Should the bible and prayer be put back in schools?

Why would the supreme court vote not to have prayer in schools! we where better with it!

I would like to thank my opponent for his challenge and will do my best to provide a clear meaningful refutation of his resolution. I would like to send my opponent my respects for engaging in this debate with me and I hope he will focus entirely on the proof of his implied (but not stated) resolution, that mandated readings of the Christian Bible and the Lord's Prayer (from the Christian Bible) by public learning institutions be deemed constitutional by the United States Supreme Court.

Again I am assuming that my opponent seeks argue with the ruling of Supreme Court Justices on the case: ABINGTON SCHOOL DIST. v. SCHEMPP, 374 U.S. 203 (1963) as is shown directly in the link below for his, and the voter's viewing pleasure.

I will post my refutations when my opponent shows proof (as he has the burden of proof in this debate) that mandated readings of both the Bible and of the Lords prayer (both of Christian origin) both do not conflict with the constitution.

I would like to thank my opponent for this subject and would also like to thank the voters in this debate for reading and voting on it.

I would like to state that I'm not a male I'm a female, THANK YOU very much.

in 1963, the Supreme Court handed down another important ruling dealing with prayer in public schools. In Abington Township School District v. Schempp, the court declared school-sponsored Bible reading and recitation of the Lord's Prayer unconstitutional.
If you any one knew about our founding fathers they would know that America was founded on biblical views, John Adams the second President of the united states, and one of the signers of the Declaration if Independence stated,"We Recognize No Sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus!" [April 18, 1775]
Also John Adams stated that " The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity… I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God."

I would like to thank my opponent for posting a prompt rebuttal, and would like to sincerely apologize for my mistake. I was not attempting to insult my opponent and meant no harm. I'm extremely sorry for mistaking her gender in two instances in my rebuttal. In my defense I had not explored her profile until after posting my rebuttal and thus did not know her gender. However this is no excuse, and I apologize for any personal harm (to whatever degree) that I have inadvertently inflicted upon my opponent from my mistake.

Now onto the debate.

My opponent starts off her argument by copying and pasting the supreme court case from my resolution, thereby inadvertently affirming the subject of the debate and furthermore the validity of the supreme court case.

I would like to make it clear to the voters in this debate that my opponent's point in R3 was that mandated readings of the Christian Bible and Lords Prayer are indeed constitutional in public learning institutions because the "founding fathers" were themselves Christian and established the United States based on the principles of Christianity. The evidence suggested that this is indeed the case is the following:

1. Two quotes that revealed that he believed in Christ, and had the personal opinion that this nation was founded on Christianity.

While I respect the views of John Adams, he is certainly not the ultimate authority on whether this nation was founded on Christianity, nor does he comprise a majority of the "founding fathers". He is only one of them. Additionally the Declaration of Independence is entirely different from the Constitution of the Untied States.

Therefore I would like to request that voters reject this small scrap of evidence (that does not have any source backing it up) as proof that the United States was founded on the principles of Christianity.

Additionally I wish voters to observe this quote:

"As the government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen [Muslims] ... it is declared ... that no pretext arising from religious opinion shall ever product an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries....
"The United States is not a Christian nation any more than it is a Jewish or a Mohammedan nation."
-- Treaty of Tripoli (1797), carried unanimously by the Senate and signed into law by John Adams (the original language is by Joel Barlow, US Consul)

(See art. 11)

Since my opponent has not attempted to refute that the constitution does not advocate Christianity, she has then conceded that the constitution does not advocate mandated readings of the Lords Prayer and that of the Christian Bible.
Since she has conceded that the constitution does not advocate the above practice, she has conceded that the Supreme Court made the correct decision by ruling that the above practice is unconstitutional. This therefore disproves my opponent's implied resolution which she affirmed in R3 when she did not refute my interpretation of her resolution.

Furthermore I have disproved the notion offered by my opponent that John Adams indeed believed that the United States was a Christian nation.

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate, and would like to again offer my apologies for the mistake of her gender. I sincerely hope I have not offended her, as I have only the highest hopes of keeping this debate as friendly and as mannerly as possible.

Valeria forfeited this round.

scissorhands7 forfeited this round.
Posted by gonovice 7 years ago
I would just like to say that it's good to remove it. Religion is to broad now, and you can't do it in a public place without offending someone. It is unfortunate, but that's the way it is.
Posted by asyetundefined 7 years ago
I vote to burn all remaining bibles in existence.
Posted by knick-knack 7 years ago
What like required recitation of prayer from the bibe?????

That's insane!!!!
The government can't force religion on anybody, or support just one or two religions. They have to support all religions or no religions.
That's the Constitution dude.
Vote Placed by JBlake 7 years ago