steveplaysguiola
Godridden95

Should the age of minority/majority be abolished?

steveplaysguiola has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

steveplaysguiola

Pro

Age is just a number. This is a true statement. To group PEOPLE based on any external characteristic such as age, is by definition, discrimination. It is the standard philosophy of America to not discriminate. This philosophy has been adapted to adhere to the voices of citizens throughout the course of history. First it was all men. Then all adults, with a few exceptions. I suggest that the criteria now be humanity itself. All people, regardless of any external or uncontrollable characteristics, should be treated equally.
Godridden95

Con

Thank you for posting this debate. I will obviously be taking up the side that is against your argument. May the better argument win.

I’m afraid I don’t quite understand the phrase, “...age of minority/majority...” fully so when you get a chance please elaborate. On that note however, I am going to attempt to refute your opening statement.

Rebuttal:

“Age is just a number.”
> Age is a measurement, a “unit” if you will. That establishes how long someone or something has been on this earth, in years. So yes, age, is a number, that is used to measure.

“To group PEOPLE based on any external characteristic such as age, is by definition, discrimination.”
> I like how you highlighted the word “people” as to emphasize the basis of your argument. Grouping PEOPLE by external characteristics is NOT discrimination. To insult them or separate them physically or systematically is discrimination. Simply because you are 23 and the state recognizes that, does not mean you are being discriminated against. It is what you are, and the reasoning behind illegalizing certain things for certain ages is based on rational. That of which I will get into in time.

“I suggest that the criteria now be humanity itself. All people, regardless of any external or uncontrollable characteristics, should be treated equally.”
> I agree, people should not be discriminated against because of factors they cannot control. However, age, is something in which every single human being inherits, along with every single living thing on this planet. Age is not being used as a tool of discrimination and here is why.

Argument:

1.) Age is the length of time that a person has lived or a thing has existed. A harmless number that simply shows how long you’ve been here. Age is attached to everything. For instance: This rock is 1,320 years old. Or: This child is 8 years old. Anything and everything has age, regardless of living or not. However, you specifically stated we shouldn’t use age as a way to categorize people of criminalize certain things because of someone’s age. I obviously disagree.

2.) “Child” is a word used to describe a living being that is below adulthood. In the United States, you are considered a child until you are 18 years old. You can also, vote, smoke, and watch adult rated movies. When you hit 21, you can now drink, and carry a handgun. However, in Germany, you can do all of that when you turn 18. Depending on where you go, age plays a role in how society believes you should be treated and what you should be allowed to do. However, basic human rights, and the rights of all people are still practiced by those of all ages.

In the U.S. constitution, it states that you must be at least 18 years of age to vote. This is because, a person’s education ends when they turn 18 (for most people). And the age 18 is also around the time puberty ends, which by any species, is when you are able to reproduce. Children are not allowed to vote, drive, drink, smoke, watch adult films, go to bars, go to certain gatherings, be out past curfew, deny going to school, etc… because they are still developing and learning, they are supposed to be taken care of and taught proper responsibility by the parents and by the school system. We should not allow a 40 year old man to have sexual relations with a 14 year old simply because we don't want to discriminate against anyone based on age. 18 is considered the age of adulthood along with the age of consent.

3.) Age helps society determine what is appropriate for an individual to do and perceive and what is not. It is a unit that measures both maturity and wisdom and should be most definitely taken into account when dealing with any situation. Discriminating against someone because of their age would be as follows: You are not smart because you are only 16. Or you are to old to do anything good because you are 60. You are weak because you are only 10 years old. Discrimination arrives when we start claiming people’s faults are because of unchangeable attributes, not because they are measured in a rational manner.

This was my argument, if I was way off I apologize but I hope to see your argument and counterargument, I am very eager to hear it.

Discrimination:
- "the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex." (google…)

Age:
- https://www.merriam-webster.com...
- https://en.wikipedia.org...

Constitution:
- https://www.britannica.com...
- https://www.law.cornell.edu...

Puberty:
- http://teenhealthsource.com...

Thanks,
Godridden95