derplington
spacenights

Should the USA own technically own the moon?

spacenights

derplington

Pro

Yes, I know there was agreement signed that no individual nation can own any object off of the planet Earth. My question is, why if one had gotten to it first, should it not technically be theirs. I'm not saying that if the US did own it that to look at it you would have to pay tribute, but that since we did make it there first, and before the agreement was signed, that it should be ours. I would condemn using it as a way to spy on other nations, or to house a military weapon, but just bragging rights I guess. I think that the USA should technically own the moon (above any other nation that is) since we got there first.
spacenights

Con

I don't see the point in the United States receiving ownership of the moon. It costs so much nowadays to go into space, let alone the moon. The last time the USA went to the moon was 42 years ago (Apollo 17). You mentioned that if someone got to it first, it should be theirs. By that logic, North America should still be owned by the Native Americans. The United States can't afford to spend millions of dollars to go into space, go to the moon, and make it theirs just for the sake of having "bragging rights".
derplington

Pro

When did I ever say about going back to it. And if my logic is correct the native Americans land was taken from them. I don't think another nation would care enough to spend so much money to take it away from the USA even if we did technically own it. So bragging rights could be ours without leaving the planet. Heh, heh... kind of sounds like a home delivery commercial."It could all be yours without leaving the comfort of your home!" In s way though, the moon is technically owned by the US there's no one else's flag on it, and no other nation has ever gone to it. Either way this argument is a nice little idea that came to mind because I was bored of waiting for votes on my other arguments.
spacenights

Con

Bragging rights don't matter. Wouldn't you much rather have a powerful army instead of owning a giant rock? I'm not saying that the moon is useless, but owning it wouldn't benefit this country. I don't understand what we, as a nation, can achieve by owning the moon. You stated that a foreign country wouldn't care enough to buy the moon from us. If they didn't care, then why should we even care about owning it in the first place? Just because we are the only country that went there doesn't mean we automatically have the right to it.

The American flag is on the moon to mark the accomplishment of being the first country to actually go there, not to mark territory. We should never be able to own any parts of space. Space is meant to be something that should be explored and studied freely. If we own the moon, it will not stop there. It will get to the point where there will be so many territories in outer space that it will no longer be the endless void that can be explored freely, thereby going against Article I of the Outer Space Treaty of 1967.

"The exploration and use of outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, shall be carried out for the benefit and in the interests of all countries-"

Another segment of Article I states the following:

"Outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, shall be free for exploration and use by all States without discrimination of any kind, on a basis of equality and in accordance with international law, and there shall be free access to all areas of celestial bodies-"

I enjoyed this debate. Despite my disagreements, it was a fun topic to discuss. Good luck on the voting period.
Posted by derplington 2 years ago
derplington
If I won this argument I'd laugh. Maybe I'll make more ridiculous topics just for fun.
Posted by derplington 2 years ago
derplington
Ugh... I wish people would read the comments. (I also wish I made a third round).
Posted by derplington 2 years ago
derplington
Did anyone even read my second argument? I didn't say the moon would benefit anyone, I just said that it should technically be the USA's. As for you McFaully, finders keepers doesn't last forever. Like I said in my ARGUMENT, finders keepers doesn't apply if someone else takes it away. If we did gain technical ownership of the moon, no one would try to take it from us. Either way though, your arguments are invalid, because my hair is a bird.
Posted by bustercherry 2 years ago
bustercherry
swag
Posted by McFaully 2 years ago
McFaully
If the rules of ownership are that whoever was there first owns it. Then I'm sorry but the United States doesn't exist because the Natives own it. I'm Canadian and I've even agree to say that if this were the case we wouldn't own our country cause whoops they were her first so they are hereby the eternal rulers of the North American Continent. So if "Derp's" points are to be valid because the US was there first. Then the whole existence of US ownership of their territory is flawed and illegitimate.
Posted by derplington 2 years ago
derplington
True... so we must destroy the Hive. (Eh.. Eh.. get it, Destiny. Are we on the same page here?)
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
The USA shouldn't own the moon. It would anger the aliens that live in the moons core.
Posted by derplington 2 years ago
derplington
Please excuse my grammar on the title and my mistake on when the USA landed on the moon. The treaty was signed in1967 while we landed there in 1969. We DID NOT land there before the agreement.
Vote Placed by Josh_b 2 years ago
Josh_b
derplingtonspacenightsTied
Reasons for voting decision: bragging rights for the moon was cute, but not a good argument. We got their first was good, but Con negated it by comparing it to ownership of Native americans.