Stefy
KeithChan

Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

Stefy

Pro

First round for acceptance. I support the them changing their name.
*Please do not use racial slurs on this debate.
KeithChan

Con

I will take you on. The redskins is an okay name and a catchy one at that.
Stefy

Pro

I believe they should change their name because it is highly offensive to Native Americans.
1) The origin of the word Redskins is that Native Americans were murdered and the colonists would take their "redskin" off their head
2) The most common mascots are Native Americans and animals. That's how much this name dehumanizes them
3) The reason it is offensive is the same reason lawn jockies are offensive. An oppressed people is not a novelty
4) It is a dictionary defined racial slur. You wouldn't call them the Washington Any Other Racial Slur
I think all these reasons trump the name being catchy.
KeithChan

Con

KeithChan forfeited this round.
KeithChan

Con

Sorry about my forfeit. I lost track of my time.

1) One reason why this name is okay is the usage. A lot of people think that just because you can link something to a racial slur does not make it racist. There are many racial slurs used to describe how people look (Black, White, Asian) and redskins is included in that list. It is not meant to be racist.

2) A BBC News Magazine online article by Tom Geoghegan (posted 9/13/2013) deals with the history of the term "redskins." It was used by natives in America to distinguish themselves from the Europeans. This tidbit comes from Ives Goddard, senior linguist at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History in Washington, DC. Goddard points out that a term used by the natives themselves is derogatory does not make any sense.

3) In rebuttal to your point about mascots, the point of a mascot is not to "dehumanize" things. Mascots are designed to represent power and superiority. The fiercer the mascot, the fiercer the team. This brings me to my final point.

4) The names of many sports teams are designed to be threatening (shown in previous point). The Native Americans, or "redskins" were quite scary, and opposed the colonists even if it risked their lives. It defines the spirit of the team (fierce and resilient), not a racist slur.
Posted by Edwing 2 years ago
Edwing
Bacon solves all issues people, worship your god oh mighty bacon and thee shall save your life from thi ancient pan!

ALL HAIL BACON!
HAIL BACON HAIL BACON HAIL BACON
Posted by MissSaraDal 2 years ago
MissSaraDal
The word "RedSkin" has a racist background so how course the team should change it
Posted by Stefy 2 years ago
Stefy
Ill write it like that in the debate
Posted by Stefy 2 years ago
Stefy
their is not edited version because im bad at editing.
and second, i cchanged ine word that wouldnt change anything anyway
Posted by kbub 2 years ago
kbub
Too late. You should suggest to KeithChan that you debate the edited version instead--challenge him to a new edited debate if he agrees to call this one a tie.
Posted by Stefy 2 years ago
Stefy
but i cant figure out how D:
Posted by Stefy 2 years ago
Stefy
kbub: youre right. i can edit
Posted by kbub 2 years ago
kbub
Do you mean: "Should the Washington Red*kins change their name?"
Posted by gomergcc 2 years ago
gomergcc
It not possible to have this debate without using racial slurs since red skin is a racial slur. lol