORE underage drinking. If we lower the drinking age to 18, 16 and 17 year olds will do the same exact thing.
I urge a CON ballot because the PRO's argument has just been debunked and does not hold water.

Justinisthecrazy forfeited this round.

Well, my opponent just forfeited, and my argumet still stands strong, even after all the attacking I did.
I do commend my opponent for making every effort in arguing, however, the clear winner in today's debate is the CON.
I thank you all for viewing.

sorry, about that my computer was malfunctioning and what not.

But to attack his 3rd point. All he talks about is what will happen if we were to lower than the younger kids would start drinking. I strongly disagree for the reasons I already listed above.

I also would like to bring up that lowering the drinking age to 18 or lower like it already is in several countries is not a bad thing because it teaches tolerance and moderation. Moderation is a must and that is what it promotes look at the European model.

I apologize again for not being on to refute that arguement sooner.

I urge a an affirmative ballot, for being able to be drafted, vote, and serve on the jury but not be considered an adult for 3 years is somewhat contradictory, I also use the fact that it will teach moderation as it does in other countries, I also use the fact that if it is illegal for college people to drink it makes them crave it more, 2nd time prohibition isn't working.

Vote affirmative
Posted by zach12 7 years ago
megan don't call ideas you don't fully understand stupid. There once was a time when alcohol was banned, as you advocate, that time was called the prohibition.
Posted by Justinisthecrazy 7 years ago
little opinionated are we megan?
Posted by Meganrihanne1992x 7 years ago
ALchol is a main cause of mental health problems more than any other recreational drug, it would be stupid to lower it if anything i think they should ban it

&& My debates should be self explanatory if you understood what the subject was you would not have to question it
Posted by zach12 7 years ago
i think the real reasons they should lower the drinking age are:

1.) lets say your at a frat party with underage drinkers and one of them passes out after a binge. Nobody can call the police or the hospital because he drank illegally in the first place, but if it were legal they could have saved that person.

2.) the high drinking age makes a sort of prohibition for underage drinkers. We know the prohibition didn't work.

3.) the age makes underage drinkers drink in secret, without social moderaters.

4.) it makes underage drinkers get drunk as quickly as possible so as to avoid getting caught with the drinks in hand.

5.) just look to the European model
Vote Placed by Justinisthecrazy 7 years ago