gbellezza
princetongurl

Should the United States be helping out Japan in its disaster relief?

gbellezza

Con

I do not believe that the United States should be spending money on a disaster relief fund for Japan after the latest devastating combination of a 9.0 earthquake and a tsunami that ravaged so much of the land. But just because so many people there are dead, injured, and missing that is no reason we should be spending money we do not have to help Japan.

Believe me I do not have a hardened heart and some of the money is donated ($64 million as of yesterday), but we have our own poverties all over the United States we should be taking care of first before we worry about other countries.
princetongurl

Pro

Japan like any country is independent, strong, and prepared for anything that may come their way, but right now that has been put to a halt. Although I do agree that we as a country have our own problems, but we, as humans, were put on this Earth to provide and help others in their time of need and grief. The money that is donated will help children who have nothing. No parents, cousins, siblings. All of what they have is gone...under ruble no where to be found. Personally we Americans do not have any problems compared to what has happened in Japan. That is America X 10 . In your first round you said about 64 million dollars had been donated. Do you know how much that is? That can not only provide someone a lifetime if saved, but it could last at the most several of generations. With more money not only could it help children, but it could help adults who are in need of water and food, not an ipad or a house. These people have nothing to eat, there is absolutely no food, and what there is there is not enough. Hopefully this will make you think about where that money is going towards....I cannot wait to see what lies ahead in the next two rounds....
gbellezza

Con

I am reiterating the point that i made where i said that i do not have a hard heart. I know the devastation. I know there are children walking around with no parents or family left, house gone, not sure what to do. But I do also realize we have children in America in almost the same situation and it was not caused by a natural disaster.

You seem to make Americans out to be people just focused on buying that ipad or leasing that brand new $100,000 car. The people who buy a house here are doing so most of the time with a families best interest in mind. What if Americans donated some of the $64 million they were able to come up with (and still rising) to foster homes in America so the children who are abandoned by their parents because they are unwanted to because their parents would rather pick a life of drugs or even those kids who lost all family in a horrific car crash. Do you think that would be a better use of the money than giving it to relief funds in a country on the other side of the globe?

It is common knowledge that other countries do not seem to like us, but no matter what we are there to bail out these countries who suffer these major disasters because it is the "American Way". But lets take one of our bigger natural disasters of recent times...Hurricane Katrina. This natural disaster ravaged most of New Orleans. Endless countries donated some sort of help to the United States but Japan actually clocked in at one of the lowest totals donated.

"The Japanese Foreign Ministry said that it would provide $10,000 in cash to the American Red Cross to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina. Japan also identified needs in affected regions via the U.S. government and provided up to $10,000 in emergency supplies such as tents, blankets and power generators if they receive requests from the U.S. for such assistance. Private and corporate donations totaled over $13 million.[33] One Japanese individual, Takashi Endo, donated USD $1 million from his personal funds to Katrina relief efforts."

You asked if i knew how much $64 million was. Yes i know how much money that is. Its clearly not loose change in a business mans pocket. But you said it is enough to provide for a lifetime if it is saved. So by this are you saying that the money should go to the people affected by this into a bank account for them to use? That could be a huge waste of American money if the wrong people are given some of it. Take for example a Chinese drug dealer. His house has jut been destroyed. But here comes American aid donated to the rescue. He can take a portion of the money to get to a new city in Japan and buy a house. The rest might as well be monopoly money. He is going to be able to use that cash to purchase more drugs and begin selling in his new residence.

The money should be used to rebuild cities completely destroyed and used to help the clean-up process. That is the only way Japan will ever recover. And we are not the only country donating to them. So why do we have to be so instrumental in doing so. If we do not give them funds, they will eventually recover no matter what because they are "independent, strong, and prepared for anything that may come their way".

I believe that $64 million donated this far along with the money sent over by our government would do us a country much better if we helped out own people in need.

I am very excited to see where this debate goes from here (By the way, it is a 5 rounder)
princetongurl

Pro

I clearly understand that you do not have a hard heart. Although we do have children in America with that devastation does not mean that they are not our first priority. Yes, children in America should be are first priority, but along with that we should be helping many others. Sure, giving 64 million ( and more) could go to something better in the U.S., but we all must remember that anything in the word affects EVERYONE. That means some how or another this horrific disaster that has killed many will somehow backfire on us as a country. It could be something as small as a pea, but it could be something larger than one can imagine, the future holds many possibilities that you, me, or anyone could never imagine (keep that in mind).

Of course Japan clocked in as having one of the lowest total donations donated, but what is the point of revenge. If you asked a friend to do something for you, and they said no, at least one time have you helped them out in their time of need and grief. Revenge brings no better, it just starts more trouble than their was in the first place. As you said before Japan was one of the many various donaters to support Katrina. At least they went out of their way, and supported this catastrophe. According to American.gov Japan donated around 14.5 million dollars to this event.

Of course the government will donate something. IT is just common sense. All countries will. No matter whether it is $1 or $100,000,000. The rest of the money comes from general American citizens who want to donate this cause. Recently I have seen all over money being donated to Japan by my peers, neighbors, and surroundings. In return of my donation I received a red bracelet stating "HOPE." Hope that people will over come this event, and have faith. Remember America is not the only on in this battle. Europe, Spain, Australia, Africa, etc., are also donating to this worthy cause

Trust me, this has its ups and down. I will definitely be surprised when judging comes around. This topic has its motives, who knows where it could go.... :)
gbellezza

Con

I am not out for a revenge tactic. Im not saying because they bombed Pearl Harbor years ago, that we should turn a blind eye. But i still stand by the fact that the money could be spent in America for a better cause. All we hear about is that we have no money and no jobs. If the government is going to donate money, they should use that money to create jobs that would be more lucrative that buying cases of water to go to the Japanese people. As a country, we are suffering as well except not for reasons brought on by a natural disaster. School districts all over the world are having massive layoffs meaning that the quality of learning for children are less and less. That money could help the budgets and help the teachers keep their jobs and help the next generation get the best out of the learning as they can

Yes countries all over the world are helping, but that could be seen as a reason as to why we dont need to be so helpful. Japan is getting tons of relief without our help.

Yes i also agree. Cant wait for voting.
princetongurl

Pro

princetongurl forfeited this round.
gbellezza

Con

due to my competitor forfeiting this past round, when the voting period comes there should be no other option but to vote for my side
princetongurl

Pro

princetongurl forfeited this round.
gbellezza

Con

gbellezza forfeited this round.
princetongurl

Pro

princetongurl forfeited this round.
Posted by princetongurl 5 years ago
princetongurl
I did not drop out... I just did not reply in time... sorry. Please start the next round and I will comment as soon as possible..SORRY!!