litzyc
Gentleman-Squirtle

Should the United States punish Cyber Bully's?

litzyc

Pro

I believe that they should punish cyber bullies because it can lead to detrimental consequences of their victims and lots of people have lost their lives due to these consequences.
Gentleman-Squirtle

Con

Hello. My name is Gentleman Squirtle. I would like to formally greet you and state that I accept your debate.

Do you mean cyber bullying in school districts should be punished? Or do you mean that cyber bullying in general should be punished? I will assume you meant the latter for the purpose of my argument. No, cyber bullying should not be punished because it really is an expression of free speech. (Insulting someone i.e “This guy is a f****ng f*g and he should kill himself”).

[1]Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Also what kind of society would we live in where we don’t have the right to be offensive a*******s? Freedom of speech does not stop where your feelings begin. When it comes to expression of speech and opinion no matter what someone says you don’t have the right to stop them. It is fundamentally wrong, because if that was the standard someone with an opposing point of view to yours could easily turn this argument on you and claim you’re offending them in turn censoring you. That’s why I have always promoted the idea that no thoughts should be censored even if they hurt our feelings, because hey that protects your right to say something that would hurt their feelings. It’s just equivalent exchange.

If you’re referring to sexual exploitation demonstrated in the Amanda Todd case I don’t believe it should be held under the same light as cyber bullying. What happened to Amanda Todd was sexual exploitation of a minor not cyber bullying. Sexual exploitation is defined as:

[2]Sexual abuse of children and youth through the exchange of sex or sexual acts for drugs, food, shelter, protection, other basics of life, and/or money.

What Amanda Todd was gaining from exposing her breasts on the internet was attention.

“Then got called stunning, beautiful, perfect, etc...” – Amanda Todd (suicide video 30 sec. in)

https://www.youtube.com...

This man extorted Amanda Todd, he used sly tricks to make her reveal her body. But in the end does she not have personal responsibility? Does she not have the responsibility to keep herself safe from predators. She was a fool for exposing herself, even under mental duress. It is still her fault. She is not a victim of cyber bullying.

The use of electronic communication to bully a person, typically by sending messages of an intimidating or threatening nature.

The man was extorting her for nude pictures and she delivered under the duress of blackmail. But the thing is that she did not stop it when it was discovered that she had stripped. She continued even though everyone knew about it. This show’s a level of complicity she had. She did not play an active enough role to prevent it.

http://www.9wtf.com...;

After majority of the incident’s were over (the naked picture’s being circulated) Amanda Todd was severely bullied at school, she was mocked and ridiculed even when she transferred schools. She was also severely cyber bullied. But the thing with the internet is that you do not have the right to use it if you don’t have a fairly thick skin. Most of the damage was done in real life but still a proportional chunk was contributed by the steady flow of hatred. The thing is that she didn’t deal with it the right way. She didn’t adopt the respectable “F**k you all I don’t need the opinions of trash like you” stance instead she took the “Drinking bleach stance”.

She ended up committing suicide due to cyber bullying. Incorrect! She committed suicide because she was too weak, too feeble minded to accept that some a*******s don’t like her. She took the ultimately weaker path of suicide.

Cyber bullying should not be punishable by the law because that would be an abridgement of the freedom of speech outlined in the first amendment. The freedom of speech does not waver because some people will be hurt by it. All I have to say is that the internet is a cesspool of scum and filth and if you’re not willing to plunge yourself into the deepest trenches than get the f**k off the internet.

[1] "Bill of Rights Transcript." Government Archives. The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration, n.d. Web.

[2] "What Is Sexual Exploitation?" Sexual Exploitation Toolkit. Justice Institute of British Coloumbia, 2008. Web. 10 May 2015.

Well that was my argument old boys, have a jolly day. – Gentleman Squirtle

litzyc

Pro

litzyc forfeited this round.
Gentleman-Squirtle

Con

Gentleman-Squirtle forfeited this round.
litzyc

Pro

litzyc forfeited this round.
Gentleman-Squirtle

Con

Posted by Gentleman-Squirtle 2 years ago
Gentleman-Squirtle
To brad1999. You're wrong. You do have the right to say f***k you to your teacher and to tell your boss to shut up. Will they kick you out of class or fire you is a whole other issue. You still have the right to do that. The reason a woman can't go naked on a side walk and claim freedom of expression is because there are explicit laws against public nudity (exept in zones where it is legal i.e nude beaches). Well of course media can't barge into someone's home because humans have a right to privacy. But the poin't I am trying to argue bringing up the freedom of speech portion of the first amendment is that it defends speech that may offend you, but on the flipside it allows you to present points and opinions that offend others. Also I was not really bringing in the other parts of the amendment (i.e freedom of media) I boldened the part I wanted to emphasize.
Posted by brad1999 2 years ago
brad1999
Well cons 1st Amendment comments are invalid. Yes you may have freedom of speech, expression, and media but it is limited

Freedom of speech- You can't say f**k you to a teacher at school and say I have a freedom of speech or tell your boss at work to shut up when your mad and say I have a freedom of speech no you can't because you could get suspended from school or fired from work.

Freedom of expression- A women/man can't be naked on a sidewalk and say I have Freedom of Expression no you will get arrested for indecent exposure

Freedom of Media- Media can't just barge into a celebrities home and say I have a freedom of media and that's trespassing.

My point is that everything in the constitution has a limit or a loophole to get passed